The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

5 hours ago, MyCS said:

Just going to result in the death of some social media platforms. People will flock to platforms with less oversight.

It's the same way with texting platforms. If your messaging app isn't secure/encrypted, you're going to lose business. 

That is exactly how creative capitalism works. 

2 hours ago, Swamp Yankee said:

I agree with a number of Biden’s EOs but this one was a big mistake.  Deportations are a critical part of managing immigration. 

Which ones of the 30(a world record I believe) and do you agree with?

5 minutes ago, slackline said:

You wanna go that route. Trump holds the record. 

Not even close. You not going to answer my question? The record I was referring to was the first few days.

Edited by arg

7 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

This won't kill any of the big social media platforms, by their own doing and dopamine fueled tactics they have become too far ingrained our daily lives.  I try to avoid thinking like the old fart that I am and look outside the container.  57% of Melienials get their news from Social Media platforms...these tech oligarchs have control on the information and put up huge barriers to entry for competitors.  The only thing that seems to break that model is when something become super trendy or "hot."  Tik Tok is a good example...also an example that is COMPLETELY compromised by the Chinese.

I don't want the government deciding what we can or can't see, what we can or can't post but something has to change.  I lean towards breaking the monopolies that are Facebook, Twitter, Apple and Amazon...yes I know it is a very slippery slope.  Regardless, fundamental changes have to be made to 230.

A couple good articles by a disproportionately smart guy that's in the sector:

https://davidsacks.medium.com/the-speech-cartel-b3f5555f7787

https://medium.com/craft-ventures/section-230-mend-it-dont-end-it-e33799a43a5f

Sacks argues that speech, particularly at scale, has been almost completely digitized. Thus, the first amendment takes precedence over all else.

Social media is effectively a utility at this point; imagine not being able to get power or water turned on at your house due to the way you voted. Running a business without social media is impossible in the year 2021.

Additionally, as CH pointed out, this cartel can't have their cake and eat it too with regard to 230. This very well could be the most important legal and Constitutional discussion of the 21st century.

21 minutes ago, arg said:

Not even close. You not going to answer my question? The record I was referring to was the first few days.

I wasn’t the original person you were calling out.  I was simply pointing out how absurd it was to complain about the “record amount” of EOs he’s signed one week into his term.  Let’s see if he holds pace, then it is significant, otherwise it’s simply one guy trying to undo all the crap he feels was done poorly by the guy who left things a mess.  Some I agree with, some are pandering to the left, and some are stupid, and will probably suck for the country.  

Since you’re so big on keeping track, how many last second things did Trump try to do on his way out, seemingly to simply create work for the next admin?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slackline said:

I wasn’t the original person you were calling out.  I was simply pointing out how absurd it was to complain about the “record amount” of EOs he’s signed one week into his term.  Let’s see if he holds pace, then it is significant, otherwise it’s simply one guy trying to undo all the crap he feels was done poorly by the guy who left things a mess.  Some I agree with, some are pandering to the left, and some are stupid, and will probably suck for the country.  

Since you’re so big on keeping track, how many last second things did Trump try to do on his way out, seemingly to simply create work for the next admin?

Oops, my bad it was Swamp Yankee. But why are you saying I called him out by asking a question? Which ones do you agree with? Am i calling you out asking that? You said Trump holds the record. For what? Total EOs? EOs signed in the first week of office? I am 100% with you on your last sentence in the first paragraph.

4 hours ago, MyCS said:

Millennials have the attention span of a grape nut. It was Twitter...then Instagram..now Tik Tok.

Tik Tok gives you a 1 minute video of information. It doesn't have to be true. Everyone is an expert on Tik Tok too. I'm like why are you guys liking the video of a dog trainer telling you why you shouldn't spayed or neuter your pet by a certain age. She isn't a veterinarian. But that's this generation.

Yeah totally different from the last generation who confused the generation before theirs with newfangled social media nonsense too.. definitely way different...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Capitalism assumes a free market.  Right now, especially with 230, we have anything but a free market.

Currently, the only 230 modifications that might address conservatives’ current concerns about private sector content control are those by Hawley (Ending Support for Internet Censorship Act) and Gozar (Stop Censorship Act) Both are highly troubling. Hawley’s in particular calls for companies content moderation teams to be declared politically neutral by a bipartisan commission.  This is Soviet-style propaganda control that is completely orthogonal to the Constitution. 

