Fair Winds/Following Seas Mr. Hoover

ATIS

4 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Godspeed Mr. Hoover.

Saw his Commander sans functioning engines show many years ago and as a know nothing kid I could tell that was a truly great pilot.

latest?cb=20140626180439

Same thing here, it was about 1979ish for me.

Godspeed Mr Hoover.

Him, Him    :beer:

9 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Godspeed Mr. Hoover.

Saw his Commander sans functioning engines show many years ago and as a know nothing kid I could tell that was a truly great pilot.

His demos in the Saberliner were quite a sight to see too.

Him Him :beer:  Mr. Hoover was the best pilot there ever was and also a true class act.  What was memorable to me was when Chuck Yeager was speaking at Oshkosh a couple years ago and said that Bob Hoover is a better pilot, and that he (Yeager) just had good timing and an engineering degree so got to break the speed of sound first.  A rare humble moment from Yeager from someone who had flown with him as a test pilot.   

• Upvote 1

RIP Mr. Hoover    :beer::beer::beer:

My old boss was good friends with Mr. Hoover (as well as being one of his trusted mechanics).  On several occasions at KTOA, I was privileged enough to pump 100LL into Ole Yeller.  This might seem insignificant to some folks, but it was a huge deal to us that knew about his accomplishments. 

Edited to add:  We "raced" our fuel trucks to Ole Yeller in order to pump gas for him.  That's how big of a deal it was.

Edited by panchbarnes
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I attended Mr Hoover's Memorial at Van Nuys airport yesterday. It was an epic event, attended by much of the aviation illuminati. Very well done. Many speakers, but they all limited their time on the mic to about 2-3 minutes. 

I was particularly impressed by the flyover:

1st pass was a Sabreliner with two Thunderbirds on each wing, and a Canadian Snowbird in the slot. They were tight.

2nd was F-22 with two F-86s on the wing.

3rd was a four-ship of WWII warbirds, including Ole Yeller.  

I was proud of the AF for making it happen.  Sometimes, they get it right and this was one of those times.  Brig Gen Jeannie Leavitt was there to represent.  I was surprised I saw no Navy presence.  

It was a tremendous sendoff to a great man.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 3