The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

On 8/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, brickhistory said:

Trial balloon being floated about is that Biden shouldn't "dignify" Trump with a debate since Trump will simply be lying the entire time.

Which to a sane person, seems like a great opportunity to club the baby orange seal and show the fast ball is still there (mixed metaphors acknowledged).

Let's see how high this one floats...

“I would say there is one candidate in this race who has agreed to three debates and that’s Joe Biden. The Trump campaign has actually not agreed yet to participate in the debates set by the presidential debate commission,”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-campaign-official-trump-debates

#fakenews

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

FFS.  Any functioning adult...just one, please run for President!

Dan Crenshaw? Colin Powell?  Mike Rowe?  Keanu Reeves?

Anyone?  Please?

Kanye West put his name in the poll. Shit at this rate I'll probably vote for him. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Kanye West put his name in the poll. Shit at this rate I'll probably vote for him. 

I think he only made the ballot in a single state, and he and his wife are open about how he is bipolar. Hopefully you're not serious and/or you live in Oklahoma because otherwise that's not an option.

Donald Trump or Joe Biden will be the next President of the United States so despite their flaws I'd recommend voting for whoever you think is best between those two.

12 minutes ago, Prozac said:

nsplayer, I usually expect thoughtful, well thought out responses from you here. Which is why you need to do a self check on the old sarcasm detector my brother. 🤨😜

Hahaha. But who knows, maybe I was serious.....

On 7/31/2020 at 7:26 PM, dream big said:

Also please pick Harris as your VP...

I know you meant this snidely, but Biden picked Harris. Good choice IMHO, she was my fav of the people Biden apparently had on his shortlist. Smart, tough debater, good campaigner, previously vetted, current holder of high office, the proper age to balance the ticket.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Haha 1

I agree.

Once Biden committed himself to determining that skin color and genitalia were the paramount considerations for his pick, she is the most usable choice for him.

**cough - Willie Brown - **cough

edited to add:  The first joke making the rounds so far:

Kamala has less baggage than the other potential picks because she keeps leaving it at Willie Brown's...

G'night everybody!  I'll be here all week.  Tip your servers....

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

I know you meant this snidely, but Biden picked Harris. Good choice IMHO, she was my fav of the people Biden apparently had on his shortlist. Smart, tough debater, good campaigner, previously vetted, current holder of high office, the proper age to balance the ticket.

And apparently good at dealing with men 31 years her senior...just ask Willie Brown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nsplayr said:

A woman who jailed thousands and thousands of black men as a prosecutor.  And it's the person they want to put forward while people are protesting racial inequality in the criminal justice system.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 7

Her ambition displayed as the DA of SF and AG of California is scary. She cares only about herself and winning and doesn’t care about the people who she knowingly kept in jail while innocent. It’s a complete joke that the Democratic Party is trying to align itself against brutal policing and in favor of criminal justice reform. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

The “Kamala is too tough on crime” argument is gonna be hard to make while simultaneously claiming the Dems hate cops and want chaos in the street.

I agree that tough-on-crime policies have failed a lot of people for a long time, and am glad I have some folks on the right that might agree.

That being said, I don’t think Harris was particularly bad as a DA or AG, just like Biden wasn’t particularly bad as a Senator on these issues. Some on the left in particular will vehemently disagree. I saw they were both products of the time, and I care more about what they will do now and when in power in the next administration than the ins and outs of what policy they supported 40, 20, or even 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, brickhistory said:

I agree.

Once Biden committed himself to determining that skin color and genitalia were the paramount considerations for his pick, she is the most usable choice for him.

**cough - Willie Brown - **cough

edited to add:  The first joke making the rounds so far:

Kamala has less baggage than the other potential picks because she keeps leaving it at Willie Brown's...

G'night everybody!  I'll be here all week.  Tip your servers....

