Drinking in uniform/on duty

chizz

Way back when I was an LT someone in our lunch push group produced a reg that said it was ok to have up to two drinks during your duty day at lunch or something.  Anyone know of such a thing?  

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Just wait until the end of the day, don't push it, you'll ruin it for everyone.  At least, what is already not ruined.

the situation already happened to someone, so asking as ammo, but thanks mom.  

Edited by chizz
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, chizz said:

the situation already happened to someone, so asking as ammo, but thanks mom.  

Think of me more as "Been there,done that, seen the repercussions" kind of guy, regs be damned.  And I'm not your mother, I will not feel sorry for you if this is disregarded.

• Upvote 3

So, is it illegal to drink in uniform or not?  If it is, when in the past 15 years did that become a rule, because I sure did not know about it?  Of course, it's been about 15 years since I read any "rules" that are not from the 11-series books.  

17 hours ago, chizz said:

Way back when I was an LT someone in our lunch push group produced a reg that said it was ok to have up to two drinks during your duty day at lunch or something.  Anyone know of such a thing?  

I heard the same thing from several people, several times, over the course of 6-9 years of UTA weekend lunches.  No one was ever able to provide a reference.

My personal rule was: If the person saying it was OK was a section chief, CC/DO/ADO, or my AC, and was present, it was OK.  Otherwise, not worth the potential asspain.

34-219 doesn't really say fuck all about it...

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi34-219/afi34-219.pdf

36-2903 only says you you can't wear bags or ACUs in any place that primarily sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.

31-207 states airmen "will not consume any form of alcohol or use over the counter drugs or prescription medications that could impair ability to handle a firearm while on duty, or within 8 hours before duty or firearms training."

So drink up, gentlemen!  :drinking:

• Upvote 2

On September 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM, JarheadBoom said:

I heard the same thing from several people, several times, over the course of 6-9 years of UTA weekend lunches.  No one was ever able to provide a reference.

My personal rule was: If the person saying it was OK was a section chief, CC/DO/ADO, or my AC, and was present, it was OK.  Otherwise, not worth the potential asspain.

Exactly what everyone thinks...then an army guard food joint owner calls the wg/cc because he sees said SRO having a beer with his buds is when the shit hits the fan and why I'd love to know the real answer. I love being a monkey shit repellent for people, just need the right rain coat. 

20 hours ago, chizz said:

Exactly what everyone thinks...then an army guard food joint owner calls the wg/cc because he sees said SRO having a beer with his buds is when the shit hits the fan and why I'd love to know the real answer. I love being a monkey shit repellent for people, just need the right rain coat. 

On several occasions, I would have been able to point across the table and say "Well, sir, would you like to address this issue with my squadron commander?"

Too many people are cowards these days in regards to the punishment they deal out during their command.  In this case, and as with the case when I received similar punishment for a minor infraction that could have been dealt with by means of a verbal counseling, the theme is "I have to hand out paperwork or I risk getting fired under the condition of not leading my people and failure to command."  I'm sorry but handing out LOCs/LORs isn't commanding, it is not leading your people.  It is simple covering your ass and not having the fortitude to stand up for your actions if you truly believe they are the right punishment for the crime.  If you truly believe the punishment shouldn't be handed out, then dispense with the speech that includes "well this gets tossed out in six months so it really doesn't matter."  Why waste both of our time then?

• Upvote 3

In my squadron it's not frowned upon to have a drink or two at the end of the day. There's kind of an unwritten rule I noticed...wait to crack open a beer until 1530 or so. Or if the boss says beer light's on of course.

And obviously in debrief after a flight. Beer is always welcome in debrief, checkride or not! 

Apparently in the old days, it was common for the morning flight's crew to arrive to find the previous night's crew in the bar either still drinking or passed out. Well, I guess this wasn't too long ago...the guy who witnessed this (and participated in it) has been in my squadron for maybe 10 years, if that. Those days are long gone though.

• Upvote 2