Was flying for the Air Force worth it?

glitchfire

Dream big is spot on.  But I still recommend not passing up AD if that's your best bet to fly (i.e. pushing age while trying to rush guard/reserve units).  I'm glad to be in the guard, but I also had a great time on AD for 11 years FWIW.

For my part:
AD was the biggest bait and switch imaginable.
1. Go thru USAFA: get UPT. Good deal
2. Go thru UPT: get good assignment.
3. Get to 1st duty: big FU. The attitude I received from management was
“Thank god you’re done with that flying bs. Yeah, sure, you gotta maintain currency and, of course, upgrades, and all that other bs, but the main thing is YOUR CAREER!”
Zero regard for service or mission. In fact, had a DO, later an OG, initials AM, who specifically advised me that deploying for OIF was a fool’s errand. It was his specific counsel that I should not deploy in order to work on my “career”.

With solidly mid-level managers like this, seemingly throughout the service, is there any hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kind of bullshit (Chida's post) rarely, if ever, happens in the CAF.  In my 11 years, I never saw anything that even slightly amounted to the careerist bullshit that all of my MAF bros told me (and I've read on here).  Sure there's the occasional CC who's not great at flying and has turned to perfecting queep, but it's minor when compared to the MAF.  It seems like the cultural cancer across the street is so bad even the few good bros who make it to CC are unable to affect change.  Grassroots guys - stop playing their game and the game will eventually subside (I know, easier said than done).

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, brabus said:

That kind of bullshit (Chida's post) rarely, if ever, happens in the CAF.  In my 11 years, I never saw anything that even slightly amounted to the careerist bullshit that all of my MAF bros told me (and I've read on here).  Sure there's the occasional CC who's not great at flying and has turned to perfecting queep, but it's minor when compared to the MAF.  It seems like the cultural cancer across the street is so bad even the few good bros who make it to CC are unable to affect change.  Grassroots guys - stop playing their game and the game will eventually subside (I know, easier said than done).

I've been told that I needed to stop deploying do much because it would hurt my chances for promotion.  Granted, it wasn't during my first ops tour... But we're still sending the message to young guys that the Air Force values queep more than lethality when it comes to promotion time.

Look, if you think the USAF could be your key to happiness and fulfillment, it’s not. Expectation management.

My USAF career has been nothing like I envisioned when I was in ROTC but back then I was dumb and naive. I learned real quick that my expectations were built on false pretenses.

I haven’t always been happy in my 17 years of flying in the USAF but for me it was definitely worth it.

Some might have followed my same career path/assignments and been really disappointed. Others ecstatic.

“Worth it” is 100% subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

I've been told that I needed to stop deploying do much because it would hurt my chances for promotion.  Granted, it wasn't during my first ops tour... But we're still sending the message to young guys that the Air Force values queep more than lethality when it comes to promotion time.

That’s because a majority of the fools in charge, especially in the MAF, were the ones who were skirting deployments in the mid-to-late 2000’s. They’re just going to preach what helped them achieve their promotions.

42 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

That’s because a majority of the fools in charge, especially in the MAF, were the ones who were skirting deployments in the mid-to-late 2000’s. They’re just going to preach what helped them achieve their promotions.

Agreed, but this was in the CAF.  I fly B-1s.

Expectation management is key. It’s not the “good ole days” anymore, and it’s a government organization, the beurocracy and bs are alive and well. 

That being said, it’s still a amazing experience, Im glad I choose to be military aviator and worked my ass off my USAF wings. I went straight to RPAs after UPT, it was a major let down, I missed being the air everyday. But I learned more than I ever thought, and was closer (even though remotely)to the pointy end of the stick than most will ever be. I got one of my top choices of assignment out of RPAs, and recently have returned to the jet. I don’t take any flight for granted, and I’m usually smiling like a fool from the moment I step until engine shutdown. I’ve been lucky, I have had some pretty good leadership in AFSOC, I’ve also seen some not good leadership in other organizations both in my wing and in others. 

Im still torn if I want to stay or punch at my 10, I’m not on the HPO track, and that’s fine. If I do decide to leave AD when the time comes it’s likely I will try to find a guard/reserve gig. Going AD was probably the only chance I was get to fly anything bigger than a 172, and it has opened up my opportunities in the aviation world. 

Some things have been awesome, some have sucked, I still don’t for a second regret the decisions I have made. 

Edited by viper154
State school education=bad grammar
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, pawnman said:

I've been told that I needed to stop deploying do much because it would hurt my chances for promotion

Never heard of a fighter pilot being told the same.  I'm sure it has happened, but like I said, that situation (and your's) is not the norm in the CAF...at least not in the fighter world.  Some people have bad timing/luck, but I don't believe the majority do.  For every shitty "I hate life in the AF" story told, there's a 100 that had a pretty good time overall.

