NFL Ratings are Way Down

HuggyU2

2 hours ago, Tank said:

Nothing beats this flyover.  
Too bad the flight lead took the hit so that the rest of the formation was spared...

I guess if by spared you mean they all had CC directed Q3s to include a brand new FAIP sitting in one of the PITs, then yeah good on #1 for putting together a nice flyover as his fini before leaving AD.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:43 PM, Pooter said:

Flyovers are excellent training and I don't care who you are or what you fly.  Simply being able to be at a specific place at a specific time has more real world combat implications than any BFM larping you'd rather be doing.

That's exactly what BFM is. Putting yourself in the precise piece of sky at a specific time in relation to another aircraft in order to employ weapon(s).

TOT's are easy.

3 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

I guess if by spared you mean they all had CC directed Q3s to include a brand new FAIP sitting in one of the PITs, then yeah good on #1 for putting together a nice flyover as his fini before leaving AD.

CC directed Q3’s are better than an FEB and losing your wings...

You are correct though, sucks that 2-4 received anything at all considering they were following 1.

Edited by Tank

Anyone can scoff doing flyovers if you want. 
[/url]  

Damn Huggy, did you follow the concrete arrows along your XC route? My grandad told me about them.

All kidding aside, I’ve been on f-ed up flyovers. Even porked one myself (I’ll blame the anthem singer).

But I’ll stand by my argument that nailing a TOT has very little training value for fighters in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 11/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, Pooter said:

Flyovers are excellent training and I don't care who you are or what you fly.  Simply being able to be at a specific place at a specific time has more real world combat implications than any BFM larping you'd rather be doing.

Every day I hit the start of my airspace time at the entry point I'm at a specific place at a specific time.

7 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

TOT's are easy.

Sure they are.  Here's an easy flyover by some of your Hornet buddies using GPS, INS, and all sorts of cool fighter shit... and still over 10 seconds late.  

But at least they get style points for going slower than I can do in a Cirrus.  

OBTW, they both got FENAB'd (FEB, in AF speak) and never flew Navy jets again.  The guy I know fortunately landed on his feet and has a great flying gig.  The other guy got a seriously bad deal, and I don't know what happened to him after the Navy.  

Edited by HuggyU2

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

All kidding aside, I’ve been on f-ed up flyovers. Even porked one myself (I’ll blame the anthem singer).

As an airshow announcer, I've got a fool-proof method for ensuring the flyovers are on time at my airshows.  It's so easy, even a fighter pilot can hit the TOT.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Sure they are.  Here's an easy flyover by some of your Hornet buddies using GPS, INS, and all sorts of cool fighter shit... and still over 10 seconds late.  

OBTW, they both got FENAB'd (FEB, in AF speak) and never flew Navy jets again.  The guy I know fortunately landed on his feet and has a great flying gig.  The other guy got a seriously bad deal, and I don't know what happened to him after the Navy.  

I can't watch the video because I'm on NIPR but being given a TOT and nailing it is different than trying to guess when a performer is going to take the stage, how long she'll protract portions of the song, etc... There are variables that the pilots have no control over. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

...being given a TOT and nailing it is different than trying to guess when a performer is going to take the stage, how long she'll protract portions of the song...

Thank you!  You've made my point.  "These are different", and the mission planning can bring in other factors that you won't encounter in Afghanistan.  To include not having GPS coordinates for a flyover.  

Even if you're a shit-hot bomb dropper, you'll probably never drop a bomb in LAX's Class B Airspace... but you will need to account for some other things during the multitude of phone calls you'll have with SoCal approach if you're going to do a flyover without getting violated.  

18 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Did they get FENAB for doing the flyby with their gear down?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Did they get FENAB for doing the flyby with their gear down?

They were too low (I just reviewed the video). I remember talking about it with fellow aviators. Unfortunately you can't be a fighter pilot anymore. 

We were told we couldn't come in for the break when we were flying missions out of Isa Air Base because they were 8 hours long and leadership thought we would be too tired to handle the 3Gs and it wouldn't be safe. I was the only PMCF qual'd pilot on AM crew so I took a jet from maintenance, flew overhead doing the required check profiles for 30 minutes, came in for the break and was subsequently grounded. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, VMFA187 said:

They were too low (I just reviewed the video). I remember talking about it with fellow aviators. Unfortunately you can't be a fighter pilot anymore. 

We were told we couldn't come in for the break when we were flying missions out of Isa Air Base because they were 8 hours long and leadership thought we would be too tired to handle the 3Gs and it wouldn't be safe. I was the only PMCF qual'd pilot on AM crew so I took a jet from maintenance, flew overhead doing the required check profiles for 30 minutes, came in for the break and was subsequently grounded. 

You took them at their word? I remember making that mistake too.

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Better timing control than some jets I've seen.  

Prozac, are you saying that's Doc Fogelsong?

Don’t we have a kitty here somewhere that requires a donation when you say that name out loud? I hope you at least spit on the floor after typing that. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, 17D_guy said:

here's another reason ratings are down - https://nflbite.com/

Free football.  That's your cyber (or pirate) tip of today.  Also, have an add blocker installed.  You can do it on mobile as well if you're using Firefox.

I would never confirm this works, but when your tv provider and the company that owns the local channel don’t  get along...it’s nice to have recipes. 

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

I would never confirm this works, but when your tv provider and the company that owns the local channel don’t  get along...it’s nice to have recipes. 

It's making me fat.