CSO to Border Patrol

saber4p

Question

Wondering if anyone has any gouge or experience with Border Patrol Aviation. A few google searches haven't given much information as their website isn't user friendly. 

Synopsis: I recently graduated from Air Force UCT as a qualified CSO. Shortly after graduation I came into some mental health problems and its looking like I'll be honorably discharged. So now I'm looking for a different job. 

I'be been looking into different aviation jobs that could use a CSO with not a lot of experience, and it's come down to flight planning or possibly Border Patrol. Pretty interested in their sensor operator positions as it's something I would be qualified to do.

Some of my questions are:

Where are their different air craft located? Could only find information on the South West region. 

What's the difference in an Air Inderdiction Agent(AIA) and Air Enforcment Angent (AEA)? Interdiction looks like strictly pilot, so does that include the sensor positions, or would that be lumped into the AEA? 

Are they only looking for experienced aviators, or would they be interested in a young winged dude looking to grow?

Any information would be awesome and appreciated, thanks all

1 answer to this question

Caveat: I am by no means a SME on this.

- If you're being discharged from the AF for mental health issues (presumably, this also means you were medically grounded by the AF medical machine), you're going to have a difficult time getting an FAA 2nd or 1st Class medical.  Not necessarily impossible, but difficult... especially if you are prescribed antidepressants.  I highly recommend you investigate the FAA's requirements for 2nd and 1st Class medicals, to see if a waiver is a possibility.

- Operating locations

- Straight from the AIA page's "Do You Qualify?" section:

Must have 1500 hours total flight time, with 100 flight hours within the last 12 months, including 250 Pilot-in-Command and 75 hours instrument and 75 night hours (emphasis is theirs, not mine)

The way I'm reading CBP's site, AIAs are the pilots, and AEAs are the crewmembers, door kickers, and shooters.

Edited by JarheadBoom
Format