Questions About Transfering From Community College

BroadwayJoe

Right now I am 75% with my associates at Community College. The University that's close to me does have AF ROTC. What does ROTC usually look for, regarding transfers? If a Pilot Slot is my goal would being a Community College student hurt me compared to someone who directly attended a Four Year College directly out of high school? Also what GPA is considered ideal. Right now I am earning my Business Associates and have a 3.5 GPA. Is this low too? (I can still bring it up with my current classes and the last 5 I will take next year).

This is probably asked a lot but how does the pilot selection process work for ROTC? I've tried Googling around and most of the answers I find from Service Academy forums or Yahoo! (not a great source, I know) usually say it's all by chance or by the needs of the Air Force.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2016 at 6:08 PM, BroadwayJoe said:

Right now I am 75% with my associates at Community College. The University that's close to me does have AF ROTC. What does ROTC usually look for, regarding transfers? If a Pilot Slot is my goal would being a Community College student hurt me compared to someone who directly attended a Four Year College directly out of high school? Also what GPA is considered ideal. Right now I am earning my Business Associates and have a 3.5 GPA. Is this low too? (I can still bring it up with my current classes and the last 5 I will take next year).

This is probably asked a lot but how does the pilot selection process work for ROTC? I've tried Googling around and most of the answers I find from Service Academy forums or Yahoo! (not a great source, I know) usually say it's all by chance or by the needs of the Air Force.

Since you are not attending the school the ROTC program is at you would be considered a crosstown cadet. There should be zero issues with you attending LLAB/classes as a crosstown so long as you meet all the requirements to join. My det was roughly half crosstowns and some would drive as far as 3 hours every Friday to attend training. Since you are almost done you should start as an AS250 and shoot for Field Training as soon as possible, however the learning curve will be steeper as you'll only have a year to learn what most of your classmates did in 2. And as far as CC's go I know a couple cadets that got pilot slots that transferred so its definitely possible. Your 3.5 GPA is solid for EA selection so as long as you don't fail any classes and participate (and pass the dodmerb) you'll be fine.