NFL Ratings are Way Down

HuggyU2

8 hours ago, Mark1 said:

Instead, most here would rather just flash their CAC to the DHS agent at the illegal inland "border" checkpoint in order to get hurried along.  Not even willing to slightly inconvenience themselves to avoid trampling all over the document they purportedly volunteered to give their life for.

PYB is back?  Didn't the SCOTUS deny your appeal in this case earlier this year?  

• Upvote 1

Whoever he is, he's probably full of shit.  I've been through border patrol internal checkpoints about 50 times and never been asked to show ID.  I get asked "Are you a US citizen?" and reply "Yes."  Then I'm on my way.  I offered my ID the first time and they didn't want to see it.  I'd like to see this sort of thing go away.  So I comply with the law and support political candidates who want to change it.  This "AM I BEING DETAINED?!" nonsense helps no-one and solves nothing.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

Whoever he is, he's probably full of shit.  I've been through border patrol internal checkpoints about 50 times and never been asked to show ID.  I get asked "Are you a US citizen?" and reply "Yes."  Then I'm on my way.  I offered my ID the first time and they didn't want to see it.  I'd like to see this sort of thing go away.  So I comply with the law and support political candidates who want to change it.  This "AM I BEING DETAINED?!" nonsense helps no-one and solves nothing.

Absolutely correct.  If you're really bored, you can watch the video on youtube.  BL, he sued the border patrol agents who stopped him for 34 minutes, but he was found in federal court to have caused his own delay by acting abnormally uncooperative.  He was an active troll on this site, going by numerous aliases over a few years.

Here's a link to the case.http://www.law360.com/articles/759666/air-force-officer-extended-border-patrol-stop-justices-told

Here's the video.

8 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Pretty sure its him.  And I'm no commie, I just want to be left alone.  You've had some good points in the past, but your methods aren't going to get anyone anywhere.  

It's a witch!!!!  

I'm pretty sure I had been around for years under this handle before PYB showed up, was booted, and then continued for months to return under aliases.  To have a sleeper account with more pedigree than his original "known" account sitting around posting idly for years just to wait for the day he could pounce on an NFL ratings thread...I knew that guy was bright, but that's just god damn genius I tell ya.

6 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

The reference to flashing a CAC at inland border checkpoints is specific to a thread matmacwc and I both posted multiple times in.  I gave that hypothetical in particular because I thought it might ring a bell with him, not because it's a crusade of mine.  But since we're on the topic...if you want them to go away, don't bother with the political candidates.  Do your part to "obstruct" them within the law, and if everybody else follows suit, there'd be a 30 mile backup on the highway on days one and two, and on day three they'd be gone after the citizen outrage over the delays.  They persist precisely because the majority just comply (read: bend over and take it) and "law enforcement" and state/local officials can deflect the noise from a vocal minority.

The Supreme Court has ruled them lawful checkpoints (although I'd take issue with the ruling, it's a conversation for another time), but nothing trumps your 4th and 5th Amendment rights.  They can stop you (briefly), and they can ask you a question, but you're under no obligation to respond.  And thanks to the Constitution, you can't be compelled to do so.  

Now of course, if you're going to take that tact you need to study the law beforehand, because anybody failing to assume the position for DHS to ram it in, is immediately going to get the full business.  You're going to have to refuse, and know that you're lawfully able to do so, through all manner of lies and threats and directives to do things that you're not compelled to do.  All under threat of being put in a cage if you fail to do so.  Not because they actually think you're an illegal with 18lbs of coke stuffed up his ass, but because they're playing a game that they were taught to play at the Academy, and you're not following the script.  It's their job to re-establish dominance and get you back on script...and we're back to that problem of the way "law enforcement" serves and protects in this country.

There's another 4 paragraphs for you.

Who said you couldn't be polite?  You don't have to be a dick in asserting your rights.  Sure, no matter how polite you are the cop will take it as a challenge to their "authority" (rather than a beautiful application of the document they also swear an oath to), and they will needlessly escalate the situation in response to it, but that's not on you.

I saw it every day from my coworkers in the time before I realized that the profession would not allow me to protect and serve as I envisioned it would.  A cop who has that as their goal (and stays true to it) literally cannot survive in today's law enforcement community.

And yes, they're out to get you.  Any cop who is honest will tell you the same.  Don't ever talk to the media.  Don't ever talk to the cops.  That is, until there is a wholesale movement towards actually being public servants.

Edited by Mark1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Mark1 said:

There's another 4 paragraphs for you.

One of the best pieces of advice my English teacher (who had a Master's degree from Cambridge) ever told me was to NEVER use more words than necessary to get your point across. I would've gladly taken a "Go fvck yourself, tk" over the walls of text you've been dishing out. I seriously have no idea what you're point is, or even how it remotely relates to Kaepernick being a hypocritical dipshit (reference the above post for proof - Thanks Huggy).

Guest ThatGuy

Just like the election, the media isn't listening to the people. Its the "economy stupid." Are the wages up for the middle and lower class? According to Forbes, NFL Sunday Ticket Max is about $360. I have DirecTV (AT&T),  the NFL is alienating people who want to stream games or watch them on cable by allowing one company to have a monopoly on viewing the games. Fans are limited to local stations showing games you might not want to see at all. Especially if you live in a state where your team is in a different state. Make it easier for fans to see their favorite teams. Shouldn't require an NFL Sunday Ticket subscription. I have paid for PPV UFC fights on YouTube where the quality was really good while TDY. 

