Dealing with and resolving chronic fatigue?

bb17

Hey guys. So here's the deal. I passed my FC1 with flying colors back in March and felt great. Started experiencing a chronic fatigue situation maybe around June and enlisted in August with the expectation that with some rest and a healthy lifestyle I could shake the fatigue situation off before heading to OTS in January. Well that hasn't happened so I've had to bump my OTS date back a couple months and now I'm under pressure to get it resolved. I've had some additional testing done and doctors can't find anything wrong with me but I feel like I got hit by a truck. Doctors have stated that it isn't really uncommon but often times it is not a diagnosable condition, and it really puts doubts in my head about succeeding as a military pilot and officer for the next 12 years. Regardless of military, I still need to get this sorted out. 

Have any of you encountered a health situation like this? Any recommendations for dealing with a health concern like this? 

Edited by bb17

Take some time off from whatever it is your doing. You would be amazed how much a couple days sitting on the couch, a 30 rack/bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverage, carry out and some "gettin jiggy with it" will do for the mind/body. Could also be a actual health problem. I would tread lightly, don't get yourself DQd before you even get to the show, at the same time you don't want to ignore a actual problem if it is one. 

I have minimal knowledge of the medical field, and know little about your situation, but you asked for a opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I'm assuming you probably have been working hard/stressing with college/work/family/OTS packages etc. Sometimes you just need to do what I said above. If being a drunken fat ass isn't your thing, go to your happy place wherever that may be and chill.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, viper154 said:

Take some time off from whatever it is your doing. You would be amazed how much a couple days sitting on the couch, a 30 rack/bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverage, carry out and some "gettin jiggy with it" will do for the mind/body. Could also be a actual health problem. I would tread lightly, don't get yourself DQd before you even get to the show, at the same time you don't want to ignore a actual problem if it is one. 

I have minimal knowledge of the medical field, and know little about your situation, but you asked for a opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I'm assuming you probably have been working hard/stressing with college/work/family/OTS packages etc. Sometimes you just need to do what I said above. If being a drunken fat ass isn't your thing, go to your happy place wherever that may be and chill.  

Yeah man I thought the same. I took a week off and went on a cruise and then chilled for a couple days when I got back. Lots of great beverages involved too. It didn't help me. 

I don't want to get DQ'ed obviously, but if I know about it before in-processing I could get a DEP discharge right away, otherwise I could be on the hook for a non-flying gig. Best to hear the bad news now and possibly get a waiver or being able to make a decision before having an obligation. Hopefully everything is okay. I just got myself scheduled for a thyroid screening tomorrow. The clinic I go to is ex-military pilots and doctors so they are cool about it fortunately. 

You might be right about the stress situation though. I currently run a local consulting firm and it is pretty demanding - I think doing that for years has taken a toll me on. However, I anticipate OTS and UPT to be even more demanding so I want to make sure I'm ready.

Thanks for your input! 

Edited by bb17

25 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Thyroid?  

Is this a DQ condition? I can get tested for that fairly quickly. It would be good to know. I just googled the symptoms and I have all of them except for irregular periods! 

Edited by bb17

16 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

Mono? That can take you from stud to dud in no time with hardly any symptoms besdies "fvck, I feel worthless".

I got that in high school from my hot girlfriend at the time but that was over 10 years ago. That got resolved over a couple weeks but I've had this fatigue for a few months. 

Edited by bb17

I've been battling fatigue off and on now for a while. First it was due to physical activities like racing motorcycles and training, mono, and then it transferred over to having kids, work, school, etc. Best things I found to "fix" the problem was to simply detox your body by clean eating/ drinking (water and smoothies) and mentally detox. What I mean by mentally detox is to spend some time away from it all in a secluded location like the mountains.

Sounds weird, but being in this atmosphere allows you to clear your thoughts and feel at ease. The brain is a powerful tool and you can do everything physically possible to rest, but you won't be able to truly feel better if your mind isn't right. Now, I'm not saying to role out the yoga mat and and meditate (could potentially help, but you'll probably fall asleep). Just enjoy the area by walking around, fishing, and spend at least 69 minutes a day with your wife. 

Good luck on fighting this issue. As mentioned above, it would suck to get this far and get DQed before you even start.

Found this in a unisex/gender-tolerant bathroom in SF, it was a very safe space... LOL. Anyway, it's actually good advice.

You're probably fine, I would just "ignore" it and eat/sleep/f.uck/exercise well. Going to the best pilot training program in the world to be a military aviator for the best Air Force in the world which is the best f.ucking thing there is to do in life should be good therapy for your problem. I know it's easy to just say to others, but sometimes issues like this are in your mind.

everything-is-awful.jpg

Edited by Bobsan

44 minutes ago, Bobsan said:

Found this in a unisex/gender-tolerant bathroom in SF, it was a very safe space... LOL. Anyway, it's actually good advice.

You're probably fine, I would just "ignore" it and eat/sleep/f.uck/exercise well. Going to the best pilot training program in the world to be a military aviator for the best Air Force in the world which is the best f.ucking thing there is to do in life should be good therapy for your problem. I know it's easy to just say to others, but sometimes issues like this are in your mind.

everything-is-awful.jpg

Ok, I guess I'll go and find a teddy bear and a pretty dress. Thanks, I feel better already. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bb17 said:

Ok, I guess I'll go and find a teddy bear and a pretty dress. Thanks, I feel better already. 