I’m also tired of the “social platform as utility argument”.   If you really want this, then be prepared for government subsidies since taking this approach restricts the ability of these platforms to manage their businesses.  

Don’t like how the current platforms are controlling content?  Get private investors to support your development of an alternative.  Plenty of conservatives with such means. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slackline said:

Some I agree with, some are pandering to the left, and some are stupid, and will probably suck for the country. 

Which ones do you agree with?

Paris Climate Accord?  I love the part that requires member nations to teach all their children not about global warming, but how to protest global warming.

Rejoin the WHO?  Maybe we should be in the organization from a symbolic point of view, bu tit is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world (more spent on executive travel than fighting AIDS and Malaria combined), and the way they protected China when this kicked off.

Killing the Keystone Pipeline?  Have you ever seen the pipeline map of the U.S.?  All this does is kill U.S. jobs, piss off our neighbor to the north and impact our energy independence.

Executive order to promote racial equity?  This should frighten folks, this is not about equality, it is "equity" meaning the DNC now wants to divide you by color, race, sex and that is how the plan to reallocate resources under the banner of poverty.  Good old Robin Hood story.  Seriously, I hope folks dig on this one and look at what they are trying to do.

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response?  Didn't last very long, a few days later "there is nothing we can do."

Proclamation pulling funds from border wall?  Jeez, why would a sovereign nation ever want to have a border?  I guess it is ok for other countries like MEXICO to have border walls but not that racist America that should let everyone in.

90 day freeze of Trump regulatory process?  Again they hate Trump so much they stepped in with the cancel culture without looking at the impact.  What they actually stopped was 340B, a Pprogram federal discounts on insulin to low-income patients. The rule was supposed to go into effect January 22, but has now been delayed until late March, nice job and FU to all Diabetics!

Executive order revising immigration enforcement policies.  Very narrow and all this does is take the pressure off cities that declare themselves "Sanctuary Cities."   I completely disagree with this one, we as a nation have an immigration policy (it certainly needs to be updated by Congress), when individual cities refuse to work with the federal government and harbor, hinder enforcement or down right help illegals escape (like releasing captured criminal illegals out the back door so ICE can't get them), then we have no rule of law.  Now it is too bad for Karen Ruiz - killed in by an illegal in front of her five year old child rather than be turned over to ICE , Kate Steinle - shot by a release illegal and died in front of her parents, Maria Fuertes 92 years old who was sexually assaulted and killed by a 21 year old man who was again released and purposely not handed over to ICE.  Last year Non-citizens accounted for 24 percent of all federal drug arrests, 25 percent of all federal property arrests, and 28 percent of all federal fraud arrests.  This is the America the DNC wants.

Executive order imposing a 90 ban on deportations?  My personal favorite and straight up pandering the the left extremists.  In 2020 the United States forcibly deported 180,000 people.  Of the 180,000 92% were criminals, running a little pilot math through my pea brain that is Biden saying how dare you racist Republicans try to deport 165,600 illegals who are also criminals, we must keep them here to roam our streets.

The only positive things I've seen was an Executive order banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation.  However, this was just a restatement of the Supreme Court decision in Bostock v. Clayton County, Ga last year.  And a Memorandum strengthening Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which is another symbolic action about DACA, something that needs to be resolved by Congress.

6 hours ago, arg said:

Oops, my bad it was Swamp Yankee. But why are you saying I called him out by asking a question? Which ones do you agree with? Am i calling you out asking that? You said Trump holds the record. For what? Total EOs? EOs signed in the first week of office? I am 100% with you on your last sentence in the first paragraph.

Here’s a few I support:

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response
- The pandemic is a rather significant problem.  Having additional effort applied rather than wishing the problem away is prudent. 

Executive order mandating ethics pledge for government appointees

- Simply reverts back to a pre-Trump requirement 

Executive order promoting Covid-19 safety in domestic and international travel
-Wearing masks as much as possible on airplanes seems reasonable to me  

Executive order expanding access to Covid-19 treatments
- COVID is a problem with older folks. That’s essentially what this is about. 

Yes, Biden’s pace of EO’s is faster than Trump, who put forth 55 in his first year.  

27 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Here’s a few I support:

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response
- The pandemic is a rather significant problem.  Having additional effort applied rather than wishing the problem away is prudent. 

