The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

All 50 states should require a government issued, picture ID to vote (DL, general state ID, Concealed Weapons Permit, etc.) If we started this today, everyone who doesn’t currently possess an ID has 3.5 years to get one prior to voting in 2024.

Your timeline is wrong. Best case is about 1.5 years for the next representative race. And that ignores any local ballots before then.

There's more to it than just federal presidential elections, though that gets the most attention.

A lot of the arguments for voter ID centers around citizenship, which drives the need for an ID that validates citizenship, i.e a RealID license/identity card.

Plus, it took what, like 10 years or so to transition to RealID for air travel, which is arguably a luxury.

And like you mentioned, it doesn't solve mail in vote identity verification.

All great questions/ideas - let’s act on this instead of accepting the status quo. 
Absolutely agree. Something needs to be done, but it requires investment (and maintaining follow-on support) in our voting infrastructure, and we as a nation don't like to maintain infrastructure.

This should be a bipartisan effort
  • Upvote 1

Just now, jazzdude said:

Your timeline is wrong. Best case is about 1.5 years for the next representative race. And that ignores any local ballots before then.

There's more to it than just federal presidential elections, though that gets the most attention.

A lot of the arguments for voter ID centers around citizenship, which drives the need for an ID that validates citizenship, i.e a RealID license/identity card.

Plus, it took what, like 10 years or so to transition to RealID for air travel, which is arguably a luxury.

And like you mentioned, it doesn't solve mail in vote identity verification.

I was using the presidential as a leading example, I’m well aware of the voting cycle for lower level elections. The big problem is all of these “what about...” questions are not valid arguments against ID, but I do agree they are considerations to be taken into account when developing voter requirements. 

My best initial hack on absentee is signature verification, and I think for now that is sufficient (yeah signatures can be forged, but it’s a very unlikely situation). 

I was using the presidential as a leading example, I’m well aware of the voting cycle for lower level elections. The big problem is all of these “what about...” questions are not valid arguments against ID, but I do agree they are considerations to be taken into account when developing voter requirements. 

My best initial hack on absentee is signature verification, and I think for now that is sufficient (yeah signatures can be forged, but it’s a very unlikely situation). 

Yeah, signature verification is probably well that can be done for absentee. My state allows you to download a ballot to mail in, and has a code on the ballot that I assumes serializes/identifies that ballot as unique, and helps block anyone from attempting to vote multiple times.

Moving towards electronic voting will eventually need to happen, and then you can add things like chip and PIN (or at least PIN) identify verification.

52 minutes ago, brabus said:

ID verification upon delivery of the parcel, similar to certified mail. The govt can afford it. That's just one option, there are so many ways to skin the cat.

The democratic pols think many of their voters are too stupid/poor/lazy to get an ID in time to vote. They are right, of course, but I suspect they are overestimating the number of that group by 10x or more, and underestimating the number of (R) voters who would not make the cut as well.

I shouldn’t be able to vote simply by walking up to the table and telling you my name and address, with no photo ID (as you currently can do in 30 states + DC).

I have to question the validity of all of your statements because my experience doesn’t match what you say. I registered to vote in DC, and I was required to provide evidence of where I live with a statement from a utility/valid photo ID, whatever. https://dcboe.org/Voters/Register-To-Vote/Register-to-Vote There is even a website explaining this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ID verification upon delivery of the parcel, similar to certified mail. The govt can afford it. That's just one option, there are so many ways to skin the cat.

ID verification at delivery only verifies delivery (in theory), not that that individual was the one that actually voted.

How do you verify military mail? I know I've accidently opened mail that wasn't mine-same name/location, different person.

I've also had certified/insured packages delivered to wrong addresses. Fortunately, I had my contact info in the packages and the person (stranger) that received/signed for them was kind enough to contact me and let me know they received my package meant for me. And yes, all the delivery information was correct in the package, just had a bad postal worker (not an isolated incident in my neighborhood with misdelivered or damaged packages).

Who becomes a trusted agent to verify identity? USPS? What about FEDEX/UPS?

And I take issue with "the gov can afford it." Budgets are tight, and this would be a new requirement, so who pays for it? What level of government funds this? And yes, cutting other programs is a means to pay, but requires debate on what gets cut. But likely will be a tax increase to fund the capability.