Not saying it's not a big deal or real condition,

19 hours ago, bb17 said:

it really puts doubts in my head about succeeding as a military pilot and officer for the next 12 years

but it sounds like it's waiverable/fixable and you could have a successful career.

23 minutes ago, Bobsan said:

Not saying it's not a big deal or real condition,

but it sounds like it's waiverable/fixable and you could have a successful career.

I was just being facetious - I actually do appreciate the input. And you're right in a lot of ways - often times attitude is everything. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2016 at 0:37 PM, stuckindayton said:

It is DQing, however easily waiverable if controlled with medication.

I didn't spend much time searching for this, but all I could find was under sleep disorders.  What are you referencing for waiver likelihood?

So I could use your input - what do you think the possibility is of getting a waiver for sleep apnea after enlisting in the AFRC, but before in processing with the 340th? Since i haven't actually been trained in anything yet I suspect they will want to just cut me loose before they have in investment in me. 

I have been seeking the guidance of some other folks as well - their assessment was that if I do have a potential DQ'ing medical condition (recruiter suggested it as well), that it might be best to get a DEP discharge before going on orders to in-process with the 340th, and if I show up to the 340th and get DQ'ed there I could already be on the hook for some other type of other non-deploying enlisted or officer commitment. I'm starting to feel like I'm playing with fire here.

Any suggestions?  

4 hours ago, bb17 said:

So I could use your input - what do you think the possibility is of getting a waiver for sleep apnea after enlisting in the AFRC, but before in processing with the 340th? Since i haven't actually been trained in anything yet I suspect they will want to just cut me loose before they have in investment in me. 

I have been seeking the guidance of some other folks as well - their assessment was that if I do have a potential DQ'ing medical condition (recruiter suggested it as well), that it might be best to get a DEP discharge before going on orders to in-process with the 340th, and if I show up to the 340th and get DQ'ed there I could already be on the hook for some other type of other non-deploying enlisted or officer commitment. I'm starting to feel like I'm playing with fire here.

Any suggestions?  

Can you not tough it out?

I've followed your posts and was excited for you when you got your age waiver and got selected for UPT.  Then you seemingly dodged another bullet by not having the 5 year AD commitment that the reserves are throwing around apply to you.  You're all set to be self employed as a civilian with the worlds most bomb ass job on the side as a pilot in the reserves.  You're on the verge of having it made.  After all that are you telling me that the show stopper is going to be "sleep apnea"?  Cmon dude, get a temper-pedic mattress and go to Walmart and buy some melatonin.  Then go to UPT.  

I'd kill to be in your place.  Not sure what else to say.

Edited by Slick
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Slick said:

Can you not tough it out?

I've followed your posts and was excited for you when you got your age waiver and got selected for UPT.  Then you seemingly dodged another bullet by not having the 5 year AD commitment that the reserves are throwing around apply to you.  You're all set to be self employed as a civilian with the worlds most bomb ass job on the side as a pilot in the reserves.  You're on the verge of having it made.  After all that are you telling me that the show stopper is going to be "sleep apnea"?  Cmon dude, get a temper-pedic mattress and go to Walmart and buy some melotonin.  Then go to UPT.  

I'd kill to be in your place.  Not sure what else to say.

I appreciate the input - and funny thing you mentioned the temper-pedic mattress, I bought one yesterday in hopes that it will help out and it gets delivered in a couple days. After testing it out I realized how shitty my mattress at home is. I even ordered a CPAP machine that I get this week as well. I'm not familiar with melotonin but maybe I need to look into it. I am trying these things behind the scenes to see what works so that I can succeed. However, in the meantime I am trying to get advice on here and elsewhere in case I need a plan B if I do have an issue. You're right man, I have an awesome thing set up here and its all I ever wanted - just a little concerned with this recent situation. 

Edited by bb17

I appreciate the input - and funny thing you mentioned the temper-pedic mattress, I bought one yesterday in hopes that it will help out and it gets delivered in a couple days. I even ordered a CPAP machine that I get this week as well. I'm not familiar with melotonin but maybe I need to look into it. I am trying these things behind the scenes to see what works so that I can succeed. However, in the meantime I am trying to get advice on here and elsewhere in case I need a plan B if I do have an issue. You're right man, I have an awesome thing set up here and its all I ever wanted - just a little concerned with this recent situation. 

Let me put it this way:

Nobody, including you, knows what's going on and why you're tired. I would continue to search for a solution if I were you but I would not do anything that jeopardized my chance at going to UPT.

What if this passes in a month and never comes back again?

What if it doesn't but you find a way to manage it?

You have a once in a lifetime opportunity, I wouldn't let that go. I wouldn't worry about failing out of UPT and having to do something else for the Reserves. If you eliminate yourself early, you're going to live with regret, for the rest of your life. You don't owe anybody anything, this is your chance, don't mess it up. If you get to UPT and feel you're too tired to fly, just tell them and sit that one out. If you do fly, there will be an IP in the back seat.

They say that, when you're on your death bed, you regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did. Start trying to get on a good sleep schedule, make sure you aren't over training in the gym or have too many irons in the fire, get plenty of calories, ease up on the booze if you're doing that often, and press.

This coming from a guy who spent $5k on a temper-pedic mattress in UPT because I ran into a slump where I wasn't sleeping well and tired all the time. Things worked out just fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 6