Executive order mandating ethics pledge for government appointees

- Simply reverts back to a pre-Trump requirement 

Executive order promoting Covid-19 safety in domestic and international travel
-Wearing masks as much as possible on airplanes seems reasonable to me  

Executive order expanding access to Covid-19 treatments
- COVID is a problem with older folks. That’s essentially what this is about. 

Yes, Biden’s pace of EO’s is faster than Trump, who put forth 55 in his first year.  

I don't agree with his wishing away COVID-19 approach, but the reality of the government response was not that as Biden has learned.  Tweaking on the margins is fine, but we need some serious effort on the supply chain and the way the states are administering the vaccine. 

Are you serious on the Ethics EO?  You seem intelligent and I am not trying to insult you but have you actually read what the Trump EO did and what this "undoes?"

Trump's ethics pledge EO actually tightened restrictions.  His EO put a five year ban on things like lobbying to an agency the person worked for and a ban for those in the executive branch that basically said they could not lobby the executive branch for the remainder of the administration.  Also, he closed the "Shadow Lobbying" loophole that Obama put in place. 

Here is an excerpt from a 2017 assessment of Trump's Ethics EO - "Because the five-year post-employment ban applies to behind-the-scenes activities in support of lobbying, the employment prospects for administration officials will be significantly more limited than in the past. The Pledge appears to prevent hiring a former Trump political appointee to serve as a strategic advisor for government affairs, even if that person operates in a manner that does not require registering as a lobbyist. The five-year post-employment ban also appears to bar other types of behind-the-scenes work in support of lobbying, such as research, drafting leave-behind documents, and creating issue scorecards."

One thing that both Obama’s and Trump’s Ethics Pledges contain is a prohibition on gifts from lobbyists — the Executive Order bars appointees from accepting gifts from registered lobbyists and organizations that employ them. 

Realistically Biden just loosened the rules and in total I don't think that was very well thought out or a good thing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Paris Climate Accord?  I love the part that requires member nations to teach all their children not about global warming, but how to protest global warming.

Rejoin the WHO?  Maybe we should be in the organization from a symbolic point of view, bu tit is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world (more spent on executive travel than fighting AIDS and Malaria combined), and the way they protected China when this kicked off.

Killing the Keystone Pipeline?  Have you ever seen the pipeline map of the U.S.?  All this does is kill U.S. jobs, piss off our neighbor to the north and impact our energy independence.

Executive order to promote racial equity?  This should frighten folks, this is not about equality, it is "equity" meaning the DNC now wants to divide you by color, race, sex and that is how the plan to reallocate resources under the banner of poverty.  Good old Robin Hood story.  Seriously, I hope folks dig on this one and look at what they are trying to do.

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response?  Didn't last very long, a few days later "there is nothing we can do."

Proclamation pulling funds from border wall?  Jeez, why would a sovereign nation ever want to have a border?  I guess it is ok for other countries like MEXICO to have border walls but not that racist America that should let everyone in.

90 day freeze of Trump regulatory process?  Again they hate Trump so much they stepped in with the cancel culture without looking at the impact.  What they actually stopped was 340B, a Pprogram federal discounts on insulin to low-income patients. The rule was supposed to go into effect January 22, but has now been delayed until late March, nice job and FU to all Diabetics!

Executive order revising immigration enforcement policies.  Very narrow and all this does is take the pressure off cities that declare themselves "Sanctuary Cities."   I completely disagree with this one, we as a nation have an immigration policy (it certainly needs to be updated by Congress), when individual cities refuse to work with the federal government and harbor, hinder enforcement or down right help illegals escape (like releasing captured criminal illegals out the back door so ICE can't get them), then we have no rule of law.  Now it is too bad for Karen Ruiz - killed in by an illegal in front of her five year old child rather than be turned over to ICE , Kate Steinle - shot by a release illegal and died in front of her parents, Maria Fuertes 92 years old who was sexually assaulted and killed by a 21 year old man who was again released and purposely not handed over to ICE.  Last year Non-citizens accounted for 24 percent of all federal drug arrests, 25 percent of all federal property arrests, and 28 percent of all federal fraud arrests.  This is the America the DNC wants.

