The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

53 minutes ago, Lawman said:

“Combat operations in Afghanistan are over....”

”no boots on the ground....”

”we will engage in a support capacity in Libya...”

i mean I guess we were all some kind of special forces or something from 2012 until 2016, because I swear I was engaged in a war that was so secret it couldn’t even be acknowledged publicly. 

Nothing new.  I'm talking more the constant barrage of twitter statements from him that quite frequently aren't based on reality.  The twitter feed amplifies the normal political twisting of facts/lying.  

23 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Nothing new.  I'm talking more the constant barrage of twitter statements from him that quite frequently aren't based on reality.  The twitter feed amplifies the normal political twisting of facts/lying.  

His Twitter isn’t for anybody but his base who wouldn’t care and want to hear what they want to hear anyway, and the idiot critics who are so obsessed with everything they can’t accept about the guy that they can’t figure that part out. 

People actually trying to have some sort of high brow philosophical discussion on how he’s “unfit for office” and bringing evidence to the court of discussion being “well he lied about crowd size.” Seriously that’s dumber than his constant bragging and bullshit. 

He’s what we get for being so TMZ. This a country that votes more to select who is gonna win a reality karaoke show on TV than for the leader of the country. Guess what, it doesn’t care enough to change the channel because Trumps Twitter. Get some better ammo or get a better candidate for 2020, because otherwise this guy wins again while the Democratic Party splinters it’s self into a dozen pieces trying to find the hardest route to an easy victory by deliberately making it more difficult for themselves.

Edited by Lawman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Any thoughts on how long this partial government shutdown is going to last? From their own perspectives, neither Trump nor congressional Democrats have much incentive to give in. The question, in my opinion, is if the rest of the Republican party will eventually throw in the towel.

Ask McConnell.  All hell will break loose when the TSA folks miss their first check.  The can only make ends meet so much by stealing shit out of my bags, and confiscating the good stuff at security lines.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ask McConnell.  All hell will break loose when the TSA folks miss their first check.  The can only make ends meet so much by stealing shit out of my bags, and confiscating the good stuff at security lines.

They’re already calling out sick in record numbers according to CNN. And it is a “huge safety issue.”

14 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Ah, I see the solution. All TSAs at DCA, IAD, and BWI no show and effectively shut down air travel in the DC area.

Extreme, sure.

Likely, no.

Watching it actually happen and the reactions, priceless.

Out

Likelihood of any bureaucrat making the connection between such a "job action" and the RLA...nil.  TSA jobs program gotta be protected.

16 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

They’re already calling out sick in record numbers according to CNN. And it is a “huge safety issue.”

TSA officially calling CNN report "fake news."

So, CNN does have a track record of such especially anything the current Administration touches.

On the other hand, it is the 'gubmint' which has a long, bi-partisan record of:

remain.calm_.animal.house_.jpg

So, who to believe?

On the other hand, this could be a blessing in disguise if air travel is rid of the pestilence of TSA.

Worst case, short term, is the National Guard a la immediate post-9/11.

Funny how Trump is to blame and not the other side of the table as well.

This could be a great opportunity for a deal as both sides have drawn a deep line in the sand and if they back down without a countering win, then at least Trump is toast.  Which may be the long game of both Democrats and Republicans.

Then there is this :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/04/hours-after-making-history-rep-rashida-tlaib-profanely-promises-impeach-trump/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a58936d27594

Hard to make an argument against Trump’s “temperament” when you keep stooping to new lows.  This kind of behavior will all but guarantee a Trump re-election.  

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

How hard is it to just do both? Build a big wall then legalize all the Dreamers. Problem solved. I’ll be here all week. 

Wasn’t that the proposed deal this past summer? Trump straight up offered legalization for Dreamers in return for the wall.  Dems refused and walked away, now here we are.

Yea they said no to that, I think they are waiting to see what the supreme court rules on DACA before they use it as a bargaining chip.  

I don't understand why they don't try to add in some big infrastructure projects into the bill.  The president wants to do that and they usually end up benefiting the large cities on the coasts.  

6 hours ago, Homestar said:

How hard is it to just do both? Build a big wall then legalize all the Dreamers. Problem solved. I’ll be here all week. 

Depends on the practical interpretation of legalization... if you mean pathway to citizenship, no thanks; if you mean a pathway to a green card, maybe...

There is a yuuuuge moral hazard to anything even remotely close to amnesty for illegal aliens being granted citizenship, if said illegal aliens have a sympathetic / no fault reason for being here when they were minors but just because your dad stole a car and gave it to you and you've been driving it thinking it is your own doesn't mean you really own it.  

The deal that needs to be made between Globalists/Nationalists, Liberals/Conservatives, etc. on the intertwined issues of border security, immigration enforcement, labor market saturation, social services eligibility, employer culpability, political & economic collusion, etc... is one where for every concession to one side is one where the other side gets a concession to a second order effect of the problem/phenomena being acted on... 

For example(s):

Dreamers/DACA - Ok, Leftists get legal status (green cards) for the Dreamers but then Nationalists get strong Voter ID/Voter Integrity laws/systems as the underlying and not unjustified fear is that Leftists are trying to rapidly changing the voting electorate to ensure permanent national dominance by skewering key states in the SW USA overnight with millions of new citizens who can sponsor family based migration to again continue to skewer the electorate rapidly.   

Mercy & Opportunity given to a vulnerable group, Vigilance & Integrity over the political process to the citizens.

