Enlisted ANG looking for multiple flying opportunities after college.

Good evening ladies and gents,

So, here I am, just signing on for a six year contract at an airlift squadron for Aerial Transportation (2T2X1) and I've run into a slight dilemma. So the squadron I am currently on with is an airlift squadron, were going from 130s to 17s in 2018 and that sounds super nice. However, a squadron not TOO far away from me flies F-16s and I've always love the idea of flying fast jets and they have alot of boards for folks. Here are a few questions to throw out to the experience masses:

1. Would it make me look like an ass getting on with one squadron just to leave them for another squadron later on down the road? 

2. Would it be possible for me to become an officer THROUGH the other squadron? As in, would it be possible for me to go to the 16 squadron to the board and apply for OTS AS WELL as UPT? This is my main question, I'm curious as to if I can move from my current squadron as an enlisted to the fighter squadron as an officer-selectee and UPT candidate. 

3. Any 16 guys want to talk about their life experience? Same for the 17 folks as well.

When it all comes down to it, I wouldn't mind flying with my squadron if I get the opportunity too. But I would love to have the chance to fly F-16s if I can.

Thank you guys for your time.  

Edited by Astro_Karbowski
  • Upvote 1

Good evening ladies and gents,
So, here I am, just signing on for a six year contract at an airlift squadron for Aerial Transportation (2T2X1) and I've run into a slight dilemma. So the squadron I am currently on with is an airlift squadron, were going from 130s to 17s in 2018 and that sounds super nice. However, a squadron not TOO far away from me flies F-16s and I've always love the idea of flying fast jets and they have alot of boards for folks. Here are a few questions to throw out to the experience masses:
1. Would it make me look like an ass getting on with one squadron just to leave them for another squadron later on down the road? 
2. Would it be possible for me to become an officer THROUGH the other squadron? As in, would it be possible for me to go to the 16 squadron to the board and apply for OTS AS WELL as UPT? This is my main question, I'm curious as to if I can move from my current squadron as an enlisted to the fighter squadron as an officer-selectee and UPT candidate. 
3. Any 16 guys want to talk about their life experience? Same for the 17 folks as well.
When it all comes down to it, I wouldn't mind flying with my squadron if I get the opportunity too. But I would love to have the chance to fly F-16s if I can.
Thank you guys for your time.  

1. You already signed and started your commitment? You may be stuck. If that's the case you need to call MPF to see if you're eligible.

2. Top Gun looks cool. But it's a lot of work. If you think you have it in you and that's your personality and you've done your research, been around fighter guys and mesh with the unit, then apply. Got a degree? Take the AFOQT yet? Those are gonna need to be completed. Have any flying time? They're going to at least ask you why you want to fly. How do you know?

3....I can't answer 3. Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what its worth, I enlisted as an F-16 Avionics guy in my unit in November 2014.  I got back from tech school in January of 2016.  I applied to the board at my unit in May for an F-16 UPT spot, and I interviewed in June.  Found out I got the spot the day after the interview, and I leave for OTS in January.  I had been in touch with several units in the area about applying to their boards as well, and I had application packages sealed up and ready to be shipped off if plan A(flying at my unit) didn't go through.  If you want to fly, explore all of your options.  Don't be afraid to communicate with your shop supervisor about your goals and intentions.  Get him/her on board.  Their support will help a ton.  One of the letters I submitted with my packet was from my supervisor, and I feel that, whether you are applying to your own unit or somewhere else, it will help a lot.

Edited by black hills tj

I'm still a way out from being completely done with college, so I'm just trying to feel things out right now and try to get ready for one or the other. I like my unit, I like everyone here, my shop supervisor is a great guy and so far everyone else is great too. I've communicated my intentions to everyone about flying after college so it's out there. I work at an aviation museum right across the road from them and a lot of the aircrews will flow over to us when they have nothing to do and I've collected plenty of phone numbers and business cards. Just wanted to feel the Falcon option out and bounce it off a few experienced people. The 17 isn't a bad bird, everyone whose spent time with it loves it. But I'll keep my options open. Thanks for your time guys. 

Edited by Astro_Karbowski
Self deprecating grammar nazi