Do Certain Groups in AF Need More Mentorship?

Guest ThatGuy

They don't want to do it, anything more than that is making them oppressed or a victim.  And we all know the military would bend over backwards to sign them up, and maybe that is also part of the problem.  They don't know if they are succeeding because of what they did versus who they are, I would think that would be unfulfilling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

They don't want to do it, anything more than that is making them oppressed or a victim.  And we all know the military would bend over backwards to sign them up, and maybe that is also part of the problem.  They don't know if they are succeeding because of what they did versus who they are, I would think that would be unfulfilling.

When I was visiting Guard and Reserve units trying to get a slot, I met probably in total 200 potential applicants doing the same. I don't think a single one was female. Could it just be a lack of awareness of the opportunity?

• Upvote 2

When I was visiting Guard and Reserve units trying to get a slot, I met probably in total 200 potential applicants doing the same. I don't think a single one was female. Could it just be a lack of awareness of the opportunity?

My initial reaction is, what college age adult in this information based society wouldn't know they could be a pilot in the military? However, an under 40 dual PhD at Sandia (i.e. not a slouch) recently was surprised women could be military pilots in a conversation...so possibly.

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

My initial reaction is, what college age adult in this information based society wouldn't know they could be a pilot in the military? However, an under 40 dual PhD at Sandia (i.e. not a slouch) recently was surprised women could be military pilots in a conversation...so possibly.

I mean, I've been to MEPS a couple times in preparation for getting my FC1, and the number one comment I heard from the (almost literally) kids there when they found out I was trying to fly was, "Oh, I'd have done that, but I have glasses." The myth that you must have superhuman eagle vision is extraordinarily prevalent. Lots of misconceptions like that exist, I think. How many people know that the Guard and Reserve actually commission and train new pilots, outside of these forums and a few others like it? Not many. I didn't, really, until a friend in Reserve suggested I look into it. It's well known that the recruiters aren't exactly a well of knowledge and veracity, as well.

I guess my point is, maybe the traditional method what the USAF has done for pilot recruiting is great for recruiting white guys, but not for other groups. I don't want pilot affirmative action by any means, but increasing the applicant pool by targeting demographics that simply don't apply in serious numbers would increase the quality of pilots by simple numbers.

Edited by sforron
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, pawnman said:

So there should be plenty of women who are eligible to join as officers and pilots...but they don't.  Then the question becomes "why not?"

We don't understand it is an opportunity unless we have someone (family/mentor) who can expose us to it. I'd say that's true of everyone though. When every picture of someone in a cockpit doesn't look like or represent you, its harder to make a connection at a any age that it's something you can do too. When I was in girlscouts, we did sowing, baking and figuring out what clothing color looked best with our skin, today I'm getting girlscout troops onto the airfields and into cockpits. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, sforron said:

..., "Oh, I'd have done that, but I have glasses." The myth that you must have superhuman eagle vision is extraordinarily prevalent. Lots of misconceptions like that exist, I think....  

I'd have to agree.  But I think part of the reason that myth is still around is because all those stories from Uncle Charlie, and others of his generations, who didn't get selected for the Aviation Cadet program back in 1942 and ended up shoveling shit in Louisiana and missed out on WWII.  These stories get repeated and repeated and then somehow become cold stone truth.  Along with other "facts" like when someone's best friend's second cousin's dog talks about how things "really" work.  Like everything in the BX is a nickle, dime, quarter because that's how it was back when old man Smith down the street had it when he was in the Army back in 59'.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sforron said:

I mean, I've been to MEPS a couple times in preparation for getting my FC1, and the number one comment I heard from the (almost literally) kids there when they found out I was trying to fly was, "Oh, I'd have done that, but I have glasses." The myth that you must have superhuman eagle vision is extraordinarily prevalent. Lots of misconceptions like that exist, I think. How many people know that the Guard and Reserve actually commission and train new pilots, outside of these forums and a few others like it? Not many. I didn't, really, until a friend in Reserve suggested I look into it. It's well known that the recruiters aren't exactly a well of knowledge and veracity, as well.

I guess my point is, maybe the traditional method what the USAF has done for pilot recruiting is great for recruiting white guys, but not for other groups. I don't want pilot affirmative action by any means, but increasing the applicant pool by targeting demographics that simply don't apply in serious numbers would increase the quality of pilots by simple numbers.

Never self eliminate. Ever.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

So, in my opinion... if you can fix the lack of diversity in these STEM fields (if that's the path the AF wants to continue to tread) then this will fix itself. The most sustainable solution (in my humble opinion) however, is working to make sure people realize you can be an English major and become a pilot. 

Unfortunately, pilots are grossly underrepresented in ROTC and other commissioning and recruiting sources.  If we were a presence, perhaps the information would be a little more accurate.

• Upvote 1

Fair point. Our Det/CC was a Herk Nav and we thought we had it good. The rest of our cadre spanned Finance and Logistics.
Wasn't there a recruiting program/offer that allowed candidates to go up in a plane with a recruiter back in the day? Way before my time, but I always thought that was an awesome way to go. Why not team up ROTC Detachments/AD recruiters with CAP Squadrons and force the CAP to offer incentive rides. Not like there's much going on with CAP anyhow...

I remember CAP incentive rides at my detachment. It was designed to target ROTC kids with no flying experience to see if they were interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some guys I know treated poorly when I was a captain. I'm talking grads from the USAFA and USNA as well. One was a pretty big guy around 6 ft 6 inches and he told me straight up one of his CCs was intimidated by him. The one officer who took care of them was in fact a fast burner. Best CC I've ever had to this day. The negative aspects of the AF some minorities pilots experience are definitely a deterrent to others trying to fly.

In my opinion, minorities who want to promote and fly will find a way if they are mentored properly. A vast majority who dont want to promote have had bad experiences and will want out. But mentoring those individuals is crucial to ensuring they are promoted. Otherwise, if there is nobody else like them in the chain of command what makes any person think they can climb the ladder or reach that level? Most minorities look for inspiration in others like them. 

Edited by hatedont
  • Upvote 2