NFL Ratings are Way Down

HuggyU2

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Cancelled my NFL Ticket today. 

ATT/Directv are granting waivers if you cite the player protest as a reason.  The agent asked me why I wanted to cancel and I told him I was a veteran and opposed to the players protesting during the National Anthem, he actually replied "Sir we are not allowed to talk politics on the phone but WE AGREE WITH YOU, your NFL Ticket is cancelled and we are processing a refund, thank you for your service!"

You're telling me some guy in India named "Jim" gives a shit about players not standing during the Anthem?

This makes me hate DirectTV a little less. Maybe I'll skip threatening to cancel service when I get the bill next month.  No promises for November though.

On another note...

As a SWA guy, I personally (among others from various work groups with whom I've spoken) would like to see the company pull the plug on its sponsorship of the NFL.  Unfortunately, I don't think Kelly and crew are ready to test that whole risk/reward scenario. 

17 hours ago, Prosuper said:

My take on the whole thing from a NFL fans perspective. I'm grumpy old Crew Chief/A&P who is tired of constantly being brow beat every time I have a opposing view from the left. The term racist and bigot have lost all meaning in today's debate since it is used by weak minds who don't have a decent counterpoint. 

So I turn on the TV on a Sunday afternoon to watch some football. I used to play in High School and USAFE in the 80's when every base fielded a tackle football team, great times.  I just want to watch football and not be lectured by guys who have always been on the wrong side of a conversation with a cop. I have been pulled over  for your average traffic infraction but never had a bad encounter, is it because I'm white or is it I just cooperated and said I brain farted.  The NFL is entertainment short and simple, I want to root for my team or watch some well played games. Most of the times now even without the kneel downs the product is just not good with the stoppages of play, constant penalties and crass advertising. Now you got black players whooping it up when they destroy a white player, I didn't put up with it on active duty and sure don't want to see on my TV.  Now if these players are serious they need some skin in game away from the playing field, some give back with their foundations but most these guys could start setting the example by being decent fathers, husbands and friends and stop acting like thugs between Sundays. Start incentives for good behavior for inner city kids who get good grades and come to games as their guests etc.  Now get off my grass.

100% agree. I’m tired of being lectured to by the left.  Quit telling us this is about “racial inequality.”  It is about attention.  It is about a bunch of spoilt, whiney, overpaid millionaires yearning for attention because they know they are inadequate.  

Racism does exist, a lot of blacks are oppressed; so if that bothers you - go mentor youths at an inner city school, go coach at said school, start a scholarship, etc.  Kneeling during the flag? Sorry, not buying the racial inequalities arguement. 

"In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer. Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/hard-data-hollow-protests-15458.html

I promise you, if the left keeps up these straw man protests, The Donald gets 8 years. And what comes after him is going to make liberals dream of the days when Ted Cruz was their biggest fear.

On the plus side, NFL started are about the worst possible role models for American youth, so I hope they keep it up long enough to really sink the NFL for good. They won't, of course. Kaepernick got very quiet as soon as his career seemed imperiled, the others will declare "mission accomplished" and stand when they see their sponsorship deals dry up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

On the plus side, NFL started are about the worst possible role models for American youth, so I hope they keep it up long enough to really sink the NFL for good. They won't, of course. Kaepernick got very quiet as soon as his career seemed imperiled, the others will declare "mission accomplished" and stand when they see their sponsorship deals dry up.

Agree 100%. While they may not care a group of fans burned/trashed/shred jerseys/posters/whatever those items represent money already in the bank.  But once the big dollar sponsors DirectTV etc... start to go away, that'll have em' singing a different tune.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:21 PM, Prosuper said:

USAFE in the 80's when every base fielded a tackle football team, great times.    Now get off my grass.

Ahhh game day at Bitburg 1986... complete with cheerleaders, tailgate parties and beer!  Fun, fun.  Only downside to USAFE football was losing flightline guys "TDY" to the gym for months at a time during the season. Heard many a rumor that Wing Kings would trade players like the NFL, I guess winning the USAFE Trophy (or whatever it was called) was a big deal on their OER.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stitch said:

Ahhh game day at Bitburg 1986... complete with cheerleaders, tailgate parties and beer!  Fun, fun.  Only downside to USAFE football was losing flightline guys "TDY" to the gym for months at a time during the season. Heard many a rumor that Wing Kings would trade players like the NFL, I guess winning the USAFE Trophy (or whatever it was called) was a big deal on their OER.  