Executive order imposing a 90 ban on deportations?  My personal favorite and straight up pandering the the left extremists.  In 2020 the United States forcibly deported 180,000 people.  Of the 180,000 92% were criminals, running a little pilot math through my pea brain that is Biden saying how dare you racist Republicans try to deport 165,600 illegals who are also criminals, we must keep them here to roam our streets.

The only positive things I've seen was an Executive order banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation.  However, this was just a restatement of the Supreme Court decision in Bostock v. Clayton County, Ga last year.  And a Memorandum strengthening Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which is another symbolic action about DACA, something that needs to be resolved by Congress.

***Sorry, slow morning for me with no work, just realized what a long rant this is...

You could say I’m on roughly the same page as Swamp Yankee.  

Regarding the EO on ethics for Trump vs Biden, you mean the one Trump rescinded just before leaving office? https://www.npr.org/sections/inauguration-day-live-updates/2021/01/20/958710562/trump-revokes-administration-ethics-rules-on-his-way-out-the-door I seem to remember him using almost identical versions to Clinton and Obama used. https://www.npr.org/2017/01/28/512201631/trumps-executive-order-on-ethics-pulls-word-for-word-from-obama-clinton

I’ve already discussed my thoughts on climate accords.  Not a fan of how it binds the US unfairly and once again, makes the US carry the lion’s share of the responsibility, but I am a fan of us doing something to address it.  Ideally, I’d like to see us stay out of it on the principle of division of responsibility, but support it on the principle of “something has to be done” while working towards concrete steps.

Similarly on the WHO.  I think it was a good call to point out their numerous problems on many subjects.  I also think it is ultimately smart to rejoin.  Maybe they’ve gotten the scare they need to start acting in an even and fair way across the board.  I have my doubts, but time will tell.  I would have preferred a caveat be added to his rejoining making sure it was with the expectation that they hold the line...

I’m on the fence about the pipeline.  I agree with you mostly, but the tree hugger side of me is torn.  Not necessarily a rational way to think about it, but the climate issues we face and the climate change deniers out there piss me off more than I should allow... Sorry.

Most of your other points feel ( I know, using the word “feel” is dangerous in a political discussion) like the typical political answers regarding any topic out there.  “Yes, but...” saying you’re open minded and unbiased, but really, it’s similar to the points Swamp Yankee has been making about the so-called liberal personalities out there that do nothing but slam the left.  Begrudgingly acknowledging one tiny point or aspect so you can say, “see, I’m open-minded!” while digging in deeper on everything else.  

Your last paragraph is a perfect example of this.  “The only positive things... However...”

I’m often just as guilty as most, but I think my disdain for both sides gives me some clarity, at least right now.  I hate the left equally to the right, honestly.  Give it some time for the Trump effect to wear off (hopefully it does) and I’ll be attacking the hypocrisy coming out of their mouths too.  I’m not saying it’s not happening right now, just that the noise coming from the right in this moment is so loud, it’s hard to hear the noise coming from the left.  Politics is just one massive scenario of the pot calling the kettle black over and over again.  Us Monday morning quarterbacks and internet experts are often no different.  

You know, it’s odd, they say you typically get more conservative the older you get.  I have found that to be different in my case, still conservative, but definitely more open to social issues than I ever used to be.  I feel like service in the AF has done that, helping the people that I’ve commanded has been a bigger eye opener than anything else.  I remember listening to Sean Hannity back in 2003, and Bill O’Reilly, and even Rush Limbaugh.  I used to think they were smart, on top of things, people.  I have either changed a lot, or they have because I think they’re horrible people now, out for their own ratings much more than they believe in any of the garbage they spout.  I still don’t like any of the personalities on the left (Don Lemon in particular is such a drama king I can’t stand him even when he’s making a valid point), but they don’t inspire the disgust those three do.  

BL: I bet the difference between you and I, ideologically, is so small as to not matter in the big scheme of things.  I appreciate when I get called out for being off-target vs a valid shot. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slackline said:

***Sorry, slow morning for me with no work, just realized what a long rant this is...

You could say I’m on roughly the same page as Swamp Yankee.  

