AERO app

Does anyone know if we can get a copy of AERO installed on our personal iPads? If not, is foreflight the way to go, or are there any cheaper alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aero is crap, Foreflight with military EFB has everything you need and then some (okay it doesn't have jepps). Cost is pretty steep for the global kit but pays dividends in the off chance mobile iron has a glitch in its servers that automatically deletes aero from your efb and won't allow you to reinstall it and in a mad dash you reset your ipad to download but DISA won't allow you to get a new pin because they need approval from someone who takes Fridays off to issue a new pin because the new iOS drop is like a week out (which your efb is incompatible with)...  Not saying anything like that would happen, just saying it could...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Foreflight is the way to go, for personal or EFB use. If you're really cheap, you can just sign up for the free trial with Foreflight under a new email address every 60 days and never pay a dime. I'm not sure who pays for our subscriptions (I'm almost certain it is NOT the squadron), but our flyers all have full Foreflight subscriptions with open ended expirations. I use my military supplied subscription on my personal iPad, no issues.

19 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Does anyone know if we can get a copy of AERO installed on our personal iPads? If not, is foreflight the way to go, or are there any cheaper alternatives?

Create an account on apps.nga.mil, login to the site on your iPad, download the Mobile Storefront, Login into the Mobile Storefront on your iPad using your credentials created for apps.nga.mil, download and Install Aero.

To download Aero .zip files you'll need a Disadvantaged User account on NGA.  Get that then you can download all the Aero data you want, including Giant Reports, from inside Aero.

Why would you want Aero on your personal iPad?  The .zip files are pretty large.

On September 18, 2016 at 2:16 PM, ihtfp06 said:

Yes you can, the question is why would you want such a shitty product? Also see Snooter's "hypothetical" situation, the entire mobile iron/areo construct is a prime example of government IT support (or non-support).

Stupid question I’m sure, does the Air Force allow its pilots to plan flights with an EFB like ForeFlight?

Does the AF explicitly allow it? No clue. Do we do it all the time? Definitely.

We can't use ForeFlight (along with the stratus puck) for primary navigation or weather avoidance, but it sure makes for a good SA builder in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

FYI.    WingX provides it's product free to anyone on AD, CAP, or to CFIs.

http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/ShopInitialPurchase.html

Call us at 954-859-4632 and we will get your account setup or renewed over the phone. We recommend calling us if you have a group purchase, are active Military or Civil Air Patrol.

That along with a Stratux box will give you great SA.  This will give you ADSB in.  The only caveat is that to get the TIS-B feed, you need an aircraft with ADSB out in your vicinity.  The FIB-B feed for weather is always transmitted.  If your iPad doesn't have a GPS, you can get an inexpensive one and plug it into the Stratux box.  Here's a source for one that's turnkey and hard to beat the price by purchasing the components separately.

https://www.amazon.com/Vilros-Raspberry-Aviation-Set-Micro-Pre-loaded/dp/B01BX1QSFK

The only issue is that they ship 0.8r2 of the Stratux code.  1.01 is the current release, but it's really simple to update yourself.

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2016 at 9:46 PM, Champ Kind said:

We just got Jepp pro...

On 9/20/2016 at 10:37 AM, Fuzz said:

Same at my base

Funny... they just took Jepp Pro off our iPads. We were never told we could use It.

I had a No-Notice from AFRC and they had told us other units had purchased the Stratus receivers. We asked and they had no details but they said they loved how they were using it. My question is if anyone has had a unit purchase... how many did you buy? Was it for a mission kits or for each A/C and or Crewmember? It'd be nice to step into the next level of technology and out of the dark ages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlassEmpty said:

Funny... they just took Jepp Pro off our iPads. We were never told we could use It.

I had a No-Notice from AFRC and they had told us other units had purchased the Stratus receivers. We asked and they had no details but they said they loved how they were using it. My question is if anyone has had a unit purchase... how many did you buy? Was it for a mission kits or for each A/C and or Crewmember? It'd be nice to step into the next level of technology and out of the dark ages.

PM me your .mil and I'll give you the RA information that bought it for the B-52 FTU.

6 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

I asked one of the aero developers why they couldn’t make stitched together maps like foreflight and that was his exact response. “It’s good enough” as is. 

Foreflight is the only way to go

Disclosure up front... I'm a huge Jepp fan.  I've played with all of the apps and I have to say the functionality of the Jepp platform is so much more powerful than either.  Jepp doesn't stitch .pdf charts.  Theirs are seamlessly digitally created on the screen out of the raw data.  That's why their charts customize what they show as you zoom in/out and update themselves based on NOTAMs and give you pop-up notes that comes from AP/GP/etc.  Their new airfield diagrams actually show areas that are NOTAMed closed...f-ing cool when you're at a busy unfamiliar place.  And, Jepp can tie together their other apps/products together so they talk to each other...TOLD performance data, mission info, insert your own charts/info, build your own routes, etc.  Damn cool stuff that let's us use the EFB for more than an e-reader! 

BTW, I heard that Jepp and ForeFlight are coming out with a merged app that blends the best of their platforms and Jepp's global data.  That ends the debate.

But the chances the big boys will ever let that capability get into the cockpit...

• Like 1

ForeFlight already has Jepp integration for approach plates and other Jepp products.  You have to work with Jepp to get your subscription synced up to ForeFlight, not sure on costs but we're actually going that way soon, so I can find out.  Our unit paid for ForeFlight accounts.  ForeFlight is authorized in ACC but the unit has to foot the bill. NGA cheaped out and dumped the free subscriptions, although you can still go through the NGA app store to get it.

Yeah, that's the first step in the integration.  The next release of Jepp FD Pro will have ForeFlight functions integrated into it.  I think the two apps will be blended going forward.