The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

He downplayed it and doubled down on his base.  It's literally what he always does.  The far right thought it was a hoax, the far left was terrified and wanted to shut everything down, and most folks in the middle wanted a tempered response with a dash of human in it.  Instead he stoked conspiracies for months, created drama with his highly popular NIAID director, and tried to change the subject away from a global pandemic killing more citizens each day.  It didn't work, and across the country everyone to the left of "tin foil hat" on the political spectrum got to watch the spectacle of trumpies losing their shit in public because they had to put on a mask while everyone else is just trying to survive and pay bills.  It was embarassing to see the most powerful man in the world encouraging these people.  The bar was super low...own up for not taking it seriously initially, act legitimately concerned, plead with folks to chip in and wear a mask, set a good example.  It's fucking leadership 101.  Trump was determined to win on "hard-mode" and he repeatedly watched softball pitches fly by.  Thank god.

Edited by drewpey
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Prozac said:

Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that Trump’s policy response was identical to a hypothetical alternate president. You don’t think that rhetoric alone can have a net positive or negative effect on a crisis? I’m sorry but the guy who publicly advocates injecting bleach into the population writ large does not promote confidence from said population. This “only policy matters” take is a cop out by those trying to justify placing an utter moron into the highest office in the land to themselves. Yes, policy matters, but so does character. “The ends justify the means” has never been a morally effective argument in this country. The character of our leaders is a pillar of what has allowed the United States to (rightly) claim the moral high ground for most of its existence and may be the most devastating casualty of the last four years. 

Biden doesn't have any true character gain.  The dude is a facade.  He has no actual plan in mind, just words along the lines of "trust me, I have a plan."  Also, I find that after 47 years he's really not done anything as a public official.  Quit justifying Biden because he's "not Trump."  Not being Trump doesn't make him good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that Trump’s policy response was identical to a hypothetical alternate president. You don’t think that rhetoric alone can have a net positive or negative effect on a crisis? I’m sorry but the guy who publicly advocates injecting bleach into the population writ large does not promote confidence from said population. This “only policy matters” take is a cop out by those trying to justify placing an utter moron into the highest office in the land to themselves. Yes, policy matters, but so does character. “The ends justify the means” has never been a morally effective argument in this country. The character of our leaders is a pillar of what has allowed the United States to (rightly) claim the moral high ground for most of its existence and may be the most devastating casualty of the last four years. 

He said inject bleech? I’m not aware of that. I saw some things where he talked about disinfectant and figuring out if it was possible to do inside the body but I don’t think he said inject cleaning products.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/context-what-donald-trump-said-about-disinfectant-/

24 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Biden doesn't have any true character gain.  The dude is a facade.  He has no actual plan in mind, just words along the lines of "trust me, I have a plan."  Also, I find that after 47 years he's really not done anything as a public official.  Quit justifying Biden because he's "not Trump."  Not being Trump doesn't make him good.

I simply answered your previous question. I didn’t even mention Biden in my response. I purposely referred to a “hypothetical alternate president”. That could’ve been a President Rubio, a President Cruz, a President Bush, Obama, or yes a President Biden. I believe that any of those choices would have chosen a unifying and coherent message vs Trump’s bombast and gibberish. This is a case where “being presidential” absolutely matters and would have led to a far more cohesive national response. Do you dispute that Trump’s rhetoric was damaging?

46 minutes ago, Prozac said:

I simply answered your previous question. I didn’t even mention Biden in my response. I purposely referred to a “hypothetical alternate president”. That could’ve been a President Rubio, a President Cruz, a President Bush, Obama, or yes a President Biden. I believe that any of those choices would have chosen a unifying and coherent message vs Trump’s bombast and gibberish. This is a case where “being presidential” absolutely matters and would have led to a far more cohesive national response. Do you dispute that Trump’s rhetoric was damaging?

You didn’t have to mention Biden, it’s the only other (realistic) current option. 

This place is turning into r/Politics. It is starting to get really annoying and childish to see so many disparage our Commander and Chief. 

You all should exit the military. Y'all would be a perfect fit for Vox writing their opinion columns. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

He said inject bleech? I’m not aware of that. I saw some things where he talked about disinfectant and figuring out if it was possible to do inside the body but I don’t think he said inject cleaning products.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/context-what-donald-trump-said-about-disinfectant-/

You must be hella fun in a debrief.

11 minutes ago, Seadogs said:

This place is turning into r/Politics. It is starting to get really annoying and childish to see so many disparage our Commander and Chief. 

You all should exit the military. Y'all would be a perfect fit for Vox writing their opinion columns. 

Uh oh, people don't agree with you on something so we're going the wrong way, and you don't like it?! 