Regarding the EO on ethics for Trump vs Biden, you mean the one Trump rescinded just before leaving office? https://www.npr.org/sections/inauguration-day-live-updates/2021/01/20/958710562/trump-revokes-administration-ethics-rules-on-his-way-out-the-door I seem to remember him using almost identical versions to Clinton and Obama used. https://www.npr.org/2017/01/28/512201631/trumps-executive-order-on-ethics-pulls-word-for-word-from-obama-clinton

I’ve already discussed my thoughts on climate accords.  Not a fan of how it binds the US unfairly and once again, makes the US carry the lion’s share of the responsibility, but I am a fan of us doing something to address it.  Ideally, I’d like to see us stay out of it on the principle of division of responsibility, but support it on the principle of “something has to be done” while working towards concrete steps.

Similarly on the WHO.  I think it was a good call to point out their numerous problems on many subjects.  I also think it is ultimately smart to rejoin.  Maybe they’ve gotten the scare they need to start acting in an even and fair way across the board.  I have my doubts, but time will tell.  I would have preferred a caveat be added to his rejoining making sure it was with the expectation that they hold the line...

I’m on the fence about the pipeline.  I agree with you mostly, but the tree hugger side of me is torn.  Not necessarily a rational way to think about it, but the climate issues we face and the climate change deniers out there piss me off more than I should allow... Sorry.

Most of your other points feel ( I know, using the word “feel” is dangerous in a political discussion) like the typical political answers regarding any topic out there.  “Yes, but...” saying you’re open minded and unbiased, but really, it’s similar to the points Swamp Yankee has been making about the so-called liberal personalities out there that do nothing but slam the left.  Begrudgingly acknowledging one tiny point or aspect so you can say, “see, I’m open-minded!” while digging in deeper on everything else.  

Your last paragraph is a perfect example of this.  “The only positive things... However...”

I’m often just as guilty as most, but I think my disdain for both sides gives me some clarity, at least right now.  I hate the left equally to the right, honestly.  Give it some time for the Trump effect to wear off (hopefully it does) and I’ll be attacking the hypocrisy coming out of their mouths too.  I’m not saying it’s not happening right now, just that the noise coming from the right in this moment is so loud, it’s hard to hear the noise coming from the left.  Politics is just one massive scenario of the pot calling the kettle black over and over again.  Us Monday morning quarterbacks and internet experts are often no different.  

You know, it’s odd, they say you typically get more conservative the older you get.  I have found that to be different in my case, still conservative, but definitely more open to social issues than I ever used to be.  I feel like service in the AF has done that, helping the people that I’ve commanded has been a bigger eye opener than anything else.  I remember listening to Sean Hannity back in 2003, and Bill O’Reilly, and even Rush Limbaugh.  I used to think they were smart, on top of things, people.  I have either changed a lot, or they have because I think they’re horrible people now, out for their own ratings much more than they believe in any of the garbage they spout.  I still don’t like any of the personalities on the left (Don Lemon in particular is such a drama king I can’t stand him even when he’s making a valid point), but they don’t inspire the disgust those three do.  

BL: I bet the difference between you and I, ideologically, is so small as to not matter in the big scheme of things.  I appreciate when I get called out for being off-target vs a valid shot. 

A lot of interesting discussion here. Too much to respond to at lunch hour. 

Regarding ethics; my realpolitik opinion is that it is impossible to completely rein in the problems. In a similar sense to campaign finance reform, realistically you can try to contain certain aspects. 

On climate change; I understand to some extent the concern about indoctrination (really education) However, having a science background and more importantly access to people knowledgeable on the subject, I can’t ignore the issue.  The problem is the speed of change. So, yes, there are natural climate cycles but they’re generally measured in millennia, not decades or centuries.  (The little ice age being an exception)  Even the Navy is developing an Arctic open water strategy. Ultimately, the education piece will likely be viewed as similar to evolution vs creationism.  We and China own a significant portion of the issue. While it’s great that sub Saharan countries are ratifying, they aren’t substantial contributors. 

Good point on the media.  I have a very similar perspective. Also, it’s definitely gotten worse the past four years. Fox was always strongly on the right, but they really doubled down with Trump except for a brief period very recently. CNN was slightly left but shifted significantly into an anti-Trump channel. Fox and CNN are equally partisan opposites at this point. Both were business rather than ideologically driven. Grab the audiences that will watch the longest. 
I’ve also shifted left on some social issues as I’ve lead and managed people from a wider range of backgrounds.  
There’s a great quote from Dean Kamen, the guy who developed the Segway and other more important, but less well-known technical innovations: “Democrats want to control what you do with your wallet and Republicans want to control what you do in the bedroom”  That sums it up well. 

