Jump to content
HuggyU2

NFL Ratings are Way Down

Recommended Posts

Define it and give solutions to the problem.  I'm betting it sounds like a plank of the democratic/socialist parties.  For extra points don't use the words "social justice"

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on the whole thing from a NFL fans perspective. I'm grumpy old Crew Chief/A&P who is tired of constantly being brow beat every time I have a opposing view from the left. The term racist and bigot have lost all meaning in today's debate since it is used by weak minds who don't have a decent counterpoint. 

 So I turn on the TV on a Sunday afternoon to watch some football. I used to play in High School and USAFE in the 80's when every base fielded a tackle football team, great times.  I just want to watch football and not be lectured by guys who have always been on the wrong side of a conversation with a cop. I have been pulled over  for your average traffic infraction but never had a bad encounter, is it because I'm white or is it I just cooperated and said I brain farted.  The NFL is entertainment short and simple, I want to root for my team or watch some well played games. Most of the times now even without the kneel downs the product is just not good with the stoppages of play, constant penalties and crass advertising. Now you got black players whooping it up when they destroy a white player, I didn't put up with it on active duty and sure don't want to see on my TV.  Now if these players are serious they need some skin in game away from the playing field, some give back with their foundations but most these guys could start setting the example by being decent fathers, husbands and friends and stop acting like thugs between Sundays. Start incentives for good behavior for inner city kids who get good grades and come to games as their guests etc.  Now get off my grass.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a ROTC instructor in the late 90s that played football in USAFE during the 80s, he said it was the best gig around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Define it and give solutions to the problem.  I'm betting it sounds like a plank of the democratic/socialist parties.  For extra points don't use the words "social justice"

 

Or "Institutional oppression"... Impossible to disprove, definitely exists to some extent (which can be blown out of proportion because you can't disprove it), and the added bonus of being called fascist if you question its reach and prefer to take an approach based on individual complaints rather than saying that (1) everyone in one group is oppressed and (2) everyone who isn't oppressed is basically aiding the oppressors and should be punished. Collectivism 101

You don't have to agree with what Trump said to question the kneeling.

Edited by tk1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm switching to NASCAR, as much as I'm not into it.  Sports are an escape for a couple hours a week and I don't want to be preached to watching the NFL.  Again, the court jesters are trying to provide an opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled my NFL Ticket today. 

ATT/Directv are granting waivers if you cite the player protest as a reason.  The agent asked me why I wanted to cancel and I told him I was a veteran and opposed to the players protesting during the National Anthem, he actually replied "Sir we are not allowed to talk politics on the phone but WE AGREE WITH YOU, your NFL Ticket is cancelled and we are processing a refund, thank you for your service!"

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck that, I'll watch hockey. Those guys stand for the national anthem and until recently most of them were Canadian. Plus, this way I still get to watch paid professionals get decleated (de-skated?) and square off like boxers from the early 1900s.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Cancelled my NFL Ticket today. 

ATT/Directv are granting waivers if you cite the player protest as a reason.  The agent asked me why I wanted to cancel and I told him I was a veteran and opposed to the players protesting during the National Anthem, he actually replied "Sir we are not allowed to talk politics on the phone but WE AGREE WITH YOU, your NFL Ticket is cancelled and we are processing a refund, thank you for your service!"

 

You're telling me some guy in India named "Jim" gives a shit about players not standing during the Anthem?

This makes me hate DirectTV a little less. Maybe I'll skip threatening to cancel service when I get the bill next month.  No promises for November though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note...

As a SWA guy, I personally (among others from various work groups with whom I've spoken) would like to see the company pull the plug on its sponsorship of the NFL.  Unfortunately, I don't think Kelly and crew are ready to test that whole risk/reward scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Prosuper said:

My take on the whole thing from a NFL fans perspective. I'm grumpy old Crew Chief/A&P who is tired of constantly being brow beat every time I have a opposing view from the left. The term racist and bigot have lost all meaning in today's debate since it is used by weak minds who don't have a decent counterpoint. 

 So I turn on the TV on a Sunday afternoon to watch some football. I used to play in High School and USAFE in the 80's when every base fielded a tackle football team, great times.  I just want to watch football and not be lectured by guys who have always been on the wrong side of a conversation with a cop. I have been pulled over  for your average traffic infraction but never had a bad encounter, is it because I'm white or is it I just cooperated and said I brain farted.  The NFL is entertainment short and simple, I want to root for my team or watch some well played games. Most of the times now even without the kneel downs the product is just not good with the stoppages of play, constant penalties and crass advertising. Now you got black players whooping it up when they destroy a white player, I didn't put up with it on active duty and sure don't want to see on my TV.  Now if these players are serious they need some skin in game away from the playing field, some give back with their foundations but most these guys could start setting the example by being decent fathers, husbands and friends and stop acting like thugs between Sundays. Start incentives for good behavior for inner city kids who get good grades and come to games as their guests etc.  Now get off my grass.

 

100% agree. I’m tired of being lectured to by the left.  Quit telling us this is about “racial inequality.”  It is about attention.  It is about a bunch of spoilt, whiney, overpaid millionaires yearning for attention because they know they are inadequate.  