1 hour ago, slackline said:

I have to question the validity of all of your statements because my experience doesn’t match what you say

Man, you guys are ridiculous. “Because I’ve never personally seen X” is an incredibly stupid way to make a case. This thread (and elsewhere) is full of this bullshit notion; how about you guys acknowledge a shitload of things exist, occur, etc. in ways you haven’t personally experienced because such a thing would be impossible, as you haven’t lived in every square inch of the world, the U.S., etc.

Directly to your specific point on this subject, here’s a decent overview:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-id.aspx

My personal experience - I’ve voted in three states that don’t require a photo ID. In one of those states there is literally nothing done beyond verifying the name I stated is on the registered voter list (checked at the time by the volunteer sitting at the check in table). Yeah, it happened...in the last 3 elections I’ve voted in (local/state and federal).

Parting shot to emphasize the point - do you disbelieve one of your airman’s claims of rape because you’ve never experienced it or seen it happen first hand? Yeah, that’s exactly how stupid your above comment comes off. And even worse, you’re not the only one in this camp.

• Like 3

No evidence of conspiracy to commit fraud on any scale.

No evidence of fraud outside historical norms, which happens for both parties, AKA little that doesn't impact elections.  Oh, and it gets investigated and prosecuted.

Trumpists - "Nope, gotta burn it all down and make every state the same." 

Yet you guys still claiming individually you support the "Party of states rights, and the Constitution?" Did you think the TX lawsuit was a good idea too?

And...you're willing to trust a signature on a absentee/mail-in-ballot?  Holy dumb-shit rationalization Batman.  Like I said before, get involved locally if you want to change things.  Stay the fuck away from my State with your wasted ideas.  We have mail in voting...it worked fine.

Sounds like the same bullshit I heard about restricting Airmen because they COULD do something that makes the AF look bad.  You know, the shit we all bitch about?

The sand in your vag should be a pearl by now for you to wear to your next Q-anon dance party.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, M2 said:

Funny how all those alleging election tampering in 2016 suddenly claim it couldn't have happened in 2020!

You're conflating interference with fraud, most people accepted 2016 all votes as valid even if they claimed there was foreign interference that changed the outcome, or even if they went the cringey route of saying they would leave the country or #notmypresident. And most everyone who claimed interference happened in 2016 would certainly agree it could have happened this year. Key word being interference, not invalid fraudulent votes from a domestic conspiracy at a scale never seen before. 

• Upvote 1

17D. You are really good at taking something and running in a lot of different directions and since your first point is right it must all be right. You argue like.....well someone who grasps at emotional straws when you really don’t like something or have a very very strong opinion.

8 minutes ago, Guardian said:

17D. You are really good at taking something and running in a lot of different directions and since your first point is right it must all be right. You argue like.....well someone who grasps at emotional straws when you really don’t like something or have a very very strong opinion.

Oh, are you back on here?  Seems like you bounced when every avenue for appealing on "fraud, hacking...uh...something" to get the election turned out to fail.  I see you trotted out the, "everyone's emotional and lacks logic in argument" line again too.  Well played.

Back on here? Yeah. I have a life and more important things to do than constantly educate SNAPs (do you understand my implication?). And remember I never claimed anything. Just posted other articles etc and asked for opinions and shot holes in others arguments.

Yep. Facts still don’t have emotions but you and I do. And emotions don’t help when trying to present ideas. Still doesn’t deal with your logical straw man and jumping around to other topics to claim they are true or in an effort to make a certain group of people look silly. Just makes you look silly and immature.

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Okay that's a sampling (n 916) of the 150M or so voters.  I understand how stats work a little and I don't know if you can just post a poll from NPR to put this to rest.

My personal opinion is that the alleged rampant fraud wasn't in every state but the ones that it was in was enough to overturn the will of the people in those states.  A lot of Americans feel the same way.  The coordinated radio silence and censorship on the MSM and social media platforms along with big tech (Google, big tech) should be cause for alarm for ALL Americans.  Regardless of ideology or background or politics.

Of course I think everyone is on the same page with the issue here not being about the candidates, but about a free and fair and open election.  Lots of people are arguing that that happened, and I truly think it did in a lot of states.  IF however there was enough fraud to overturn the will of the American citizen in some states then I can't understand why everyone wouldn't be on board with getting to the bottom of this.  IF that was the case and it was indeed enough to overturn the results of the election then I think that probably marks a point of no return for our republic.