19 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

A lot of interesting discussion here. Too much to respond to at lunch hour. 

Regarding ethics; my realpolitik opinion is that it is impossible to completely rein in the problems. In a similar sense to campaign finance reform, realistically you can try to contain certain aspects. 

On climate change; I understand to some extent the concern about indoctrination (really education) However, having a science background and more importantly access to people knowledgeable on the subject, I can’t ignore the issue.  The problem is the speed of change. So, yes, there are natural climate cycles but they’re generally measured in millennia, not decades or centuries.  (The little ice age being an exception)  Even the Navy is developing an Arctic open water strategy. Ultimately, the education piece will likely be viewed as similar to evolution vs creationism.  We and China own a significant portion of the issue. While it’s great that sub Saharan countries are ratifying, they aren’t substantial contributors. 

Good point on the media.  I have a very similar perspective. Also, it’s definitely gotten worse the past four years. Fox was always strongly on the right, but they really doubled down with Trump except for a brief period very recently. CNN was slightly left but shifted significantly into an anti-Trump channel. Fox and CNN are equally partisan opposites at this point. Both were business rather than ideologically driven. Grab the audiences that will watch the longest. 
I’ve also shifted left on some social issues as I’ve lead and managed people from a wider range of backgrounds.  
There’s a great quote from Dean Kamen, the guy who developed the Segway and other more important, but less well-known technical innovations: “Democrats want to control what you do with your wallet and Republicans want to control what you do in the bedroom”  That sums it up well. 

I have no issue with teaching science and yes I believe climate change is a legitimate concern.  The problem is the accord doesn't mandate education the science, instead it mandates education on how to protest.  I truly hope this doesn't turn into the evolution versus creationism argument. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

How do you have the time and energy to know all this stupid stuff?

19 minutes ago, Homestar said:

How do you have the time and energy to know all this stupid stuff?

I read prolifically, have since I was a kid which has really helped me in the stock market, currently buying a new airplane as a result. 

Also, I care about my country and the issues.  I think when the mainstream media shifted from print to TV and Digital the depth of stories and understanding began to shrink until today when they rush through every 30 second story and knowledgeable people who are interviewed never get more than a minute to talk.  In reality news today is about the sensational topic and a brief "Tik Tok/Snapchat cursory summary" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BFM this said:

Out of curiosity, what’s on your daily reading list?

573A911B-888E-405C-831E-A38593E1CABA.gif

I start with investments, I've built wealth and want to protect it.  I had three numbers when I first started.  The first number was the lowest number I needed to retire, we could be careful, manage our spending and cover our expenses no issues.  We hit that many years ago.  The second number was living at our current quality of life now but not having to work.  I have raised that number over the years as we have raised our standard of living, we keep acquiring toys and some of them (airplane/RV), are expensive.  I have a very nice retirement as a 26 year O-6, my wife works and makes a great salary, I work and am over compensated for my capability, we also have a side business that brings in about $10,000 a month in passive income.  I won't into specific numbers but I am forced to make quarterly tax payments of $15,000 in addition to our withholding and still have to make a huge tax payment every April...I know tough problem to have.  We hit the second number  several years ago.  My third number was to be stupid rich and I never really thought it possible, but it is.  Sorry for the long section on investments but I grew up poor and it really shaped me.  The rest of the reading is loosely related because all of these policies and actions by the different political parties really impact where I put my money.

I use Morgan Stanley as my wealth manager and they have a host of products I sort through each morning.

CNBC has a great pre-market snapshot which also links to great articles about trends and emerging opportunities. 

The Motley Fool has a nice daily summary, but also has a lot of fluff and hidden advertisements. 

I also use Market Watch which is a great tool to get down in the weeds of investing should you so choose.

I used to have a bridge between investments and the news and would read daily articles in the Economist, but they completely jumped the shark in the last two years and went full retard political which is truly sad because they have some great analysts. 

Around 0600 the Early Bird hits my email, it used to be so much better but still provides a summary of the previous day and the overnight actions in the defense industry.  You can sign up, it is free.

Next I look at BBC, like most they are biased but they also provide a world view.  I think taking a few minutes to see how the rest of the world views us is very important. 

Keeping the previous theme in mind next I go to Al Jazeera which has excellent coverage on some things.

Most days I cycle in the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal.

