Mil competency add-ons before getting winged

SPAWNmaster

I'm in the middle of pilot training and have some downtime before my Phase 3 starts. What I'd like to do is do the Mil Comp commercial/instrument test solely to get my instrument add on so I can enjoy instrument flying during my down-time. However I am about 30 hours shy of the 200hr commercial requirement. The Part 61 verbage on mil comp requirements states that you need to have an instrument check and documentation of qualification in a military aircraft (e.g. T6 time) but makes no distinction on how to apply the equivalency testing towards only one rating (e.g. just the IR add on versus commercial/instrument simultaneously). I spoke to Sheppard Air but they wouldn't give me a straight answer and said to check with the FSDO. Waiting on FSDO response (I have never been surprised by a speedy response from the FAA) and hoping to get clarification.

So ultimately the question is, can I take the commercial-instrument mil comp just to get the IR add on to my private, being that I am short of the commercial civilian hour requirement?

No. 

While you have passed the instrument check, there are two problems (notwithstanding your lack of hours):

1. You are not a military pilot. You are a student. No wings, not qualified.

2. Having T-6 time does not mean you are T-6 qualified. Having a T-6 Form 8 would show you are qualified. 

Purely my opinion. Call your FSDO for the answer that matters. 

Or just wait and get your wings. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

Adding on that you are not a military pilot yet, legally.

Literally thousands of students have done this before you. Upon graduation, you will get the appropriate paperwork to take to the FSDO (along with your Mil Comp exam certificate.)

Let the process play out, moving at the speed of government.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

No. 

While you have passed the instrument check, there are two problems (notwithstanding your lack of hours):

1. You are not a military pilot. You are a student. No wings, not qualified.

2. Having T-6 time does not mean you are T-6 qualified. Having a T-6 Form 8 would show you are qualified. 

Purely my opinion. Call your FSDO for the answer that matters. 

Or just wait and get your wings. 

This is the clarity I was looking for. Thanks! Makes sense all around...

Was just hoping to use new skills during downtime....but guess I'll have to sit tight....

Edited by SPAWNmaster

Correct me if I'm off but doesn't something say that you can't pursue additional ratings while you're in UPT?  You can fly just not pursue extra things.

Yep, here ya go. From the "how to run pilot training" reg AETCI 36-2605v4

6.14. Civilian Flight Training. To maintain the integrity of the AETC training system, students rated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) (private pilot, commercial pilot, etc.) may fly civilian aircraft once they enter into UPT, but they may not pursue additional ratings or qualifications. Students not rated by the FAA will not fly civilian aircraft after entering into UPT.

*edited to update proper title of the reg

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Yep, here ya go. From the "how to run pilot training" reg AETCI 36-2605v4

6.14. Civilian Flight Training. To maintain the integrity of the AETC training system, students rated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) (private pilot, commercial pilot, etc.) may fly civilian aircraft once they enter into UPT, but they may not pursue additional ratings or qualifications. Students not rated by the FAA will not fly civilian aircraft after entering into UPT.

*edited to update proper title of the reg

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Appreciate the info. I just figured since I'm guard if I came off orders during these months off that I could get some good civilian flying in just for fun. Sounds like that's not possible as far as trying for the add-on though.

10 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

Appreciate the info. I just figured since I'm guard if I came off orders during these months off that I could get some good civilian flying in just for fun. Sounds like that's not possible as far as trying for the add-on though.

I realize that things may have changed in the years since I went to UPT, but how is that you have "months off" between phases?

Mrs. Spoo pointed out that the grays will soon overtake the brown and that I may be starting to thin a bit on top. Not a good week. 

Edited by Spoo

On 10/25/2016 at 4:09 PM, Spoo said:

Mrs. Spoo pointed out that the grays will soon overtake the brown and that I may be starting to thin a bit on top. Not a good week. 

My dad always told me you wait 'til she's forty, then trade her for 2 twenties.

19 hours ago, pawnman said:

My dad always told me you wait 'til she's forty, then trade her for 2 twenties.

I tried that line on my wife back when I was forty and she told me I was not wired for 220...

Going on married year 37 now and not broke.

• Upvote 4