gearpig

USAFA: Being masculine is bad

Saw this article on Christianfighterpilot.com. As the Academy molds our future leaders, these are the ideas they are officially promoting.

http://christianfighterpilot.com/2016/11/04/us-air-force-academy-fights-masculinity-in-the-military/

"

Male cadets focus on understanding the social pressures of hyper-masculinity and the negative impacts of these attributes in leadership within a diverse military environment.

• Upvote 1

We all know the importance of putting together a strike package with the proper mix of genetic dispositions, orientations, and beliefs will ensure mission success and supersedes the selection of the proper weapons to kill people and break things.  Masculine behavior is much too scary and warrior like.  Diversity, diversity, diversity....just keep chanting that.

• Upvote 15

Funny, my WIC instructors never brought up the diversity of the crews we were using in execution. And I thought they debriefed us on EVERYTHING.

Someone should write a TIP-there's still time before WEPTAC

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

Is there a table in JMEM for calculating Pd  as a function of diversity?  Wait, you have two dudes from Texas on the jet? Alright ripple two.

• Upvote 2

To play devil's advocate isn't that the entire basis of ORM? Of the IMSAFE acronym?

Sure you could probably operate just fine drugged up on nyquil, or on a 20 hour duty day or even when you're current but not proficient, but is that really the time when you want to take a multimillion dollar aircraft with a few other people on board and give it the ole college try? Is that being a pussy or is that the right time and place to turn off the macho attitude?

We know toning it down works in the flying community and it's worked in other traditionally masculine jobs like the oil drilling rigs ( http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/06/17/482203447/invisibilia-how-learning-to-be-vulnerable-can-make-life-safer) why wouldn't you adapt it for other areas as well? If an idea sounds stupid but it works, it's not a stupid idea.

• Upvote 3

I'm pretty sure my flight lead doesn't give a shit if I'm a man, woman, Asian, blackanese or Mesican as long as I can pitch-in from the notch and kill his threat when he's exiting. 

It doesn't matter who you are, but the abilities required to kill in air-to-air combat are inherently 'masculine' and that won't change at any point in the future. 

We've officially lost our minds and our way as organization. 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter who you are, but the abilities required to kill in air-to-air combat are inherently 'masculine' and that won't change at any point in the future.

Yep, only a man can slew "his" cursor and press the pickle button in today's A/A environment. If in a merge, the smaller female brain doesn't hold up to G's as well as a male. They also don't see very well in the dark so night flying is a def no-no for women plus women are 69% more scared of clouds than men and then map reading....hell no.

Dude, you sound like an ROTC cadet.

I'm pretty sure I know some chicks who would make you their b-tch in A/A and A/G.

Why? Because you and apparently the USAF don't understand it's not a gender thing, it's a training/experience thing.

3 hours ago, di1630 said:

Yep, only a man can slew "his" cursor and press the pickle button in today's A/A environment. If in a merge, the smaller female brain doesn't hold up to G's as well as a male. They also don't see very well in the dark so night flying is a def no-no for women plus women are 69% more scared of clouds than men and then map reading....hell no.

I'm pretty sure I know some chicks who would make you their b-tch in A/A and A/G.

Why? Because you and apparently the USAF don't understand it's not a gender thing, it's a training/experience thing.

He didn't say only a man could do it. He said it takes masculine traits. And he's correct  

You're a clown, and that's now what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, pintail21 said:

To play devil's advocate isn't that the entire basis of ORM? Of the IMSAFE acronym?

Sure you could probably operate just fine drugged up on nyquil, or on a 20 hour duty day or even when you're current but not proficient, but is that really the time when you want to take a multimillion dollar aircraft with a few other people on board and give it the ole college try? Is that being a pussy or is that the right time and place to turn off the macho attitude?

We know toning it down works in the flying community and it's worked in other traditionally masculine jobs like the oil drilling rigs ( http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/06/17/482203447/invisibilia-how-learning-to-be-vulnerable-can-make-life-safer) why wouldn't you adapt it for other areas as well? If an idea sounds stupid but it works, it's not a stupid idea.

Right up until you take a good idea (ORM) and go full retard with it (C-17 crew that pulled the crew rest card on our squadron for 3 days straight in Germany while trying to rotate to the AOR).

This "masculinity is bad" thing falls in line with the aforementioned line of thinking/reasoning, IMO.

And to fully commit this derailment of the thread, I offer the following video to illustrate the point/laugh:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, di1630 said:

Wow, infer much?

Masculine traits are not exclusively reserved for men. 

• Downvote 1

You're a clown, and that's now what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spears accepted.

Nobody is probably as anti-female military combat as me. They are overall a losing investment for the military because we go overboard and try to get quotas and diversity at the expense of combat readiness in certain fields (like fighters).

But there are some good ones. And no, in 2016 you don't need to be a testosterone to take your radar shots or pickle your JDAM.

I know some dudes who are bigger puss-es in the air and on the ground than some chicks I've flown with but I'll admit, women are overall on average less aggressive and suited for fighters than males.

7 hours ago, pilotbeech said:

Lol, GTFO

What was so controversial about what I said? I've worked with chicks and dudes, both of which have their fair share of above and below average performers. 

The traits of being a successful warrior are stereotypically male throughout western history. That doesn't mean that there aren't some badass chick warriors out there that are equal to or better than males. 

But our culture tends to relate warrior culture to males. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just the way it is.

That doesn't mean a bro-ette can't be a good wingman. The traits that make her a good wingman are traditionally considered masculine traits. Apparently we've got some millennial SJWs on Baseops, now. 

• Upvote 1