I work most of the day and that requires other reading, some of it technical, most of it more strategic.  As part of my job I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at the Federal budget.  While not a lobbyist, for several years I have been going to the hill as an expert on a few key areas and technologies. 

During the week I cycle through Foxnews/CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC for an update, while we make dinner. 

My son is very active in sports so while he is practicing most nights I tend to read to pass the time.  I have about 10 books going right now, a great one written by a good friend called When The Tempest Gathers  I am purposely reading the book slowly and a bit at a time.  Last week I finished Oliver North's new book The Rifleman, Admiral McRaven's book Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations and Rum Curious which is a great book about the origins of Rum and a tasting guide which I found very useful...I also learned some things about the rum market and actually changed an investment because of it. 

This week I started a re-read of the classic The Odyssey by Homer.  The classics are important and were used to frame the thinking of the founders of our country.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I read prolifically, have since I was a kid which has really helped me in the stock market, currently buying a new airplane as a result. 

Also, I care about my country and the issues.  I think when the mainstream media shifted from print to TV and Digital the depth of stories and understanding began to shrink until today when they rush through every 30 second story and knowledgeable people who are interviewed never get more than a minute to talk.  In reality news today is about the sensational topic and a brief "Tik Tok/Snapchat cursory summary" 

That’s awesome. Sorry, didn’t mean to sound flippant. I do respect those of you that are well versed in this stuff. As I watched my parents get older I saw them shake fists and yell at clouds about politics. Made me want to just go fishing and sit by the fire when I get old. 

Carry on, I enjoy reading what you write. 

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I start with investments, I've built wealth and want to protect it.  I had three numbers when I first started.  The first number was the lowest number I needed to retire, we could be careful, manage our spending and cover our expenses no issues.  We hit that many years ago.  The second number was living at our current quality of life now but not having to work.  I have raised that number over the years as we have raised our standard of living, we keep acquiring toys and some of them (airplane/RV), are expensive.  I have a very nice retirement as a 26 year O-6, my wife works and makes a great salary, I work and am over compensated for my capability, we also have a side business that brings in about $10,000 a month in passive income.  I won't into specific numbers but I am forced to make quarterly tax payments of $15,000 in addition to our withholding and still have to make a huge tax payment every April...I know tough problem to have.  We hit the second number  several years ago.  My third number was to be stupid rich and I never really thought it possible, but it is.  Sorry for the long section on investments but I grew up poor and it really shaped me.  The rest of the reading is loosely related because all of these policies and actions by the different political parties really impact where I put my money.

I use Morgan Stanley as my wealth manager and they have a host of products I sort through each morning.

CNBC has a great pre-market snapshot which also links to great articles about trends and emerging opportunities. 

The Motley Fool has a nice daily summary, but also has a lot of fluff and hidden advertisements. 

I also use Market Watch which is a great tool to get down in the weeds of investing should you so choose.

I used to have a bridge between investments and the news and would read daily articles in the Economist, but they completely jumped the shark in the last two years and went full retard political which is truly sad because they have some great analysts. 

Around 0600 the Early Bird hits my email, it used to be so much better but still provides a summary of the previous day and the overnight actions in the defense industry.  You can sign up, it is free.

Next I look at BBC, like most they are biased but they also provide a world view.  I think taking a few minutes to see how the rest of the world views us is very important. 

Keeping the previous theme in mind next I go to Al Jazeera which has excellent coverage on some things.

Most days I cycle in the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal.

I work most of the day and that requires other reading, some of it technical, most of it more strategic.  As part of my job I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at the Federal budget.  While not a lobbyist, for several years I have been going to the hill as an expert on a few key areas and technologies. 

During the week I cycle through Foxnews/CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC for an update, while we make dinner. 

My son is very active in sports so while he is practicing most nights I tend to read to pass the time.  I have about 10 books going right now, a great one written by a good friend called When The Tempest Gathers  I am purposely reading the book slowly and a bit at a time.  Last week I finished Oliver North's new book The Rifleman, Admiral McRaven's book Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations and Rum Curious which is a great book about the origins of Rum and a tasting guide which I found very useful...I also learned some things about the rum market and actually changed an investment because of it. 

This week I started a re-read of the classic The Odyssey by Homer.  The classics are important and were used to frame the thinking of the founders of our country.

Nothing to add but just want to let you know that I am up for adoption. Lost my parents in a tragic boat accident.

• Like 1