Hangout at a rescue unit.

So I'm an enlisted reservist out of Nellis and started talking to the helicopter rescue unit at Patrick about putting a pilot package in next year. I live in Florida roughly an hour from the base and commute to Nellis for drill because I like my job and the unit. My Chief told me today I can do a drill weekend with that unit on orders which is great. I'd be in uniform as a SSgt. That being said do any of you see a problem with me hanging out with the pilots if I'm in uniform? Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, 44Driver said:

So I'm an enlisted reservist out of Nellis and started talking to the helicopter rescue unit at Patrick about putting a pilot package in next year. I live in Florida roughly an hour from the base and commute to Nellis for drill because I like my job and the unit. My Chief told me today I can do a drill weekend with that unit on orders which is great. I'd be in uniform as a SSgt. That being said do any of you see a problem with me hanging out with the pilots if I'm in uniform? Thoughts?

Obviously I know the customs and courtesies per the AFI. That being said would you think it may be frowned upon?

I've seen enlisted pilot applicants, in uniform on UTA weekends, hanging in the pilot shop a couple times over the years; not unusual.  Coordinate with the hiring folks at Patrick ahead of time to help ensure a successful visit - you don't want to show up unannounced on a block training UTA.

3 hours ago, JarheadBoom said:

I've seen enlisted pilot applicants, in uniform on UTA weekends, hanging in the pilot shop a couple times over the years; not unusual.  Coordinate with the hiring folks at Patrick ahead of time to help ensure a successful visit - you don't want to show up unannounced on a block training UTA.

As a matter of fact I contacted them today and got it lined up. Appreciate the help! Really looking forward to meeting everyone there and checking it out.

1 hour ago, bb17 said:

I've also seen enlisted guys hanging out at units not in uniform as well. Maybe it depends on the unit. 

Yeah I will eventually go there out of uniform possibly for a social gathering. I will be on orders for that visit I mentioned so I don’t know how that would play out.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...