I would like this Air Force back please.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Stitch said:

Wing Kings were laying serious cash down on bets with other Wing Kings. At a newcomers brief at Mildenhall the Wing CC gave his spiel then told me to stand up and asked if I ever played. Next thing I know I'm suited in pads for practice that evening, I loved it. I heard the German bases were raiding Army barracks for players, it seemed the the German bases had huge O and D lines than the UK bases. It wasn't fair that Woodbridge Bentwaters had Chad Henning suiting up for them. Did that guy even fit in a A-10.

Edited by Prosuper
additional info
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

You can see how many really care about making a political statement when the Cowboys threatened to fire anyone who knelt.  All stood.  Either everyone on that team feels very different than the rest of the NFL, or the NFL players in general really don't believe in whatever it is they're 'protesting'.

It looks like most of the teams are giving up the protest too. I’m wondering if this had anything to do with the outrage from the fans...?

5 hours ago, Hacker said:

Can you give a specific example of this "oppression" in the United States?

I misspoke, I shouldn’t have said “a lot of blacks are oppressed.”  I don’t think there is a single law in America that gives Black people a disadvantage.  All in all I really think we are one of the most accepting countries having been around a few.

What I meant to convey is that there is some racism (as there is anywhere in the world) and a lot black folks from a young age tend to come from disadvantaged background compared to other races - and were the NFL players actually concerned about this, there are many other venues to go out and fix this instead of kneeling like a bunch of cry babies.  

9 hours ago, Azimuth said:

No one on this side ever argued that standing for the anthem makes you a patriot, much like me shaking your hand when you offer a handshake doesn’t necessarily make me a nice person; but were I to swat it away then I’d be kind of a douche. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/29/2017 at 7:12 PM, dream big said:

What I meant to convey is that there is some racism (as there is anywhere in the world) and a lot black folks from a young age tend to come from disadvantaged background compared to other races

Race is neither an analog for culture nor economic status, FWIW.

There are people from every race that have a "disadvantaged background".  No race has the market cornered in western society on "advantage" or "disadvantage", because race is a meaningless quality in a meritocracy.

Nonetheless, even when speaking of economic or social status, "equality" doesn't mean "equity."  We don't have equity, nor in a society that values both individual liberty, egalitarianism, and personal responsibility do we desire such a thing.  It is the "land of equal opportunity", not the land of "equal outcomes".

• Like 7

Nonetheless, even when speaking of economic or social status, "equality" doesn't mean "equity."  We don't have equity, nor in a society that values both individual liberty, egalitarianism, and personal responsibility do we desire such a thing.  It is the "land of equal opportunity", not the land of "equal outcomes".

Think you might want to review what equity and equality mean...

7 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Think you might want to review what equity and equality mean...

They are not synonymous in the social sciences, and they have very specific meanings in the context of this discussion.

Equality refers to the quality of being equal in objective status in society -- that people are all the same under the law.  Equity refers to the equal quality of balance and fairness in society in terms of means and ways -- it is most applicable to discussion of relative economic means and perceived/actual social power.

One refers to opportunity and access, the other refers to outcomes.  One is the core of individualism.  The other is the core of collectivism.

But, thanks.

Edited by Hacker
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, Smokin said:

You can see how many really care about making a political statement when the Cowboys threatened to fire anyone who knelt.  All stood.  Either everyone on that team feels very different than the rest of the NFL, or the NFL players in general really don't believe in whatever it is they're 'protesting'.

Funny that you believed that internet hoax.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/08/vice-president-mike-pence-leaves-colts-49ers-game-after-players-reportedly-kneel.html

"I left today's Colts game because President Trump and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem. At a time when so many Americans are inspiring our nation with their courage, resolve, and resilience, now, more than ever, we should rally around our Flag and everything that unites us." "While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I don't think it's too much to ask NFL players to respect the Flag and our National Anthem," he continued. "I stand with President Trump, I stand with our soldiers, and I will always stand for our Flag and National Anthem." 

I wish I had seen this real time, but the NFL already lost me and I was at the pool getting a workout in instead of watching the games.

It would be nice to see 30K walk out at these games, someday...maybe.

ATIS