Physical Fitness related to G-Tolerance

FishBowl

I've tried using the search feature, but have came up dry.

I understand general physical fitness will be beneficial to having an effective AGSM and maintaining a fitness program (beyond the stellar unit PT program) is required. I didn't know if there was any experience with certain types of exercises that could contribute to handling g-forces more effectively.

To me, the un-anointed, the AGSM is a heavy core and lower-body strain, so it would seem that full-body movements would produce the best results (squat, deadlift, standing press, et cetera). I'm a fit dude and have lifted competitively in the past, but am I giving this too much brain power? Should I just keep on keeping on?

Thanks in advance. :beer:

You are in pilot training, they have pubs there for you.  Nothing above the abs if you are serious, jogging mixed with sprints, your G tolerance will go down as you work on it due to beating up the muscles.  Stay hydrated, sleep good, save the coffee and cigs until you get good at AGSM and breathing. There is the summary.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2

I think the consensus is that more core strength and less aerobic fitness. Long distance runners tend to have larger blood vessels in their legs (and lower heart rates/blood pressure) which promotes more pooling of blood. It is also known that shorter individuals theoretically can handle g's better than taller individuals.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's been a while but I was a runner, maxed the fitness test every time I took it.  Did 7 G's in the centrifuge without a G suit and 9 with.  Had to work at it more than the 5 foot, built like a fire plug, 2 pack a day smoker with high blood pressure, however.

It's been a while but I was a runner, maxed the fitness test every time I took it.  Did 7 G's in the centrifuge without a G suit and 9 with.  Had to work at it more than the 5 foot, built like a fire plug, 2 pack a day smoker with high blood pressure, however.

I run twice a year and whenever someone bigger is chasing me... which isn't often.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, HU&W said:

Jump on a trampoline 20 minutes a day while clenching all your muscles and holding your breath.  It'll add up to 2 G's to your strain in just 6 weeks.

I can't tell if this is serious advice or a prank.

Guest LumberjackAxe

The single biggest factor for my g-tolerance is hydration, so I slam a bunch of water in the morning. Of course, then I always run into the fun game of "Did I bring a piddle pack today?"

3 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Bacon. 

Coffee. 

Nicotine. 

Everything that makes you drop dead at age 40 is generally good for g tolerance. 

Of course the best exercise for pulling g's is .... pulling g's

And whiskey. Never forget the whiskey. 

It's really a high-g lifestyle 

10 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

And whiskey. Never forget the whiskey. 

It's really a high-g lifestyle 

Dude... I'm going to kill it then! (minus nicotine) Bacon, coffee and whiskey are the first three lines of my résumé.

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

I can't tell if this is serious advice or a prank.

You're right.  There might be someone that actually tries to follow that plan.  Just to be clear, there's no way to add g's to your strain.

Shack with the hydration.  Haven't found sleep to be a big factor, but everyone's physiology is different.  Avoid alcohol the day prior.

Are you asking for the centrifuge (0/10 would not recommend..)?  Get AFE to get your g suit as tight as you can stand for that.  The new G suit (ATAGS) helps a ton.

Don't run, lift.  I wouldn't sweat it too much as resting g tolerances vary greatly and you won't really know until you're there.  G tolerance also builds with experience.

I've heard an F-35 can sustain well over 3.5g's (at low fuel weights) so make sure you're ready!  Cheers.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2016 at 0:54 AM, billy pilgrim said:

G tolerance also builds with experience.

Personally, I've never pulled G's. BUT my dad was an Army pilot and astronaut candidate, and I have many family, friends, and work colleagues that have flown fighters. The one thing I consistently hear is "it hurts and your body just has to get used to it"... Obviously the fighter guys here know what they're talking about, so I would focus on AGSM, breathing, staying hydrated, and core strength like they said.

I still remember when I was younger my dad bringing home tapes of himself and the other astronaut candidates (or other flying buddies) in the centrifuge. They would all pack into the living room and drink a ton of Jack and Coke and just laugh their asses off. Endless entertainment.

Edited by tk1313

Thanks a lot for the advice and wisdom, dudes.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:54 AM, billy pilgrim said:

Shack with the hydration.  Haven't found sleep to be a big factor, but everyone's physiology is different.  Avoid alcohol the day prior.

Are you asking for the centrifuge (0/10 would not recommend..)?  Get AFE to get your g suit as tight as you can stand for that.  The new G suit (ATAGS) helps a ton.

Don't run, lift.  I wouldn't sweat it too much as resting g tolerances vary greatly and you won't really know until you're there.  G tolerance also builds with experience.

I've heard an F-35 can sustain well over 3.5g's (at low fuel weights) so make sure you're ready!  Cheers.

I'm just asking in general. I figured since I'm going to be in the gym anyway, I might as well ask the guys that have been around. I didn't want to be doing anything that would negatively affect my flying. I'm an older, 10-year enlisted guy that got lucky and got a UPT slot, so I want to crush it 100% and not take this opportunity for granted.

And don't worry, I only run once a year as required by AFI.

Pulling G's itself does not physically hurt in my opinion. For me, 6-7.5G is where I G strain but don't have to put much effort into it. The 7.5 to 9G+ area is where I really feel it and have to really focus on my G strain before laying on the G. I'd say above 8G is where it gets uncomfortable but not necessarily painful, just feels like a lot of pressure I guess.

Trying to move your nugget around under G is where guys get hurt. Don't do it. If you lose sight, big deal, you're going to get gunned but thats better than screwing your neck or back up.

I've lifted my entire life also and after my first exposure to BFM in IFF, I transitioned to a crossfit style workout. I don't follow their programming or do anything I think is stupid but I do spend time working on mobility, heavy barbell movements (think sets of 3-5 reps squats, deads, O-lifts), and conditioning. I think, if you're going to be a fighter pilot, you really need to focus on those 3 things equally to stay healthy in the jet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1