Afghan Caravan (208) 365

Bode

13 hours ago, FLEA said:

My Boss just sent a solicitation for the first wave of AC-208 this summer. Looking for Capt/Major IPs, 11F/B/S/U preferred but will take others. 

Unfortunately I already have orders in hand to go to Korea. Do those in the know have any idea how long this mission will last? (Broadly, no OPSEC details please) And if this is something you can potentially get into while in the guard? 

You hear any mention of 12S?  I’m HIGHLY interested but heard the call would be fall at earliest. 

Cooter

I did not, but the e-mail seemed targeted at our squadron (no 12's) so I'm not sure that means they just didn't want them. I'm also highly interested. Wife gave me the go ahead to do it on the tail of our Korea tour if I still want to do it, but its going to put me in a precarious position with ADSCs. 

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

I did not, but the e-mail seemed targeted at our squadron (no 12's) so I'm not sure that means they just didn't want them. I'm also highly interested. Wife gave me the go ahead to do it on the tail of our Korea tour if I still want to do it, but its going to put me in a precarious position with ADSCs. 

How so? No ADSC for the training or 365, so...?

Yeah, sorry, some confusion there. Taking a follow on would extend my ADSC, and going back to my starting base would be some what problematic since we made significant life decisions based on a move to Korea and the fact it would be a peculiar amount of remaining ADSC. Still examining the options though. I haven't ruled this out. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:54 PM, Cooter said:

You hear any mention of 12S?  I’m HIGHLY interested but heard the call would be fall at earliest. 

Cooter

12S's are eligible.  They expect it to be a quick fill once it's announced.  Can always give them a call to see if you can put your name on a list though.

Anyone have any quality of life gouge on KAIA?  Good grub?  Good gym?  Roomates?  Communal bathrooms?  Skypable internet speeds?  The public welcome site has some info, but was hoping it was outdated or different for folks on a 365.

when does the 365 for light attack happen? asking for a friend

There are a couple billets for A-29 bubbas to go to Moody and teach on this assignment cycle. From there they do multiple deployments to the Stan. There isn’t an 365s unless it’s command (which is another discussion).

12S's are eligible.  They expect it to be a quick fill once it's announced.  Can always give them a call to see if you can put your name on a list though.
Anyone have any quality of life gouge on KAIA?  Good grub?  Good gym?  Roomates?  Communal bathrooms?  Skypable internet speeds?  The public welcome site has some info, but was hoping it was outdated or different for folks on a 365.

KAIA? HKIA maybe? Good grub at the Turkish chow hall. The US is all right. Internet free to 10 GB a week and yes it is FaceTime friendly. They did shut down the morale drive because the new comm major said it’s illegal. Bathrooms at communal and right now everyone O-5 and below have a roommate except CCs. Right now 2 to a room about 8x20 and they are trying to figure out how to get three from what I hear. I believe all the dorms are hardened facilities as well. Never been to the main gym I do know they have an out door CrossFit area and on the FOB there is a gym right next to the current ops area. Daily life seems interesting, winters are cold and shitty with the burning of trash and other stuff for heat.
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, drewpey said:

Yeah called a while back and the earliest I heard was Feb19 which would keep me beyond my normal staff “get out of jail free card.”  I’m also investigating another flying option as well which could also be a quick turn. I may give the -365 guy another ring regardless. 

Cooter

• 2 weeks later...
Just to make sure I'm reading this right...
People are actually volunteering for a 365 to AFG?

That’s what it sounds like. I will say if I didn’t have a wife and children I would probably volunteer for a second year (and probably commit career suicide). I actually am really enjoying it. It’s just rough with a family.
  • Like 1

Bode, PM'd you for current gouge. Any other dudes current in Afghanistan doing this job?

I know there are a couple on the forum who are en-route to theater.

Also I will reply when I can get my message page to work.

Well the MyPers announcement go out today. So I noticed they removed 11U from elligible AFSCs so I'm out for the foreseeable future now. Hillarious to me though that they would rather receive non vols then people eager and willing to go amidst a pilot retention crisis. 

Well if they find someone that's great. The communication just didn't seem that way when they reach out to sq/CC's first and then need to turn to MyPers 2 weeks later. But given the nature of the mission I hope they find people motivated to do it. I don't see it being healthy sending representatives of the USG who are bitter to be there and want nothing to do with the Air Advisor side of it. 

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

I don't see it being healthy sending representatives of the USG who are bitter to be there and want nothing to do with the Air Advisor side of it. 

It has always been thus. 

Which explains a lot actually. 

• Like 1

As a WSO, I'm honestly a little afraid of climbing into an aircraft with an Afghan pilot.  I've heard enough stories about them just throwing up their hands and yelling "Inshallah".  

As a WSO, I'm honestly a little afraid of climbing into an aircraft with an Afghan pilot.  I've heard enough stories about them just throwing up their hands and yelling "Inshallah".  

I wouldn’t worry much. For any coalition to be on board we are required to have a coalition pilot at a set of controls. I’ve flown over 500 hours with the Afghans and have never seen that situation. They tend to have a very conservative mindset when it comes to flying. They carry extra airspeed and land fast because they are so scared of stalling.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...