11B to 11F in the Guard/Reserve?

Hey fellas, first off appreciate the answers and help up front. I'm an 11B guy with a couple years left on ADSC and looking to Palace Chase. By the time my ADSC is up (assuming I can't get out earlier) I'll be 33 years old. Is it realistic at that point to try and rush a 11F guard/reserve unit in the hopes of getting picked up or do I need to recage my nugget on some other goal. Also how far out from separation should I start working on getting in with a unit? Should I separate first, get picked up by the majors, then come back and rush? Or rush and simultaneously apply for the majors as well. I'm also coming up on my possible last AD assignment before separation and I was leaning towards T38 IP so I can get back into the cockpit and get my hands warm on something a little more capable than the one that brought me to the dance (so to speak) before I try and rush. Thanks again!

Short answer, it depends.  I have seen a select few B-1 guys get into F-16 units (Buckley/Ft Worth) but that's a rarity, but it can be done.  Your issue is going to be all the other fighter guys around you getting out, they will get picked above you just because they are a proven entity, a quick TX with no IFF.  Find the unit that is always hurting (Homestead) and test the waters there.

• Upvote 1

Actually got to chat with a guy from Homestead flying Vipers a couple years ago. He was a full-up heavy guy, T-1s and everything who got picked up. Also flys for a major airline. Super awesome guy. His advice was if you want it go for it.

Im no mother Cleo, but I will say I have seen a huge influx of 11Fs rushing KC-135 units due to the minimal requirements to stay current. Most of those guys seem to miss the fighter but have a hard time taking the pay cut to fly fighters in the ANG/Reserves, especially since AD is putting more and more requirements on those dudes to shoulder the deployment load. So only 2 days a month seems like a pretty good deal to them.

• Upvote 2

Just for expectation management, many fighter squadrons are seeing as many as a dozen current and qualified applicants for every opening and even more guys who are non-current.  The exodus is well under way and the guard/reserve is going to be hard pressed to able to accept even a portion of the influx of guys leaving AD.  When a handful of current instructor pilots are applying, hiring a guy the same age and rank (bigger deal in many units than you'd think) who basically is only 13 months timeline-wise ahead of their off the street applicants would be a tough justification.  As matmacwc said, you'll really need to focus on some of the units that have a tougher time keeping guys.  Even then, it would be pretty long odds of getting picked up, so I'd have more realistic backup options available.

On 9/11/2016 at 1:43 PM, Smokin said:

Just for expectation management, many fighter squadrons are seeing as many as a dozen current and qualified applicants for every opening and even more guys who are non-current.  The exodus is well under way and the guard/reserve is going to be hard pressed to able to accept even a portion of the influx of guys leaving AD.  When a handful of current instructor pilots are applying, hiring a guy the same age and rank (bigger deal in many units than you'd think) who basically is only 13 months timeline-wise ahead of their off the street applicants would be a tough justification.  As matmacwc said, you'll really need to focus on some of the units that have a tougher time keeping guys.  Even then, it would be pretty long odds of getting picked up, so I'd have more realistic backup options available.

What are the units that are having a tougher time to keep people in house? Thanks for the no BS answers guys, really appreciate it!