The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

386D79AE-52AD-4898-A2B9-93B561B962C5.thumb.jpeg.e88c4da3904cb2a809184e39dd095669.jpeg

This is absolutely true, but I am genuinely curious what the Trump camp thinks. I don’t think Biden was particularly amazing by any means, but he sure as heck showed more restraint than Trump. He didn’t tell the Proud Boys to “stand by” (I’m actually giving Trump the benefit of the doubt that he misspoke, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s actually what he meant), and in general, Biden absolutely did not look like an individual with dementia. Maybe it was his performance enhancing drugs... haha.

So, lousy all around, but one of these individuals is the actual, POTUS...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

They both did terrible, there was no winner, only losers. I’m embarrassed for my country after that shit show. As far as voters, I don’t think last night moved any voters one way or the other...they both sucked so bad that no rational person would have watched that and thought, “yeah, I’m going to switch to B” or “well I was undecided, but now I’m voting for A.” If anybody thinks one side won, then you simply are experiencing your own confirmation bias towards who you were already going to vote for anyways. No minds changed.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, slackline said:

This is absolutely true, but I am genuinely curious what the Trump camp thinks. I don’t think Biden was particularly amazing by any means, but he sure as heck showed more restraint than Trump. He didn’t tell the Proud Boys to “stand by” (I’m actually giving Trump the benefit of the doubt that he misspoke, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s actually what he meant), and in general, Biden absolutely did not look like an individual with dementia. Maybe it was his performance enhancing drugs... haha.

Did we watch the same debate? Biden looked like he was about to have a stroke the whole night.  My only wish is that Trump interrupted less which would’ve highlighted Joe Biden for how troubled he is.  Biden also said some nasty things during the debate but no one is interested in that, just Orange man and the Charlottesville lie being perpetuated by Biden. 

I can understand people’s aversion to Trump, I prefer his policies and don’t really pay attention to his personality which at the end of the day is more or less harmless tough talk.  But if anyone can honestly watch Biden and believe he is capable of leading on the world stage after pissing and moaning about Trump’s personality for 4 years,  then that is the height of hypocrisy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So the rule sets for power and presidency are changing and I honestly think the debates, which used to be hugely important, have diminished in meaning anymore. 

This isn't the first election that this is true though. I remember it as far back as Obama v Mitt, the headlines coming out of the debate were about who had the most sick one-liners and ultimate burns. Like, are we discussing intellectual politics here or is this an 8-mile rap battle because I can't tell at  this point. Last night, I think was a great display that nothing articulate or of any importance comes from the debate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Did we watch the same debate? Biden looked like he was about to have a stroke the whole night.  My only wish is that Trump interrupted less which would’ve highlighted Joe Biden for how troubled he is.  Biden also said some nasty things during the debate but no one is interested in that, just Orange man and the Charlottesville lie being perpetuated by Biden. 

I can understand people’s aversion to Trump, I prefer his policies and don’t really pay attention to his personality which at the end of the day is more or less harmless tough talk.  But if anyone can honestly watch Biden and believe he is capable of leading on the world stage after pissing and moaning about Trump’s personality for 4 years,  then that is the height of hypocrisy. 

While I agree with what has been said here, that there was no clear winner, I’m not sure how you get to your conclusion about Biden. I saw a man, incredibly frustrated at the childish interruptions of a man who really pointed at zero concrete policies all throughout the debate.

If I were talking with a person who wouldn’t shut up, ever, I would have been just as frustrated. Biden did stoop to his level at times, but usually when provoked. I’m no Biden apologist, I think he sucks as a politician, but he sure as heck came across as more human last night.

• Upvote 5

I just feel bad for anyone who tuned in thinking they might learn something about either candidate’s views or policies. Wallace lost control early and Biden wasn’t exactly amazing but my nine year old is capable of interrupting less than, and having a more mature conversation than Donald Trump. Trevor Noah suggested we give the next moderator a spray bottle. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Prozac said:

I just feel bad for anyone who tuned in thinking they might learn something about either candidate’s views or policies. Wallace lost control early and Biden wasn’t exactly amazing but my nine year old is capable of interrupting less than, and having a more mature conversation than Donald Trump. Trevor Noah suggested we give the next moderator a spray bottle. 

I think one of those spears with a taser on the end from Jurassic Park might be more entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slackline said:

Biden did what he needed to, not seem sick or weak. His answers were ok, but he didn't say anything that I thought had a good punch. But it's hard to notably punch the guy that everyone else spends all day punching.