Border Security/Wall - Nationalists want a wall/border security to prevent illegal and/or ill-intended crossings and to emphasize sovereignty/security but Liberals/Libertarians want an open/permissive border for humanitarian and economic reasons.  Ok, give the Nationalists/Conservatives the border/port/visa security enforcement they want but then give the liberals/libertarians/businesses/politically inclined US states the to ability to sponsor X number of aliens on visas by application and assumption of financial responsibility.  What is so damn infuriating to Nationalists/Conservatives is that entities like agri-business, some hi-tech industries, hospitality industries want the cheap labor of large unskilled alien populations with questionable legal status preventing unionization and agitation for better compensation but not the responsibility for inherent costs that that population will bring with them (strain on social services, criminality, disruption of labor markets, etc...).  If business want unlimited H1-B visas, sure... they cost 20% per year of the alien's salary in fees to directly fund social programs for American Citizens to address the effect they have on American workers.  If your worker overstays his/her visa then no worries, to get them here you posted a 20k bond to cover apprehension and removal for illegal overstay, we'll just give that to whatever local LE agency picks them up and delivers them to ICE.  You (individual or US state) sponsor an alien for humanitarian reasons, sure and you fund their needs until they are self-sufficient and if they can provide for themselves, that alien can apply for a green card or citizenship.

Security & Sovereignty given to a wary population, Opportunity & Responsibility given and assigned to those so inclined.

Other examples are there but this method of honest compromise would be IMO necessary to begin lower the temperature, honestly admit problems/causes/solutions/costs to vexing modern problems and acknowledge (at least) tacitly that our union is not exactly strong but sustainable if we give each other space and some autonomy... blue and red states stop trying to infiltrate, warp and/or displace the economies, culture and populations of each other.  

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1

The other side knows all this, they are duped into what they think is “caring” is actually support for a future voter.  They really support ignoring the law and overlooking criminal acts because it “feels” good, and you brought up morals, to a lefty that’s laughable, they kill babies and are proud of it, 41 million last year if you believe the reports.

2 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

amnesty for illegal aliens

Reasonable people can disagree as to the true status of so-called "Dreamers."  Point is, lots of Conrgresspeople no-way want legalization for Dreamers much like lots of Congresspeople no-way want a wall.  So, build a wall first (can't reneg on a wall that's been built already) then grant one-time legal status for Dreamers.  Nobody gets everything they want.  Everyone gets something of what they want.  Used to be that's how things worked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matmacwc said:

The other side knows all this, they are duped into what they think is “caring” is actually support for a future voter.  They really support ignoring the law and overlooking criminal acts because it “feels” good, and you brought up morals, to a lefty that’s laughable, they kill babies and are proud of it, 41 million last year if you believe the reports.

There's that spirit of compromise Clark was talking about!

2 hours ago, Homestar said:

Reasonable people can disagree as to the true status of so-called "Dreamers."  Point is, lots of Conrgresspeople no-way want legalization for Dreamers much like lots of Congresspeople no-way want a wall.  So, build a wall first (can't reneg on a wall that's been built already) then grant one-time legal status for Dreamers.  Nobody gets everything they want.  Everyone gets something of what they want.  Used to be that's how things worked.

Yup but it's not done anymore.  

The country is no longer to able to generate the levels of consensus necessary for the Federal government to function as it is currently structured.  If we didn't try to do everything at the national level it would not be as big of a problem.  Now the Federal budget is not the end all be all of the status of our national civic health, but it is a good bellwether. 

As to the Dreamers, the memories of President Regan's amnesty in 86 and the unkept promise of border security / immigration enforcement are not forgotten.  They have to go first IMO (Dems, leftists, etc...) if they want any sort of permanent legal status for DACA recipients; give us at least 2 years of wall construction, heavy surge in deportations (focused on dangerous illegal aliens first), prosecution of employers who use illegal alien labor and English as an the official language of the USA and the Nationalists/Conservatives will reciprocate in kind... if it were me as leader of the Nationalists/Conservatives following that downpayment by the other side I would offer legal status first for the DACA recipients and then a medium term visa to green card status for the 20 million illegal aliens in the USA now, all of 'em, no path to citizenship at first but at a later state following other give and take transactions.  

The next big step would be IMO would be a program to allow a path to citizenship for the illegal immigrant population in the USA over a 20 year period but the concession would be a 20 year pause to legal immigration, end to birthright citizenship and an end to chain migration.  Legal immigration is about 1 million a year so over 20 years, legalization of the existing illegal immigration would be about a wash over the 20 year period.  This would allow enough time to release the pressure slowly not explosively.

Harmony can be had thru give and take but both sides have to be willing to give big to get big.

If not, this article by Jessie Kelly on the end of the USA becomes more and more possible:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/10/time-united-states-divorce-things-get-dangerous/

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wait, I thought Mexico was paying. That was the campaign promise right? How’d we end up at a government shutdown over a wall that was promised to be paid for by funds that didn’t involve American tax dollars?  I’m confused. Are we taking the president literally or figuratively this week?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Wait, I thought Mexico was paying. That was the campaign promise right? How’d we end up at a government shutdown over a wall that was promised to be paid for by funds that didn’t involve American tax dollars?  I’m confused. Are we taking the president literally or figuratively this week?

Mexico IS paying for it bigly.  All the money we are saving thru new NAFTA is....

I thought I could keep my doctor too but turns out not everything they say is true - as long as he sticks to the core principles of that argument from his campaign - actually trying to secure the border, enforce our immigration laws, not allowing our country to taken advantage of from specious asylum claims and removing illegal aliens with a priority on violent ones I can live with footing that bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1