I think Viper's last line above nails it - it's not all good, but in the end, totally worth it for the vast majority of us, at least the first 10ish years anyways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

Wow! It's been a while. While doing a bit of Google searching, I came across this thread and realized I was the OP. It's strange to revisit this thread six years later. It's funny how an internet forum can serve as a journal of your life in some ways.

Anyways, quick update - I actually decided to go into finance after college. This isn't the coolest or most endearing story to tell - but I optimized for the most amount of money that I could make coming out of college. My family didn't have much financially growing up (I was a pell grant recipient in college) - so when I got into an top school I felt like I needed to try to maximize my earning potential and set up my current + future family for success.

I actually then transitioned to the tech industry recently in a finance-related role. I'm happy with where I am at now. But obviously (since I'm here right now!) there's a part of me that wonders "what if?" 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, glitchfire said:

Wow! It's been a while. While doing a bit of Google searching, I came across this thread and realized I was the OP. It's strange to revisit this thread six years later. It's funny how an internet forum can serve as a journal of your life in some ways.

Anyways, quick update - I actually decided to go into finance after college. This isn't the coolest or most endearing story to tell - but I optimized for the most amount of money that I could make coming out of college. My family didn't have much financially growing up (I was a pell grant recipient in college) - so when I got into an top school I felt like I needed to try to maximize my earning potential and set up my current + future family for success.

I actually then transitioned to the tech industry recently in a finance-related role. I'm happy with where I am at now. But obviously (since I'm here right now!) there's a part of me that wonders "what if?" 

Congrats, dude. You dodged a bullet. Don't second guess yourself.

Door isn’t t closed to come fly jets. If you decide to stay where you are, try to be happy with that and dump the “what if” thing. Because I guarantee you’ll never have stories and life experiences anywhere close to what I and a lot here have had. And that’s fine. You’ll also have alot more time to do what you want and spend time with your family than I’ve had. Also fine.

It’s completely an individual thing. Don’t look for feedback here. Lots of people here are great. Lots are losers. Do what’s right for you.

• Upvote 1

Congrats on building a successful career & don't have regrets, have plans. If you want to fly, make hay while the sun shines in finance & tech, then FIRE and/or go part-time and start flying, you almost certainly have the money to do so.

If you love it, build time flying your rich buddies around or however else you'd like and then become a professional pilot down the line, there's still plenty of need for years and years to come.

Either way, good luck! I greatly value my (ongoing) Air Force flying career but it certainly ain't the only way to make a living or do something valuable in this life.

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread with the same question.  

I spent 20 years and 4 days active.  3 as mx, 6 as a boom and the remainder as a pliot.  

To me, the life experience I gained, good and bad, would not have been possible in any other profession.  I saw the world and all of the different types of boobies.  I slept inside F-16 intakes to keep out of my bosses' view. I was able to learn how to work in extreme conditions with people of all walks of life.  I hurt bad guys and helped a few people having a bad day.  I served my country in that shit hole we call the middle east.   I can walk with my head high because I did some bad ass shit (things you can't do as a civilian) and I know most of the people I served with walked the walk as well.   The AF and aviation isn’t for everyone, but for those of you with the love of flight and love for your countrymen, the AF is capable of providing a life built around this.   It's far from a perfect military organization but it's the only place I know (along with the Navy, USMC and USA) where you can legally fire your weapons while flying lol.  

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure
  • Like 2

Lots of paths, some happy, some not so you’ll get mixed responses.

I did 20+ yrs Active duty, enjoyed it enough to separate into reserves vs retire. I could have more money but feel I have plenty (just being disciplined, not smart, not lucky) a line # and I still get to fly fast, low/hi etc. so other than the USAF being a shitshow, it was well worth it.

My social circle is now fairly hi end and the super wealthy people are more jealous of me than I am of them….money isn’t everything is what I learned.

To me nothing can replace a day of flying fighters then drinking afternoon beers in the squadron bar like I’m 22 again.

I do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, di1630 said:

drinking afternoon beers in the squadron bar like I’m 22 again.

A sure fire way to destroy the next 2 days of your life. Getting old is bullshit. 

Disclaimer: No, I haven’t learned my lesson yet, and probably never will!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 5

The YouTube algorithm offered some great advice on your topic to me today. Watch the clip below, especially the line starting at 5:06. Not saying you’re going to be shoveling shit In Louisiana, but…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

The YouTube algorithm offered some great advice on your topic to me today. Watch the clip below, especially the line starting at 5:06. Not saying you’re going to be shoveling shit In Louisiana, but…

This

Hell yeah man!!!

• 3 weeks later...