Sign in to follow this  
gearpig

USAFA: Being masculine is bad

sqwatch    404
We do, them.  

Took me 69 seconds to comprehend this post because I missed the comma. That comma was important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 6

di1630    450
The traits that make her a good wingman are traditionally considered masculine.

I disagree.

Wingman should not speak much, do exactly what I say when I say, bring me jalapeño popcorn and beer to the debrief and clean my briefing room when I'm done.

I'd say those are some of the same traits you should look for in a woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

tk1313    241
7 hours ago, di1630 said:

I disagree.

Wingman should not speak much, do exactly what I say when I say, bring me jalapeño popcorn and beer to the debrief and clean my briefing room when I'm done.

WingMAN?!

assume my gender.jpg

• Upvote 3

AdiosAETC    4
10 hours ago, di1630 said:

I disagree.

IMG_2712.PNG

• Upvote 1

Bauwse    17
14 hours ago, AdiosAETC said:

The traits that make her a good wingman are traditionally considered masculine traits

It's time you stopped acting like emotion and goodness comes out of our vaginas and being a warrior cums out of a dick.

• Upvote 3

Spoo    455
On 11/6/2016 at 6:14 AM, AdiosAETC said:

I'm pretty sure my flight lead doesn't give a shit if I'm a man, woman, Asian, blackanese or Mesican as long as I can pitch-in from the notch and kill his threat when he's exiting. 

It doesn't matter who you are, but the abilities required to kill in air-to-air combat are inherently 'masculine' and that won't change at any point in the future. 

We've officially lost our minds and our way as organization. 

Go get 'em killer.

• Upvote 2

matmacwc    1,092
On 11/6/2016 at 9:44 PM, sqwatch said:

Mods, please enable bad words. I can't even quote bad words for fvcks sake.

Safari running Adblock and ghostery, I don't seem to have the problem.  This site tracks way more then you'd think.

Kiloalpha    207
3 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Safari running Adblock and ghostery, I don't seem to have the problem.  This site tracks way more then you'd think.

Safari running Adblock and Disconnect, no issues here... and he's 100% correct.

Jughead    168

Using Adblock Plus--I thought it was redundant to have multiple blockers, but you two guys obviously feel differently.  Help me understand why I want additional plug-in(s) for this, please...?

matmacwc    1,092
2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Using Adblock Plus--I thought it was redundant to have multiple blockers, but you two guys obviously feel differently.  Help me understand why I want additional plug-in(s) for this, please...?

Ghostery blocks trackers/bugs, you'd be surprised, you get a graphic every page you go to that is secretly tracking you, and it blocks them.  Its kind of a "new" cookie thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery

Jughead    168
58 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Ghostery blocks trackers/bugs, you'd be surprised, you get a graphic every page you go to that is secretly tracking you, and it blocks them.  Its kind of a "new" cookie thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery

Understood.  Is that substantially different than what AdBlock does?  If it does "more" than AdBlock (the graphic you mention, say), would it serve as a replacement (upgrade) from AdBlock?

Or, do the two work in tandem, each doing their own complementary thing without much overlap?

Thanks!  I need to get smarter on this....

Kiloalpha    207
7 hours ago, Jughead said:

Understood.  Is that substantially different than what AdBlock does?  If it does "more" than AdBlock (the graphic you mention, say), would it serve as a replacement (upgrade) from AdBlock?

Or, do the two work in tandem, each doing their own complementary thing without much overlap?

Thanks!  I need to get smarter on this....

Adblock will search the code of the page for advertisements and block them. That's all it does.

Ghostery and Disconnect (or others) work by shielding you from certain bits of code that other servers use to track traffic on the page. Those servers track your data, build a profile on you and then sell it for a profit. It's all part of the "Big Data" game. 

This video explains it.

I actually switched to uBlock from Adblock on my laptop, there's allegations of Adblock letting google pay them to allow some ads. uBlock is open-source, so none of that crap going on. Same with Disconnect, it's open-source as well. (open-source means that the code of the software is open and available to the public, i.e. no secret tracking)

Edited by Kiloalpha

Jughead    168

Whoa.  Good vid, thanks for posting.  There's a difference between understanding what "could" be done with Big Data, vs seeing it in action....

OK, Ghostery up & running on my browser.  I selected "block all" for the trackers, figuring I could re-enable anything for any particular page that gets broken as a result.  We'll see if this slows me down or annoys me, but I like to think I'm doing something good for myself here....

One more question, and a note:

Q:  Ghostery includes an "ads" group of trackers to block; will that not block the ads (i.d., AdBlock is superfluous)?  Or does it just block the trackers associated with ads, but allow ads themselves through?

NB:  To your point about AdBlock being criticized, I note that I had to opt out of letting Ghostery track my track-blocking (if I said that correctly), so, I'd say they're all looking to make a buck off this.... 

Kiloalpha    207
12 hours ago, Jughead said:

Whoa.  Good vid, thanks for posting.  There's a difference between understanding what "could" be done with Big Data, vs seeing it in action....

OK, Ghostery up & running on my browser.  I selected "block all" for the trackers, figuring I could re-enable anything for any particular page that gets broken as a result.  We'll see if this slows me down or annoys me, but I like to think I'm doing something good for myself here....

One more question, and a note:

Q:  Ghostery includes an "ads" group of trackers to block; will that not block the ads (i.d., AdBlock is superfluous)?  Or does it just block the trackers associated with ads, but allow ads themselves through?

NB:  To your point about AdBlock being criticized, I note that I had to opt out of letting Ghostery track my track-blocking (if I said that correctly), so, I'd say they're all looking to make a buck off this.... 

I have never used Ghostery, but it may do both ad-blocking and anti-tracking. @matmacwc might be able to answer that. With my setup (uBlock and Disconnect), they don't overlap.

Noted about making a buck. At the very least though, you're better off with the software than without it.

pcola    182
18 hours ago, sqwatch said:

See..

I think the Tapatalk may be your problem.  Try logging in on firefox for your next ops check.  I've noticed that my f-bombs don't work on the baseops app, but no issues when posting from a browser.

pcola    182

Also...if you want to search without being tracked, try duck duck go.  I find that I get better results than the mainstream engines, too.

• Upvote 1

Kiloalpha    207
2 hours ago, pcola said:

Also...if you want to search without being tracked, try duck duck go.  I find that I get better results than the mainstream engines, too.

For some, DuckDuckGo works really well. For my work, I hated it. I already use Gmail, so I don't have much of a choice about removing Google entirely.