Guard vs. Reserve

sliceboard

I know a bit about how the two differ, but what about getting in? I know that the ANG in particular seems to like to hire from within, but how does one get hired into the guard as a pilot off the street? I have about four units (mostly KC135) in the west and northwestern U.S. that I'd like to shoot for but I see a bit of a roadblock in trying to get in to the guard when you're not from the unit. I guess the answer is "be a good dude" and do the best you can, but can it realistically be done if you're not from that unit?

I've only rushed one squadron, and I have my first interview coming up for a fighter unit that I applied to but didn't have the time to visit (applications are usually due on the last drill weekend that applicants visit). Many people on this site and many that I've met have had multiple interviews, and a lot of people I know have gotten hired in just about every airframe the AF flies. I'm not one of them, but I'll give you my 2 cents as a fellow newbie pilot wannabe.

The ANG seems to put out way more hiring notices than the Reserves, and I don't really know why... But if the ANG/Reserves are hiring, get into contact with someone and show up for drill weekend.  As for the "Am I going to get hired off the streets?" question, I would say you have just as good of a shot as someone in the unit in many cases. Don't act like you're better, and don't act like you're worse. Yes, there are some units that prefer to hire from within, but a lot of units have been burned by their own dudes/gals because they couldn't hack it in UPT. So rush any and all units like it's your life's goal because, well, it is...

I think the "be a good dude" thing is kind of obvious, but my take on it is to just be yourself. Pilots have damn near perfect instincts. They can pretty much tell who is being genuine, and who is acting like an ass and saying "bro" every other word because that's what the 1LTs do. It's really embarrassing to see the senior pilots cringing once the "I'm gonna act like a 23 year old fighter pilot ace even thought I'm a guy off the streets" dude shows up and starts acting like hot shit. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fighter wannabe through and through. If asked why I want fighters, my answer is going to be unique (and the best answer) compared to someone else's response...

Hope that helps, dude. Good luck!

6 hours ago, tk1313 said:

I've only rushed one squadron, and I have my first interview coming up for a fighter unit that I applied to but didn't have the time to visit (applications are usually due on the last drill weekend that applicants visit). Many people on this site and many that I've met have had multiple interviews, and a lot of people I know have gotten hired in just about every airframe the AF flies. I'm not one of them, but I'll give you my 2 cents as a fellow newbie pilot wannabe.

The ANG seems to put out way more hiring notices than the Reserves, and I don't really know why... But if the ANG/Reserves are hiring, get into contact with someone and show up for drill weekend.  As for the "Am I going to get hired off the streets?" question, I would say you have just as good of a shot as someone in the unit in many cases. Don't act like you're better, and don't act like you're worse. Yes, there are some units that prefer to hire from within, but a lot of units have been burned by their own dudes/gals because they couldn't hack it in UPT. So rush any and all units like it's your life's goal because, well, it is...

I think the "be a good dude" thing is kind of obvious, but my take on it is to just be yourself. Pilots have damn near perfect instincts. They can pretty much tell who is being genuine, and who is acting like an ass and saying "bro" every other word because that's what the 1LTs do. It's really embarrassing to see the senior pilots cringing once the "I'm gonna act like a 23 year old fighter pilot ace even thought I'm a guy off the streets" dude shows up and starts acting like hot shit. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fighter wannabe through and through. If asked why I want fighters, my answer is going to be unique (and the best answer) compared to someone else's response...

Hope that helps, dude. Good luck!

That does help. Thanks!