NFL Ratings are Way Down

HuggyU2

47 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

He may have walked out but the ticket was still paid for...think the NFL cares?

Was it?  Most of these are comped tix. I would be surprised if anyone paid for them. They were on a suite, not in the stands. At least the local pro teams here provide plenty of comps. 

I don’t understand how people don’t understand protesting “white police brutality” during a moment of silence for a slain police officer is inappropriate...

On 10/9/2017 at 2:16 AM, tac airlifter said:

This is a hoax?

I’m slow to the discussion here, so im seriously asking.

Your comment was made on 9/29 - when at the time Jerry Jones had made no statement and was debunked as a hoax. It wasn't until October 9th that he had came out and said players would "sit". Also notice you said fired... which is what the hoax said. He never said anything like that, and in fact I believe he lead his team in a kneel down to show solidarity with those who had been protesting.

So on 9/29- when you made your comment- there was a hoax saying Jerry Jones was going to fire those who knelt. He then lead his team in kneeling (reference your own article) and remarked he never said such a thing. It wasn't until VP Pence left the game that he came out with a policy that those who knelt would sit during the game.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Your comment was made on 9/29 - when at the time Jerry Jones had made no statement and was debunked as a hoax. It wasn't until October 9th that he had came out and said players would "sit". Also notice you said fired... which is what the hoax said. He never said anything like that, and in fact I believe he lead his team in a kneel down to show solidarity with those who had been protesting.

So on 9/29- when you made your comment- there was a hoax saying Jerry Jones was going to fire those who knelt. He then lead his team in kneeling (reference your own article) and remarked he never said such a thing. It wasn't until VP Pence left the game that he came out with a policy that those who knelt would sit during the game.

What comment did I make on 9/29?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

I believe it was something along the lines of "And the ratings sure as hell aren't down because of anything to do with players making fools of themselves while 'disrespecting' the National Anthem"...but I could be wrong.

What does your link have to do with ratings, again?  I read the story and didn't see any mention of it, so then I searched the page for the term "rating" just in case you were referencing something in the toxic wasteland that is the comments section.  That returned nothing.  Very confusing.

But I'll go ahead and admit that you certainly nailed me with that one.  Well done.

9 hours ago, Mark1 said:

I believe it was something along the lines of "And the ratings sure as hell aren't down because of anything to do with players making fools of themselves while 'disrespecting' the National Anthem"...but I could be wrong.

What does your link have to do with ratings, again?  I read the story and didn't see any mention of it, so then I searched the page for the term "rating" just in case you were referencing something in the toxic wasteland that is the comments section.  That returned nothing.  Very confusing.

But I'll go ahead and admit that you certainly nailed me with that one.  Well done.

So you honestly believe that the recent rule change has nothing do with decreased viewership?

Because the NFL doesn't make decisions based off money...and ratings don't equate to money.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark1 said:

What does your link have to do with ratings, again? 

Mark1,

Goddell is motivated by profit.  

For him to make such a controversial decision against so many players would imply that the NFL's data shows a downturn.  It might be pre-season sales are way down; merchandising is plummeting; etc...

I'm no NFL business analyst, and my logic is probably flawed.  Why do you believe the NFL has done this?

Oh... and let the NFL fine the teams all they want.  It means nothing, since the measly fines can be made up by adding $.069 to the price of every ticket.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HeloDude said:

So you honestly believe that the recent rule change has nothing do with decreased viewership?

Because the NFL doesn't make decisions based off money...and ratings don't equate to money.  

If you want to assert a cause-effect relationship you're going to have to explain why the marked decline in NFL viewership began in 2015, before any of this nonsense, and why there was no statistically significant change to the rate of decline surrounding the referenced anthem displays.  Clairvoyant fans who saw it coming 2 years ahead of time?

I started to turn this into a 2-page response with charts and numbers and shit, but it's just not worth my time.  When you can show a meaningful relationship between the two with p-values and confidence intervals, let me know.  Until then I'm going to draw obvious conclusions from actual data as opposed to an ardent campaign on the part of Fox News to spark outrage, thus driving their ratings and ad revenue up, by shoehorning a tired narrative onto a target of opportunity under the guise of "news".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mark1 said:

If you want to assert a cause-effect relationship you're going to have to explain why the marked decline in NFL viewership began in 2015, before any of this nonsense, and why there was no statistically significant change to the rate of decline surrounding the referenced anthem displays.  Clairvoyant fans who saw it coming 2 years ahead of time?

I started to turn this into a 2-page response with charts and numbers and shit, but it's just not worth my time.  When you can show a meaningful relationship between the two with p-values and confidence intervals, let me know.  Until then I'm going to draw obvious conclusions from actual data as opposed to an ardent campaign on the part of Fox News to spark outrage, thus driving their ratings and ad revenue up, by shoehorning a tired narrative onto a target of opportunity under the guise of "news".