No worries, the Secret Services has obviously upped their cock-blocking game since the mid/late 90's:<)

11 hours ago, nsplayr said:

That being said, I don’t think Harris was particularly bad as a DA or AG, just like Biden wasn’t particularly bad as a Senator on these issues. 

You are pretty strong supporter of Dems and their policies.  If the most you can say about Biden/Harris is "I don't think they were particularly bad" what do you think moderates are saying?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lloyd christmas said:

You are pretty strong supporter of Dems and their policies.  If the most you can say about Biden/Harris is "I don't think they were particularly bad" what do you think moderates are saying?  

I think this is the wrong question.  It's what moderates are saying about them in comparison to Trump and Pence, and their current/past achievements and failures.

We're not electing in a vacuum, this is politics and Biden just picked a black woman as his VP.  "BuT tHaT's RaCiSt/SeXiSt!"  Whatever, it's political.  "Uncle Joe" is trying to shore up what he sees as some weaknesses in his elect-ability as well as a VP he can work with.  Same thing Trump did with Pence, and so on down the line.

For those screaming about it...did the VP pick really sway you one way or the other?  Did Palin when McCain picked her?  Did you cry the same thing then?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, lloyd christmas said:

The critique on criminal justice is typically from the left. “They supported policies that locked up too many people for too long and didn’t vigorously investigate bad cops.” I don’t disagree with that critique but don’t find it disqualifying either especially given their current stances when compared with what they supported previously.

So if you are more conservative than the left wing of the Democratic Party, ie moderates compared to the nation as a whole, I think that the Biden/Harris history of being “tough on crime” might even be a strength rather than a liability.

IMHO it will be challenging for the GOP to at the same time critique Biden/Harris for being too harsh on crime while at the same time supporting policies that are even harsher. Caricatures work best when there is a kernel of truth, and there’s not really a kernel of truth in saying Biden/Harris are leaders of some liberal ANTIFA mob when they’re an old white guy who wrote the 90s crime bill and a former DA and AG.

My original point was that at no time were Biden or Harris really outside they mainstream of national views on criminal justice, even if their “tough on crime” stances from, say, the 90s, but them at odds with where the Democratic Party in particular is today. The Dem Party, Biden/Harris, and to a lesser extent America as a whole have evolved a bit toward wanting less-harsh criminal justice measures applied, especially to low-level non-violent drug offenders, eg the pair have moved their positions along with public opinion rather than remaining strict ideologues.

The most I can say about Biden/Harris is that I enthusiastically support their vision for the country going forward and I think they will do an excellent job governing.

Biden was not my first choice for the top of the ticket but he’s the right person for this moment. My critiques of him are mostly centered on his age and some really bad calls on foreign policy in the past. That being said he’s perfectly acceptable as the leader of the party and would is a credible and plausible President.

After Biden won the primary convincingly over several folks I liked better, Harris was my top VP choice to pair with him. I’m 100% happy with her being selected and think she’ll make a good VP and I’m assuming strong nominee for President in 2024.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

I think this is the wrong question.  It's what moderates are saying about them in comparison to Trump and Pence, and their current/past achievements and failures.

We're not electing in a vacuum, this is politics and Biden just picked a black woman as his VP.  "BuT tHaT's RaCiSt/SeXiSt!"  Whatever, it's political.  "Uncle Joe" is trying to shore up what he sees as some weaknesses in his elect-ability as well as a VP he can work with.  Same thing Trump did with Pence, and so on down the line.

For those screaming about it...did the VP pick really sway you one way or the other?  Did Palin when McCain picked her?  Did you cry the same thing then?

This. 

Mostly.

However, Biden's old, frail, and, IMO, not all there anymore.  For a fair number of people, his selection for his VP is also about completing the term in office, never mind a second term.

In the political realm, should Biden win, he's going into his Presidency as a self-proclaimed lame duck.  The levers of power will care about his VP, not so much him.

But for my purposes, I think this is a good choice.

• Upvote 1