Racism does exist, a lot of blacks are oppressed; so if that bothers you - go mentor youths at an inner city school, go coach at said school, start a scholarship, etc.  Kneeling during the flag? Sorry, not buying the racial inequalities arguement. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer. Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/hard-data-hollow-protests-15458.html

I promise you, if the left keeps up these straw man protests, The Donald gets 8 years. And what comes after him is going to make liberals dream of the days when Ted Cruz was their biggest fear.

On the plus side, NFL started are about the worst possible role models for American youth, so I hope they keep it up long enough to really sink the NFL for good. They won't, of course. Kaepernick got very quiet as soon as his career seemed imperiled, the others will declare "mission accomplished" and stand when they see their sponsorship deals dry up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:



On the plus side, NFL started are about the worst possible role models for American youth, so I hope they keep it up long enough to really sink the NFL for good. They won't, of course. Kaepernick got very quiet as soon as his career seemed imperiled, the others will declare "mission accomplished" and stand when they see their sponsorship deals dry up.

Agree 100%. While they may not care a group of fans burned/trashed/shred jerseys/posters/whatever those items represent money already in the bank.  But once the big dollar sponsors DirectTV etc... start to go away, that'll have em' singing a different tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2017 at 7:21 PM, Prosuper said:

 USAFE in the 80's when every base fielded a tackle football team, great times.    Now get off my grass.

 

Ahhh game day at Bitburg 1986... complete with cheerleaders, tailgate parties and beer!  Fun, fun.  Only downside to USAFE football was losing flightline guys "TDY" to the gym for months at a time during the season. Heard many a rumor that Wing Kings would trade players like the NFL, I guess winning the USAFE Trophy (or whatever it was called) was a big deal on their OER.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stitch said:

Ahhh game day at Bitburg 1986... complete with cheerleaders, tailgate parties and beer!  Fun, fun.  Only downside to USAFE football was losing flightline guys "TDY" to the gym for months at a time during the season. Heard many a rumor that Wing Kings would trade players like the NFL, I guess winning the USAFE Trophy (or whatever it was called) was a big deal on their OER.  

I would like this Air Force back please.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stitch said:

Ahhh game day at Bitburg 1986... complete with cheerleaders, tailgate parties and beer!  Fun, fun.  Only downside to USAFE football was losing flightline guys "TDY" to the gym for months at a time during the season. Heard many a rumor that Wing Kings would trade players like the NFL, I guess winning the USAFE Trophy (or whatever it was called) was a big deal on their OER.  

Wing Kings were laying serious cash down on bets with other Wing Kings. At a newcomers brief at Mildenhall the Wing CC gave his spiel then told me to stand up and asked if I ever played. Next thing I know I'm suited in pads for practice that evening, I loved it. I heard the German bases were raiding Army barracks for players, it seemed the the German bases had huge O and D lines than the UK bases. It wasn't fair that Woodbridge Bentwaters had Chad Henning suiting up for them. Did that guy even fit in a A-10.

 

Edited by Prosuper
additional info
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 1:07 PM, dream big said:

Racism does exist, a lot of blacks are oppressed;

Can you give a specific example of this "oppression" in the United States?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see how many really care about making a political statement when the Cowboys threatened to fire anyone who knelt.  All stood.  Either everyone on that team feels very different than the rest of the NFL, or the NFL players in general really don't believe in whatever it is they're 'protesting'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like most of the teams are giving up the protest too. I’m wondering if this had anything to do with the outrage from the fans...?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hacker said:

Can you give a specific example of this "oppression" in the United States?

I misspoke, I shouldn’t have said “a lot of blacks are oppressed.”  I don’t think there is a single law in America that gives Black people a disadvantage.  All in all I really think we are one of the most accepting countries having been around a few.

What I meant to convey is that there is some racism (as there is anywhere in the world) and a lot black folks from a young age tend to come from disadvantaged background compared to other races - and were the NFL players actually concerned about this, there are many other venues to go out and fix this instead of kneeling like a bunch of cry babies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nope, NFL pocketbooks 

Yep. Exactly! Funny how money just made the outrage of black oppression magically disappear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Azimuth said:

No one on this side ever argued that standing for the anthem makes you a patriot, much like me shaking your hand when you offer a handshake doesn’t necessarily make me a nice person; but were I to swat it away then I’d be kind of a douche. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 7:12 PM, dream big said:

What I meant to convey is that there is some racism (as there is anywhere in the world) and a lot black folks from a young age tend to come from disadvantaged background compared to other races

Race is neither an analog for culture nor economic status, FWIW.

There are people from every race that have a "disadvantaged background".  No race has the market cornered in western society on "advantage" or "disadvantage", because race is a meaningless quality in a meritocracy.

Nonetheless, even when speaking of economic or social status, "equality" doesn't mean "equity."  We don't have equity, nor in a society that values both individual liberty, egalitarianism, and personal responsibility do we desire such a thing.  It is the "land of equal opportunity", not the land of "equal outcomes".

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×