Yeah...why would the NFL ever make profit-driven decisions.  That's just stupid...because Fox News, or something.

Oh, and according to link below 2015 was the highest viewership on record.  So why did you say the decline began in 2015?

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-faced-steeper-declines-in-2017-2018-1

Edited by HeloDude

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

Yeah...why would the NFL ever make profit-driven decisions.  That's just stupid...because Fox News, or something.

Oh, and according to link below 2015 was the highest viewership on record.  So why did you say the decline began in 2015?

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-faced-steeper-declines-in-2017-2018-1

You know what happens after something peaks, literally by definition?  It declines.  That's why I said the decline started in 2015, which you can see if you look at year over year viewership numbers by week rather than an entire season.  Regardless, if you use the seasonal numbers they still indicate the decline began with the 2016 season.  Interesting that you glossed over that in order to point out where I'm wrong because it doesn't fit into your story.

IF there's no movement on widespread state sanctioned gambling on NFL games in the next 4 months then we'll be able to test your theory.  Ratings will be back at historical highs for the 2018 season as all the people who abandoned the games over Anthem protests (including the clairvoyant ones who stopped watching 2 years early) return in droves to the game they love so dearly, but sacrificed on principle. 

Either that, or it will become clear that the declines in NFL viewership are predominantly explained by the same forces that have caused a general decline in viewership across all major sports (don't bother pointing to outliers; it doesn't change this fact).

My gut tells me that even if the gambling variable is developed before the 2018 season, it won't overcome the downward pressure.  However on that issue, and that issue alone, I'm guessing and could be wrong.

• 2 months later...

I believe that my generation ,born 1963, are no longer enamored by the current generation of players. Maybe its because of today's social media and 24 hr news cycle, a player gets caught beating up his wife or committing a felony makes it hard to root for these guys on Sunday. For every Tim Tebow there are 20 Ray Carruths, the guy who murdered his pregnant girlfriend. Still love to watch the High Schools and college which still plays the game at its purest level. My favorite players were guys like Walter Payton, who even though played on some horrible teams they still gave us 100%. 

Todays generation grew up with much more choices for their entertainment money and time. The NFL will not close up shop but they have to think about the players, ask yourself would you want these guys living next door to you. 

37 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I believe that my generation ,born 1963, are no longer enamored by the current generation of players. Maybe its because of today's social media and 24 hr news cycle, a player gets caught beating up his wife or committing a felony makes it hard to root for these guys on Sunday. For every Tim Tebow there are 20 Ray Carruths, the guy who murdered his pregnant girlfriend. Still love to watch the High Schools and college which still plays the game at its purest level. My favorite players were guys like Walter Payton, who even though played on some horrible teams they still gave us 100%. 

Todays generation grew up with much more choices for their entertainment money and time. The NFL will not close up shop but they have to think about the players, ask yourself would you want these guys living next door to you. 

F9C5BCE2-BC9D-45DB-AD24-77E1BB01A8DA.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I appreciate them for what they are: clowns destroying their bodies for my entertainment. Nothing more. 

Don’t take your social/political/societal cues from professional gladiators  nor allow their opinions the same weight as real people .... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2018 at 5:31 PM, Prosuper said:

Still love to watch the High Schools and college which still plays the game at its purest level.

...ask yourself would you want these guys living next door to you. 

Is there something about the game (offensive schemes, rules, etc.) that changes things for you to say that you love to watch college ball but don't like the NFL? Because all but the oldest NFL players were all playing college ball less than a decade ago; it's a subset of the same people. I get that it's a different game in some ways but I enjoy both college football and NFL FWIW.

And hell yea I'd like these guys living next door to me...they're mostly millionaires so my property values would probably be ballin' 😎 A good chunk of the Tennessee Titans who stay local year-round live in the Brentwood/Franklin area of Williamson County, TN and it's an extremely nice area with, "Some very fine people on both sides (of the street)" haha.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/04/27/new-tennessee-titan-demarco-murray-bought-a-3m.html

Edited by nsplayr

8 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Is there something about the game (offensive schemes, rules, etc.) that changes things for you to say that you love to watch college ball but don't like the NFL? Because all but the oldest NFL players were all playing college ball less than a decade ago; it's a subset of the same people. I get that it's a different game in some ways but I enjoy both college football and NFL FWIW.

And hell yea I'd like these guys living next door to me...they're mostly millionaires so my property values would probably be ballin' 😎 A good chunk of the Tennessee Titans who stay local year-round live in the Brentwood/Franklin area of Williamson County, TN and it's an extremely nice area with, "Some very fine people on both sides (of the street)" haha.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/04/27/new-tennessee-titan-demarco-murray-bought-a-3m.html

Question is-does he still live there?  He is now retired.

And I would much rather watch a college game as compared to an NFL game, but I do live in the south and grew up on college football, way before the NFL came to town.