Trump needed to back off, save the "classic Trump" stuff for later. Came out of the gate way too fast. But he has no crowd, and that's his happy place. It seems like his best line of attack was the Hunter Biden stuff, but he flubbed when Joe brought up his dead kid. Should have praised then pivot, instead he just pivoted. 

Not sure what his plan was for the taxes fight. Either just lie it all away, or what he meant to say was "I pay millions in taxes through my business, not personal income, that's just how it works." But he didn't get that across.

His climate answers were good-not-great, but firmly good. Medical was all over, but Republicans have been dropping the ball on Obamacare replacement for years. Better answer: I'm not going to bankrupt the American economy on unproven technology and theories when we can spend the money meaningfully protecting our rivers, forests, and oceans from pollution. He did get Joe to fumble a bit with the green new deal.

The pandemic stuff was weak. He could have slaughtered Joe by pointing out the sheer stupidity of blaming him for the number of deaths, and keep going back to January, but instead he just kept saying how couldn't handle it. Weak. 

The hunter biden stuff seems to shake Joe the most, so I bet there will be more of it. You can tell Trump doesn't do well in a dynamic debate. There were some softballs he missed completely because he's so stuck on what he expected to be asked. Two examples were condemning white supremacists and committing to an orderly transition. Those are "Yes, but..." questions, and he turned them into just "but..." questions. He could have scored home runs on both of those.

I don't think the first debate moved the needle.

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

It seems like his best line of attack was the Hunter Biden stuff, but he flubbed when Joe brought up his dead kid.

This was Joe's most brilliant re-attack of the night.  Who can't sympathize with a man with a son with a drug problem?  Joe's response completely took the air out of the Russian angle of attack Trump was going for and just made Trump look like a doosh for bringing it up.

• Upvote 1

I think his plan was to try and fluster Biden with interruptions, but sometimes less is more. Just let Joe talk, and he’ll get onto some Corn Pop tangent. The fact he wouldn’t just condemn white supremacy, will be all that is talked about. That should have been an easy layup, but hey....it’s Trump

36 minutes ago, Homestar said:

This was Joe's most brilliant re-attack of the night.  Who can't sympathize with a man with a son with a drug problem?  Joe's response completely took the air out of the Russian angle of attack Trump was going for and just made Trump look like a doosh for bringing it up.

Until Trump mentioned his other son and his purported military record.

Trump may not have come off well (sts), but Joe didn't have any meat (sts) in the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Until Trump mentioned his other son and his purported military record.

The one that died of brain cancer?  Yeah, Trump didn't win that one either.

For clarity:

Beau Biden: Army National Guard, died of brain cancer. All around good guy from what I can tell.

Hunter Biden: Navy Reserve, discharged due to positive drug test, dated his brother's widow, shady ties to Ukraine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Homestar said:

The one that died of brain cancer?  Yeah, Trump didn't win that one either.

For clarity:

Beau Biden: Army National Guard, died of brain cancer. All around good guy from what I can tell.

Hunter Biden: Navy Reserve, discharged due to positive drug test, dated his brother's widow, shady ties to Ukraine.

And a Russian chick in Moscow with a govt job and a fat bank account also buddy buddy with Putin.

Speaking as neutral observer:

The fact that the general consensus is and all of the YouTube video highlights showed that both men were equally as bad is a win for Trump.  You kind of expected Trump to be who he is in this kind of environment, but the general public didn't expect Biden to be part of the "Shit Show".  So now you've plant the idea in everyone's mind that Biden is just/kind of like Trump, then the advantage goes to Trump.

• Upvote 2

I don't think there's anything a rational person can take away from this debate other than trump being completely unhinged. His interruptions and constant riffing overshadowed any possible Biden missteps and was the absolute driver of chaos throughout the debate. No one is talking about joes policy stances, or his mental slips, or his refusal to denounce antifa because trump simply would not shut up. You know it's bad when you're the republican and the Fox News moderator is fed up with your antics. 

On top of that, Trump had a few good lines here and there and joe definitely tripped up a few times but it was all lost in the ever-present cacophony of his stream of consciousness jabs. Maybe this style would have worked to dominate a stage of 10 candidates early in a primary.  Maybe it would have worked with a large audience with applause breaks. But this was not that.  It was a one on one debate with clearly defined rules and no active audience to pander to.  He ended up looking like an unruly toddler and that is THE story of the debate. 

You can say that this is just trumps schtick, and you'd be half right. But this was a uniquely bad showing and perhaps the schtick is getting old. 

• Upvote 1