Just out of curiosity: What happens if you DQ before inprocessing, flunk OTS, or wash out of UPT as Reservist

I know this topic is taboo but I would like to know. Of course I am planning on great success but it will be good to know what the implications are if any of the above happen in the training pipeline, rather than be naive to the situation and have something unexpected come up if there is a situation. 

Do the Reserves basically decide what they get to do with you? If you drop before inprocessing are your just out of the system? If you have issues at OTS are you just a Reserve staff sergeant for a few years? If you wash out of UPT can you essentially just pack it up and go home or will they assign you another job? Just curious. Thanks! 

Edited by bb17

Caveat: my experiences were 10 years ago.  I saw people wash out of OTS and they were sent back to civilian life.  Prior enlisted folks went back to being enlisted active duty.  We had a handful of reservists, but they all graduated.  UPT washouts fell into 2 categories: couldn't hack it and quitters.  Quitters tended to get quickly outprocessed back to civilian life while good dudes who flew poorly were generally retrained into some other career field.  YMMV.

Dude that washed out of my OTS class got sent to BMT and was enlisted. You don't become a SSgt, doesn't work that way. Idk what the commitment is at that point. After OTS any failures I believe is a 4 year commitment. But that doesn't matter. More important factors are what you'll need at OTS or training questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Reserves works like the Air Guard then you get assigned another job if you wash out of UPT.  I've known a number of people who have done that and had successful careers in another career field.  I wouldn't worry about washing out of OTS as long as you come in decent shape and don't quit, it's not a weed-out course.

How does one eliminate themselves for the AFRC, if they have a medical condition come up after swearing in but before in-processing? I had a friend who simply did a dd214 and was on his way, but that was a couple years ago. What is the best way to proceed with that? 

How does one eliminate themselves for the AFRC, if they have a medical condition come up after swearing in but before in-processing? I had a friend who simply did a dd214 and was on his way, but that was a couple years ago. What is the best way to proceed with that? 

Fly, you want to opt out? Or you have a medically disqualifying issue? For the ladder you need to just say the issue. For the former, If you want to opt out you can. Self elimination is a thing at UPT at least. Idk what commitment you have to the military prior to OTS. It if it's medically disqualifying they'd probably thank you.

15 hours ago, GlassEmpty said:

Fly, you want to opt out? Or you have a medically disqualifying issue? For the ladder you need to just say the issue. For the former, If you want to opt out you can. Self elimination is a thing at UPT at least. Idk what commitment you have to the military prior to OTS. It if it's medically disqualifying they'd probably thank you.

I've had clinical depression propagate in the months since enlisting and I think it would be best for everybody if I eliminate myself from the process. Tough to admit that. 

Fly,
Sorry to hear about that. However, I'd exhaust every option available before you make a decision. Go visit a doctor on your own time, start working out, walk in the woods or try meditation. Stress effects us all differently and there's no shame in looking for ways to help release it. After all, you're admitting the problem, which is a good first step. If you've done all that you can and you're dead set on getting out, I'd imagine they're going to either a) make you see someone so they can prove it or b) ask for paperwork from a doctor you've seen. Either way, you'll be laying down on a couch.

This is pretty solid. Everyone has battles man. I think you know the opportunity you have at hand. Don't burn it until you know what's truly for you. Sounds strange to some, but fear of the unknown can mess with your mind as much as almost anything else imho. I'm not a doctor (obviously) but I can't imagine going through this process without having stress and I can only imagine what that does to your mental and physical health. Stay strong man. Seek help. Even if it isn't for the military or aviation, health is you and your families number one priority.