Pilot Training and EAD

staarbox

I am an AFROTC cadet graduating in May with a pilot slot, I was curious if anyone had info on how EAD and pilot training dates work? Can you request dates to go to pilot training/EAD? Can you trade dates with other pilot slot selections? I am asking because I would like to use up my full year before I EAD so I can get my masters. Thanks in advance for your response!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a follow-up question: how feasible is it to go to AFIT as a pilot?  I'm very interested in one of their masters programs, but it seems to me that getting an in-residence masters as a pilot would be difficult.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Several guys I know did AFIT en route to TPS.  If TPS is a goal/something you're interested in, then AFIT is reasonable after your second-ish flying assignment.  There is a program that allows you to commission, go straight to get a masters (civilian schools as well as AFIT), and then go to UPT after that.  The latter puts you behind your peers and likely closes doors in the flying world...but hey, you got that shiny diploma on your wall (know two guys who did that route and would not repeat it).

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

AFIT has a distance learning masters program in systems engineering. Same course work as the in-res students. In fact some of the DL class were recordings of the in res lecture the day prior. My transcript makes no mention of distance learning. I'll know for sure when I get my diploma this December.

In addition, it's now free for active duty (wasn't free for my first 2 years in the program...) on a space available basis (class sizes running about 10ish, not sure where their cut off is)