Getting into the AF Academy

ethanmccoy

Question

Hey guys I'm a junior in high school and very interested in applying to the AF Academy this coming year. My long term goal is to earn a pilot slot at either the academy or through ROTC. My question is, what does the academy look for in a high school student, what can I be doing right now to improve my chances of getting in, and what's the best way to get a nomination? If anyone out there is a graduate or current cadet I would love to hear what you did to get in and if you recommend it!

As far as ROTC goes, which ROTC programs are well known for their members getting pilot slots? Ive heard a lot about ERAU and VT, but wonder if there are others out there or if it really matters which ROTC program you go to as far as getting a pilot slot goes.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

I don't know much about getting in straight outta high school but I do know if for whatever reason you don't get in, it's not the end of the world. Two buddies of mine got in by joining the guard. AD and Guard/Reserve are offered the opportunity to apply and the pool of applicants are much smaller. Just an FYI

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

• Upvote 1

You'll need atleast a 3.75 GPA with APs if you want to get into the Academy. It was insanely competitive in 2008 when I was first applying and the incoming classes are even smaller now. You're almost guaranteed a pilot slot if you're medically qualified, but there are better institutions you can go to (you'll just have to pay for them). Some ROTC dets get more rated slots because some dets have more rated applicants. My det had very few that wanted to go rated. Also according to a friend whos there now, almost 100% of rated applicants get picked up at ERAU. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

You'll need atleast a 3.75 GPA with APs if you want to get into the Academy. It was insanely competitive in 2008 when I was first applying and the incoming classes are even smaller now. You're almost guaranteed a pilot slot if you're medically qualified, but there are better institutions you can go to (you'll just have to pay for them). Some ROTC dets get more rated slots because some dets have more rated applicants. My det had very few that wanted to go rated. Also according to a friend whos there now, almost 100% of rated applicants get picked up at ERAU. YMMV.

Thanks for the response, when you say "better institutions" what are you referring to?

13 hours ago, Mustang said:

I don't know much about getting in straight outta high school but I do know if for whatever reason you don't get in, it's not the end of the world. Two buddies of mine got in by joining the guard. AD and Guard/Reserve are offered the opportunity to apply and the pool of applicants are much smaller. Just an FYI

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

Don't enlist AD in an effort to get a slot at the Academy.

• Upvote 1

You'll need atleast a 3.75 GPA with APs if you want to get into the Academy.

This is 100% anecdotal and not a standard. Granted it was well over 10 years ago when I was involved with it, but I saw plenty of people get admitted with less than that (myself included). Don't let a GPA dissuade you from thinking you can get in. Of course, if you've got a 2.5 you're probably not going to make the cut.

Also, there are lots of secondary options to getting a spot at the zoo if it's really what you want. You've got the academy prep school itself, but there are several other prep schools that the zoo will send people to on what's called a "falcon scholarship." You spend one year there (there's on in CA, NM, and a couple others) and don't fail any classes and you're guaranteed acceptance to the zoo the following year. You can also pay your own way at these same prep schools and do what's called "self-prep" and it just makes your resume look a lot better for the following year.

But don't get this starry eyed view of the academy either. ROTC (or OTS) is no less legitimate than the academy and there's a good argument that it's better. And once everyone commissions and pins on 2LT, where you went to school won't ever matter again.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 4

A great source of information is http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php. This website covers all of the service academies.

As a junior in high school you need to take the ACT or SAT as soon as possible.  The AFA superscores so you can take it multiple times to get the best possible composite score. 

Here is information on the Nomination process:  http://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/the-application-process/nominations/

You need to have good grades, participation in extracurricular activities, volunteering.  President of your class, National Honor Society, etc all add to points to your application.

It is not easy but my son got into the AFA right out of high school.  He is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering and will probably be going to Grad School after graduation next May.  He has said on several occasions that he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.  It is a great school that offers a first class education.  There are tremendous opportunities there.  My son has been a glider instructor for the last two years and has really enjoyed it.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flyrod said:

A great source of information is http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php. This website covers all of the service academies.

As a junior in high school you need to take the ACT or SAT as soon as possible.  The AFA superscores so you can take it multiple times to get the best possible composite score. 

Here is information on the Nomination process:  http://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/the-application-process/nominations/

You need to have good grades, participation in extracurricular activities, volunteering.  President of your class, National Honor Society, etc all add to points to your application.

It is not easy but my son got into the AFA right out of high school.  He is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering and will probably be going to Grad School after graduation next May.  He has said on several occasions that he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.  It is a great school that offers a first class education.  There are tremendous opportunities there.  My son has been a glider instructor for the last two years and has really enjoyed it.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information. I plan on taking the ACT & SAT multiple times early next year and I am very active in my school and community service/volunteer work. Currently working on getting a job to pay for training to get my PPL. I hope it all pays off! Thanks again.

I forgot to mention John Baylor Test Prep, http://www.johnbaylorprep.com/ for ACT/SAT prep.  It helped my son A LOT on his ACT scores.  If you do all the exercises and practice tests and practice, practice, practice you will do well on it.  Use a stopwatch when practicing so that you will get used to how fast you have to answer questions to be able to complete each section.

12 hours ago, ethanmccoy said:

Thanks for the response, when you say "better institutions" what are you referring to?

I'm referring to the fact that the Academys got lots of pros AND cons. I know several people that go there, and without getting into any details I have very little respect for the Academy's honor board. If you get in (say you will for motivation) most likely you'll avoid having any problems but one of my friends wasn't so lucky. Stay away from classmates who think they can get away with anything.. even if they do. Not trying to discourage you, just be aware that not everyone follows the core values.

And while I personally would pick the AFA over the other commissioning sources for a variety of reasons, as many others on here have said the other routes can work out just fine and may offer you a path better suited for your needs. ROTC is a great option, the standards for entry are much lower, and you can still get a pilot slot while living a normal college lifestyle.