Not a huge fan of politics and the only reason this is on my radar at all is because I have in-laws that migrated here from the USSR back in the 1980's who lived it.  Their perspective is a unique one that probably few people on this message board have - and only recently have I begun to pay more attention to what they are saying is going on in America.  I'm sure some of you guys have been to the museums in the old Soviet Bloc countries and to think that that would be impossible to happen here is pretty naive.  It doesn't happen overnight, but there certainly gets to be a point where it's too late to go back.  I really hope I am wrong about all of this.  I enjoying BSing about flying with all you nerds much more than talking politics.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, billy pilgrim said:

Okay that's a sampling (n 916) of the 150M or so voters.  I understand how stats work a little and I don't know if you can just post a poll from NPR to put this to rest.

Sim is on the extreme end of your side on this issue, I think you may have misinterpreted what he was trying to say. He posted that to say a majority of Republicans believing there was fraud is a rebuttal to the earlier claim that a majority of voters don't believe election was fraudulent. 

n=916 mathematically provides a margin of error of roughly 3% for a 95% confidence interval, so it's not something to put aside. Based on this poll it is a near certainty that a majority of Republicans believe the election was not accurate and that a majority of voters feel it was accurate. But I'm open to whatever stats you know since everything I've ever seen wrt sample sizes show roughly 1000 as standard statistical practice.  

10 minutes ago, billy pilgrim said:

My personal opinion is that the alleged rampant fraud wasn't in every state but the ones that it was in was enough to overturn the will of the people in those states.  A lot of Americans feel the same way.

Based on? A lot of Americans also feel the Earth is flat. 

15 hours ago, arg said:

If they are "already working two jobs" don't you think they already have an ID? I've had a few people here, in probably the poorest state in the US, that I hired do some work on my small farm that you would consider poverty level folks. They all drove here, so unless they were driving without a licence they had ID. Many states offer no cost IDs, of course NM is not one of them.

Maybe, maybe not, but just because you have an extremely narrow worldview because "I hired poor people" doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist and enacting laws like this won't make the problem worse.

10 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

The soft bigotry of low expectations.   

Or perhaps its the hard bigotry of trying to enact laws to increasingly marginalize the poorest of our community?

Again you are all trying to solve a problem you can't even prove exists.  There should be few barriers to voting, particularly for those less fortunate.  Rich peoples' interests are already overrepresented by congress, and the poorest amongst us on either side of the aisle need their voices heard the most.

If you want to solve a problem, lets look into the rules of how states purge voter rolls making people ineligible to vote, or the intentional slowing the delivery of mail in ballots, or the disproportionately few polling stations in poor neighborhoods, or the last minute closing of polling locations, or the fake ballot drop boxes installed, or the robocalls telling voters not to vote, or people electioneering near polling places?  There is ample evidence of all these things happening every election yet you don't care about that...why is that?

Man, you guys are ridiculous. “Because I’ve never personally seen X” is an incredibly stupid way to make a case. This thread (and elsewhere) is full of this bullshit notion; how about you guys acknowledge a shitload of things exist, occur, etc. in ways you haven’t personally experienced because such a thing would be impossible, as you haven’t lived in every square inch of the world, the U.S., etc.
Directly to your specific point on this subject, here’s a decent overview:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-id.aspx
My personal experience - I’ve voted in three states that don’t require a photo ID. In one of those states there is literally nothing done beyond verifying the name I stated is on the registered voter list (checked at the time by the volunteer sitting at the check in table). Yeah, it happened...in the last 3 elections I’ve voted in (local/state and federal).
Parting shot to emphasize the point - do you disbelieve one of your airman’s claims of rape because you’ve never experienced it or seen it happen first hand? Yeah, that’s exactly how stupid your above comment comes off. And even worse, you’re not the only one in this camp.

My point stands in spite of the wild rabbit hole you went down. At no point did I say everything is wrong because I haven’t seen it. I simply said I have to question the validity of what you said because it wasn’t representative of my experience. You are the one who passed your earlier comment off as if it were a fact. If you didn’t check that fact, why should I believe you check any of your facts?

And your rape claim comparison is beyond ridiculous.

Whole argument is stupid anymore. You guys keep claiming crap with little credible evidence. It’s been rejected by every court out there, regardless of their political leaning. The election didn’t go your way, so like a lot of idiot democrats 4 years ago, you’re all crying that you must have been cheated. Accept it already, and stop crying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2