Cry somewhere else like a bitch.  We're having big boy discussions in here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Negatory said:

This letter from GWB is the type of presidential character that I cant imagine Trump having. And I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing more of it.

https://www.bushcenter.org/about-the-center/newsroom/press-releases/2020/11/president-george-w-bush-statement-joe-biden.html

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/26/four-years-later-bitter-hillary-clinton-claims-2016-election-was-stolen-from-her/

“I don’t think he has any boundaries at all, Kara. I don’t think he has any conscience,” she said. “He’s obviously not a moral, truthful man. So he will do whatever he can to lift himself up. And remember, as I said, he lives with this specter of illegitimacy.”

Yeah. Class act. 

5 hours ago, Guardian said:

People keep saying this. But I haven’t heard one suggestion that is different than what he did.

Really. I haven’t heard another suggestion as to how it could have been better or different with statements as to how they know it would have been better.

Please, tell me,what could have been done better when the entire Democratic Party was wrapped up in Russia, calling trump a xenophobic and still to this day have no better suggestions.

You guys ever have a bad sortie where a lot of folks died, and in debrief you looked back on the plan and said "welp...not much else we could have done.  we pretty much nailed it."?  Yeah me neither.  It's amazing to see some of the best tactical minds I've met suddenly go blind when it comes to identifying DFPs, root causes, contributing factors and coming up with instructional fixes when it comes to politics.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Seadogs said:

Maybe your Commander-In-Chief, but some of us have that coveted DD-214 and left the dumpster fire known as the USAF years ago.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Waingro said:

It's looking like he'll come away with 306 electoral votes, more than Trump won with in 2016. Which Kellyanne Conway at the time called a landslide and a blowout. 

You're right about the shifting demographics. Democrats should be concerned, especially in places like Florida. I think there are some weak areas for the GOP too, that they should look to shore up. Arizona was a surprise, and Texas was closer than it had any reason to be. 

She was wrong, as usual. Both Trump and Biden barely won their elections.

Agreed. 

9 hours ago, Homestar said:

All Trump had to do was have a semi-competent response to COVID-19. He couldn’t even manage semi-competent. 

Who did?

To claim that anyone's response can be graded thus far is premature. Europe is falling apart again. His response can't be bad if none of them were good. 

As with most things, if he could just keep his mouth shut and act like a president, his response wouldn't be discernable from any other

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

As with most things, if he could just keep his mouth shut and act like a president, his response wouldn't be discernable from any other

That’s my point. He couldn’t manage the barest minimum of leadership on the issue. Because he isn’t a leader. He’s a fraud and a con. Always has been. Always will be. Good riddance to bad rubbish. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Homestar said:

That’s my point. He couldn’t manage the barest minimum of leadership on the issue. Because he isn’t a leader. He’s a fraud and a con. Always has been. Always will be. Good riddance to bad rubbish. 

Yeah, you just have to realize that he was also hitting a grand slam on conservative policy. History will tell which was more important.

Agreed otherwise

The same people who were miserable behind their keyboards for 4 years with TDS - Trump derangement Syndrome will soon be the same miserable victims with BDS - Biden Disappointment Syndrome.

If the GOP keeps the senate, the dem infighting will be fun to watch. Very few campaign promises met, sets up the right for gains in 2024.

The beta males and 2/10 feminists who were calling us all (on the right) racists and sexists will be miserable....still.

And now we don’t have to hear about BLM or other statistically retarded causes for a while.

The blue wave never happened. Not a bad election.

Cheer up, it could be Hillary’s second term.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

Yeah, you just have to realize that he was also hitting a grand slam on conservative policy. History will tell which was more important.

Agreed otherwise

Indeed, you are right. 3 SCOTUS noms will ensure his “conservative” legacy for a generation. 

18 minutes ago, di1630 said:

The same people who were miserable behind their keyboards for 4 years with TDS - Trump derangement Syndrome will soon be the same miserable victims with BDS - Biden Disappointment Syndrome.

If the GOP keeps the senate, the dem infighting will be fun to watch. Very few campaign promises met, sets up the right for gains in 2024.

The beta males and 2/10 feminists who were calling us all (on the right) racists and sexists will be miserable....still.

And now we don’t have to hear about BLM or other statistically retarded causes for a while.

The blue wave never happened. Not a bad election.

Cheer up, it could be Hillary’s second term.

My sentiments exactly.

d83fab6f39aa6a8d6572ba3c9d2b97bd.jpg

2 hours ago, Negatory said:

This letter from GWB is the type of presidential character that I cant imagine Trump having. And I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing more of it.

https://www.bushcenter.org/about-the-center/newsroom/press-releases/2020/11/president-george-w-bush-statement-joe-biden.html

You won’t from Biden nor Kamala, sorry to break it to you.  But yes, even as a hard Trump fan I do miss the civility in politics and sometimes cringe when Trump goes off on Twitter or whatever else. 

• Upvote 1