I would never have a DirecTV subscription if I could watch my favorite team on my SmarTV with an app, on YouTube, or via cable. Who can afford to pay DirecTV all that money if your wages hasnt increased in years? DirecTV is hemorrhaging money on NFL Sunday Ticket because they paid something like a billion dollars to the NFL for the sole rights until 2020 I believe. The NFL is doing what doomed boxing. Big fights of newcomers not being available on local stations, could only watch fights on cable, and PPV fights costing a considerable amount of money. 

I like to let the games run for 30 minutes on the DVR before I start watching so I can fast forward through all the commercials. 

Bottom line, what elderly NFL fan, college student, or someone on a lower income can afford $360 for football? You want to watch games on the go you need the NFL Sunday Ticket app which blows unless you have a lot of bandwidth or you need to be on Verizon. The NFL has lost touch. Money is their bottom line.

Edited by ThatGuy

1 hour ago, ThatGuy said:

Bottom line, what elderly NFL fan, college student, or someone on a lower income can afford $360 for football? You want to watch games on the go you need the NFL Sunday Ticket app which blows unless you have a lot of bandwidth or you need to be on Verizon. The NFL has lost touch. Money is their bottom line.

This is the same NFL that was a 501(c)6 non-profit for forever, raking in revenue without paying taxes. 

In order to keep their non-profit status, all 501(c) groups have to file a Form 990 every year. That form requires that you list the revenue, expenses and the income/holdings of all executive staff and personnel. In 2015 (the final full year of the NFL's Non-Profit Status) they made $619,557,237 in revenue (after paying players). Not a dime paid in taxes. How about ol' Roger Goodell? He made $34 million in 2015 (after public outrage that he made $44 million in 2014). 

In fairness, they did stop being a non-profit in 2015. Why would they do that? Sure, they'll pay taxes... but they won't have to report those numbers anymore. Lord only knows what Goodell is making now. 

Here's their final 990 form: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/131/131922622/131922622_201503_990O.pdf

News article on N-P status: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/04/28/the-nfl-is-dropping-its-tax-exempt-status-why-that-ends-up-helping-them-out/

TL;DR... When you turn a sport into nothing but another money-hungry corporation, the quality suffers. I can't watch the NFL, Formula 1 or NBA anymore. That leaves the MLB Playoffs, PGA Tour and... College Sports?

Edited by Kiloalpha

• 2 weeks later...

Well... if Kaepernick is ultimately responsible for the death of Castro because of this, then I'll give him some credit. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3973344/Curse-Kaepernick-Controversial-quarterback-defends-wearing-Fidel-Castro-t-shirt-HOURS-Cuban-leader-s-death-announced.html

Maybe Colin can now teach us about Che Guevara's humanitarian brilliance. 

Moron. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

Kaep getting donkey punched like the nation wants... nay NEEDS. Thank you for your service Miami Dolphins defense. 

Kaep Ragadoll

EDIT:  I just can't stop watching it. 

He's spent so much time on his knees it's not surprising that he was finally introduced to the ground by the good gents from Miami. Much respect to the Miami fans for booing his sorry ass off the field, too. Apparently Miami doesn't like Castro as much as Colin (GEE I WONDER WHY)....

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

Kaeppernick is an idiot and exhibit A of why the BLM is doomed to fail just like the Occupy Wall Street movement fizzled out. You need an organizational structure and a charismatic leader who can be the focal point of the cause. If you have random idiots claiming to speak for the organization sending white people to the back of the protest or have a QB protesting then refusing to vote or engage the public/lawmakers in a meaningful way the entire organization loses any shred of credibility. The media will look for what plays best and of course the idiots come out of the woodwork with no coherent theme, strategy or media experience and it get ugly.

If the NFL wants to bring viewer numbers back they need to cut down on the tv breaks. Driving down the field and call a timeout? Commercial break. 2 minute warning? Commercial break. Score a touchdown and it gets reviewed? Take a break. Kick the extra point? Take a break. After the kickoff? Take a break. It's insane and borderline criminal for any poor bastard watching the game on AFN. Thats why I loved watching soccer at the deid, no commercial breaks means less stupid commercials about the code of conduct or what the PA folks at Rammstein are doing this week. The arbitrary suspensions and horrible officiating doesn't help either. If viewer num bers held during a murderer, a rapist and a dog fighter taking the field I don't think enough people care about 2-3 players not standing. Hell thousands of fans in the same stadium won't even take their hat off during the national anthem and nobody says anything about them.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

As many of y'all know, I'm involved in the airshow industry.  This photo is the hangar of the Texas Flying Legends, which has a great collection of flying aircraft:  Mustang, Spitfire, Warhawk, Mitchell, Zero, and more.  

The collection's owner, Bruce is a great American, and the pilots and mechanics are just top-shelf folks. Their customized hangar is also one of the coolest places on any flightline.  If you've been cross-country to Ellington (KEFD), maybe you've seen it.  

It seems a lot of the NFL teams, staff, bigwigs, and others will be using KEFD for the Super Bowl, and Texas Flying Legends wanted to make sure those players, owners, and NFL employees knew where TFL "stands" on the issue of Kaepernick and others. 

16427503_1086782194767447_1096194798668644562_n.jpg

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 15

15 minutes ago, Fug said:

Strong work by FOX Sports.  NLF leadership may want to take notes.

A not-so-subtle way of saying, "Your move, Kaepernick! If your response is anything like your football skills, we plan to take a bigger chunk out of your reputation than your abysmal quarterbacking already has."

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...