Military Equivalency Process

Spaceballs

Is the process pretty easy after graduation to take the test and get all the paperwork in order, schedule an appointment with the FSDO, etc? There's a guy offering to do all the legwork in Columbus for $250 as well as teach a class to help prepare for it, but we don't know how much is actually involved with it.

• 9 months later...

I have a buddy in the DFW area who is trying to get his mil equivalency paperwork processed and the FSDO won't return his calls to make an appointment...does anyone know of a DPE or someone that can take care of that? We had a guy at Laughlin that did it for a small fee, but I don't have his info anymore. Any ideas?  Thanks. 

I had mine done at the Fort Worth FSDO. If I remember correctly, the most annoying part was filling out the IACRA form beforehand. I just showed up with my mil comp exam results, form 8 equivalency MFR, flight hour printout and it only took a few minutes.

Each FSDO is different, and may ask for different things to meet the CFR requirements. It may be worth the money to pay someone to deal with them if you don't want to spend the time doing the research/make the calls/visit/etc

As an aside, if you're at Vance, Wichita FSDO is much easier to work with than Oklahoma City FSDO.

I literally just did this a few weeks ago and it was super easy. Don't pay anyone $250...get the Sheppard Air software (it'll take you less than two hours total time over the course of two days to get everything down to be ready for the test)...the software costs something like $30. Once you're done, schedule your test, pass it, fill out IACRA and get an appointment at the FSDO. Have all your paperwork handy (Sheppard can talk you through what you need over the phone or you can just ask the FSDO, it's pretty straight forward). Finally, I will add that you do NOT need to go through the local FSDO near your UPT base. Especially since some FSDOs are shittier than others and may not be very responsive or helpful. I happened to be in the Miami area for a few days and stopped by the FSDO down there and they had me in and out in an hour or two with ticket in hand. For IACRA make sure you are accurate and select the correct ratings and don't gyp yourself. For example as a helo guy we get the CPL IR for both fixed wing and rotary. I imagine for heavy guys you would get ME and whatever else corresponding to your training.