Take my Chances or Retake? HELP!

ATTN: Experts and Professionals that know everything about AD Rated Boards! 
(Posting for S/O)
Here is my personal rundown:

I am a non-tech major with a 3.6 GPA, I made a 78 on my Pilot and an 85 on my Nav. All of my AFOQT Scores are a 78/85/57/37/23. 

I took my TBAS Friday and made a 40 for my PCSM with no flight hours. I really am confused about how I made a 40 or how it is scaled because I thought I only missed 10 or less. I have a lot of leadership experience, community service, managing positions, etc. I am worried that my PCSM is going to ruin my chances despite the other scores and my personal packet. I really don't know if I would even be able to get enough flight hours before boards for it to count, or if it would be worth it? Most of the posts I have seen are people with 200+ flight hours and so they make an overall 80 on their PCSM which would put their PCSM lower than mine to begin with. 

How do my scores compare? Do you think I have a shot? Would it be worth it to show the board that I cared enough to shove some flight hours before boards to show that I really want this? Am I freaking out about this for no reason or should I just wait the 6 months, miss this board, and apply for the next one? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by BriannaNicole

I would not say I'm an expert by any means, but this will be my second time applying for the rated board on active duty (trying to cross train). I've been talking to the major who is in charge of the board and he's telling me "do everything you possibly can". looking at the strats of the people who have gotten picked up in the previous years, they are looking for 80 pcsms and above with a ppl. Which means get a ppl
And as many flight hours as you can before the board meets. That's my two sense, take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

10 hours ago, BriannaNicole said:

ATTN: Experts and Professionals that know everything about AD Rated Boards! 

Here is my personal rundown:

I am a non-tech major with a 3.6 GPA, I made a 78 on my Pilot and an 85 on my Nav. All of my AFOQT Scores are a 78/85/57/37/23. 

I took my TBAS Friday and made a 40 for my PCSM with no flight hours. I really am confused about how I made a 40 or how it is scaled because I thought I only missed 10 or less. I have a lot of leadership experience, community service, managing positions, etc. I am worried that my PCSM is going to ruin my chances despite the other scores and my personal packet. I really don't know if I would even be able to get enough flight hours before boards for it to count, or if it would be worth it? Most of the posts I have seen are people with 200+ flight hours and so they make an overall 80 on their PCSM which would put their PCSM lower than mine to begin with. 

How do my scores compare? Do you think I have a shot? Would it be worth it to show the board that I cared enough to shove some flight hours before boards to show that I really want this? Am I freaking out about this for no reason or should I just wait the 6 months, miss this board, and apply for the next one? 

Thanks in advance! 

AFOQT pilot is a little low IMHO. My AFOQT scores: 99 pilot, 92 nav, 95 acad apt, 77 verbal, and 99 quant. My PCSM just went from 72 to 76 after I went from 34 hours to 40-50 hours. I was told at a recent interview with a fighter unit that I had "outstanding scores". I didn't happen to agree, but nonetheless smiled like an idiot and pretended to agree. The PCSM 2.0 makes flying hours count WAY more, and I guess I thought that the "sucks to suck" rule applied if you had a low score due to not enough hours. But then again they told me they look at the last column (i.e. 200+ hours), which for me would be low 90s. What's your PCSM at 200+ hours?

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BriannaNicole said:

@tk1313 If I had the 200 hours it would be an 82. So are you saying that they just look at the column for 200+ hours to see what the suspected score would be whether or not you have the hours? 

Your scores are great! My pilot is a little lower, but I have talked to two or three ROTC recruiters as well as my own and they all said that I made higher than any of their students, and I don't have a technical degree or anything, so I was overall OK with my score. I wish I had time to take it again though, because not I know kind of what to expect! 

OK, so you don't have time to take it again? I wasn't trying to pull you down about your AFOQT.. I just meant, given the choice of a retake between the TBAS and AFOQT, I would study more for the AFOQT and just retake that. I'm sure you could get in the 90s.

Good luck! And make sure you read what the recruiter lays in front of you before signing. Plenty of horror stories on the boards and elsewhere about signing away your life for something you don't want to do.

This is for the OTS board right? See the link below. Someone compiled a list of stats from a previous board. It might give you a baseline to compare your stats to others but remember it will change from year to year. You can retake both the AFOQT and TBAS which might be something you should consider. There are some great study books out there for the AFOQT, the test itself is not hard in my opinion but it is quick so the study guides help you answer the questions at the right pace.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W-0XfDIsz1t5cvOv8dfdPWtRCsfyNJ6E1d8-SdEDixM/edit#gid=0

• 2 years later...
Tell your boyfriend he can post for himself if he wants advice.

Disagree completely. Thanks for being a part of the board and supporting your significant other. Go into this journey with open eyes and realize the path is a difficult one for the whole family. In many respects I believe it to be harder on the non-mil member. I hope some of the younger/more recent applicants can offer some good advice. Best of luck to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2