Applying soon, how do I look?

Astro_Rekt

Hello everyone,

I'm submitting an application for the upcoming AD rated board. I've asked my recruiter what her thoughts are on my standing, but more opinions would be nice.

27 years old, Bachelors of Journalism from University of Oregon - 3.42 GPA

PCSM - 85; Pilot - 97; Nav - 97; ABM - 96 (Don't have copy of other scores, I think they're similar)

Flight Hours - 12

I don't have much leadership experience on my resume, which I think is my biggest downfall. I've done a lot of volunteering with youth, through after school programs, summer camps, and GED tutoring, but nothing very recent.

I've been looking at applying to ANG units as well - I live in Portland, and while they're hiring, I'm not going to get my hopes up with fighter units.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Your scores are good.

if you're AD go to the portal search UFT and there are links there with PowerPoints of the previous 3 boards with max-min and avg scores for all categories.

hope this helps

Edited by kurt55

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, Astro_Rekt said:

Hello everyone,

I'm submitting an application for the upcoming AD rated board. I've asked my recruiter what her thoughts are on my standing, but more opinions would be nice.

27 years old, Bachelors of Journalism from University of Oregon - 3.42 GPA

PCSM - 85; Pilot - 97; Nav - 97; ABM - 96 (Don't have copy of other scores, I think they're similar)

Flight Hours - 12

I don't have much leadership experience on my resume, which I think is my biggest downfall. I've done a lot of volunteering with youth, through after school programs, summer camps, and GED tutoring, but nothing very recent.

I've been looking at applying to ANG units as well - I live in Portland, and while they're hiring, I'm not going to get my hopes up with fighter units.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Is that 85 your PCSM at 200+ hours or at 12 hours? If it's the latter, no need to be humble... Unless you held up a bank or have atrocious health you'd probably get a slot pretty easily. Just my $0.02

Edited by tk1313

On 12/1/2016 at 8:36 PM, kurt55 said:

Your scores are good.

if you're AD go to the portal search UFT and there are links there with PowerPoints of the previous 3 boards with max-min and avg scores for all categories.

hope this helps

Kurt55, those scores are for current Active Duty Officers cross training to Rated. I get the feeling that OP is talking about an OTS board which is slightly less competitive in my opinion.

OP, your scores look good, the 85 PCSM is pretty good considering the low flight hours. Sounds like you must have done well on the TBAS. I have similar scores and was invited to interview at Portland (not selected though) so I wouldn't rule them out completely. 

On 12/5/2016 at 8:12 AM, tk1313 said:

Is that 85 your PCSM at 200+ hours or at 12 hours? If it's the latter, no need to be humble... Unless you held up a bank or have atrocious health you'd probably get a slot pretty easily. Just my $0.02

It's the latter - my plan was to complete my PPL come Spring (weather will be more consistent and I'll have the funds saved) if I'm not selected, and reapply then. With a PPL I should have a 93 PCSM, scaling up from there.

And to clarify, I'm applying for the civilian OTS board - I was trying to differentiate between AD and ANG, guess it was a bit confusing.

Thanks for the feedback! Kinda nice after all the "OTS pilot applications are extremely competitive" to get some positive info.

7 hours ago, Astro_Rekt said:

It's the latter - my plan was to complete my PPL come Spring (weather will be more consistent and I'll have the funds saved) if I'm not selected, and reapply then. With a PPL I should have a 93 PCSM, scaling up from there.

And to clarify, I'm applying for the civilian OTS board - I was trying to differentiate between AD and ANG, guess it was a bit confusing.

Thanks for the feedback! Kinda nice after all the "OTS pilot applications are extremely competitive" to get some positive info.

OTS pilot applications ARE extremely competitive, but a 93 PCSM 2.0 at 40-60 hours is about as high as you can go. If you're looking at high 90s for your 200+ hours, I'm pretty sure you're about maxed out.

I don't know when you took the test, but PCSM 2.0 is brutal for low flight hours. If you ran those scores recently, you're in really good shape.

Edited by tk1313

You'll be fine. Read, proofread, rewrite, read, proofread, rewrite, read, proofread your application and personal statement. I probably rewrote mine 60 times (at least). I rolled the dice and applied pilot-only and it worked out. There a bunch of civilian selects here that don't have PPLs and scores lower than your's. Polish the application and fire it off. Best of luck.

• Upvote 1