Unsponsored Board

On 8/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, shadow_pilot said:

Kleveling, I was picked up by the unsponsored board in early 2015. We were the first people that AFRC put through as unsponsored, although this program may have existed some years before. I was notified by my recruiter that I would be going to pilot training at Sheppard AFB, TX. I asked if that meant I was going to ENJJPT, and he responded, “what’s ENJJPT?” I didn’t know there was a slot available, and I certainly didn’t apply for it. My pilot score was 98, PCSM was 95 with over 200 flight hours.

Fighters were not my dream, and I really didn’t want to take that opportunity from someone that really wanted it. I went the helicopter route, and they sent me to Vance for my T-6s. I spoke with another unsponsored guy at Vance, and he said a notification went out that an ENJJPT slot had opened up, and they were all allowed to apply for it.

It might have been a one-time thing, or they might still have spots at ENJJPT open to unsponsored candidates.

@shadow_pilot When were you notified in the process that you were selected to go to ENJJPT? Was it after your FC1, in processing, OTS, etc? Thank you. 

Edited by Hopefulflyer389

11 hours ago, ayz33 said:

The RCP-R program just came out for CY2020 ROTC graduates.

If you want fighters, i'd discourage you from going this route. There aren't too many fighter units in AFRC, and once you have the AFRC slot, they wont let you switch over to guard. So think this one through. I was hired for last year's board and mainly went for heavies. Average scores for last year's board were in the mid to high 80s for PCSM and AFOQT-P. 80 hours, 3.2 GPA. Not terribly competitive.  To answer your questions, no these are not unit slots, they are AFRC slots. You'd be knocking on doors with a paid pilot slot in hand. And no you don't need to be sponsored. Of the 8 cadets who got it last year none were sponsored beforehand. You can stay unsponsored until drop night at UPT, at which point you'll be thrown where AFRC needs you, not RegAF. So you could go to ENJJPT unsponsored in hopes of getting sponsorship from an FS but I wouldn't put everything down on it. With that said my buddy who was also one of the eight got hired by fort worth. Anything's possible but If I wanted fighters I wouldn't have done this board because it crosses off the vast majority of options since you can't go guard.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Siegzy said:

If you want fighters, i'd discourage you from going this route. There aren't too many fighter units in AFRC, and once you have the AFRC slot, they wont let you switch over to guard. So think this one through. I was hired for last year's board and mainly went for heavies. Average scores for last year's board were in the mid to high 80s for PCSM and AFOQT-P. 80 hours, 3.2 GPA. Not terribly competitive.  To answer your questions, no these are not unit slots, they are AFRC slots. You'd be knocking on doors with a paid pilot slot in hand. And no you don't need to be sponsored. Of the 8 cadets who got it last year none were sponsored beforehand. You can stay unsponsored until drop night at UPT, at which point you'll be thrown where AFRC needs you, not RegAF. So you could go to ENJJPT unsponsored in hopes of getting sponsorship from an FS but I wouldn't put everything down on it. With that said my buddy who was also one of the eight got hired by fort worth. Anything's possible but If I wanted fighters I wouldn't have done this board because it crosses off the vast majority of options since you can't go guard.

Awesome information. Seems like my best bet would to to contact the 3 units i would like to fly for and see if i can get sponsored before i even submit on sept 30th. Do you think they'll be open to hiring so quick since its a slot that's already paid for ?

If your app package is already looking good then send it off, but I wouldn't sweat it yet. And having a paid slot in hand is a huge bonus. Mainly because units won't only talk to you only when they're holding a board; rather, you can talk to a unit any time and they'll be willing to set something up then and there if they're interested. That's been my experience. I was seeking heavies though so it's a bit different 

Edited by Siegzy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Stearman694 said:

Bump...

Anyone have info on which airframes the guys from prior years unsponsored AFRC Boards were assigned to? I know it's generally uncommon via unsponsored route, but any fighters out of it?

One guy with a special circumstance and some prior fast jet time got it. Another got T1 track initially but then got hired by a fighter unit and they switched his track before he started UPT. Those are the only 2 I know about. Could be more tho. 

• 2 months later...

First time on this site. Thanks for reading. 

I’m currently rushing fighter squadrons all around. I have competitive scores and resumes but I’m considering going Unsponsored or even active duty. 

Obviously, my biggest fear with going unsponsored is not getting fighters/bombers. Why is it hard to get into these squadrons/spots? I would think it would be easier if the squadron doesn’t have to use their upt pipeline spot on you...since the reserve is already paying for it. 

Question 1: If unsponsored, are you competing against sponsored board applicants for a position in the squadron? 

Question 2: Is it possible to apply for ENJJPT spot going unsponsored? 

Question 2a: if you get the ENJJPT sport and fly the 38 for training, how possible would it be to transfer to other squadrons if all is required is completing IFF and B course?

Thanks everyone, really happy I found this site can’t wait to catch up on all the discussions.

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

1 hour ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

First time on this site. Thanks for reading. 

I’m currently rushing fighter squadrons all around. I have competitive scores and resumes but I’m considering going Unsponsored or even active duty. 

Obviously, my biggest fear with going unsponsored is not getting fighters/bombers. Why is it hard to get into these squadrons/spots? I would think it would be easier if the squadron doesn’t have to use their upt pipeline spot on you...since the reserve is already paying for it. 

Question 1: If unsponsored, are you competing against sponsored board applicants for a position in the squadron? 

Question 2: Is it possible to apply for ENJJPT spot going unsponsored? 

Question 2a: if you get the ENJJPT sport and fly the 38 for training, how possible would it be to transfer to other squadrons if all is required is completing IFF and B course?

Thanks everyone, really happy I found this site can’t wait to catch up on all the discussions.

I’m unsponsored and currently in the pipeline. You automatically track T-1s and to guarantee a T-38 slot or ENJJPT you must have a sponsoring unit that requires you to train in the T-38. The issue that you’ll run into is that AFRC gets a few T-38 training slots per year and they’re normally all taken by sponsored trainees.

1) you don’t compete with sponsored applicants as they already have a unit

2) As unsponsored, ENJJPT is based on timing of slots and availability.

2a) that would be based on the unit airframe you get sponsored by

47 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

I’m unsponsored and currently in the pipeline. You automatically track T-1s and to guarantee a T-38 slot or ENJJPT you must have a sponsoring unit that requires you to train in the T-38. The issue that you’ll run into is that AFRC gets a few T-38 training slots per year and they’re normally all taken by sponsored trainees.

1) you don’t compete with sponsored applicants as they already have a unit

2) As unsponsored, ENJJPT is based on timing of slots and availability.

2a) that would be based on the unit airframe you get sponsored by

Thanks for the quick response! 

Is your ENJJPT or SUPT/UPT slot known before you sign? Will I know where I’m going to UPT at before I sign? 

• 3 weeks later...

Once a candidate has been accepted into the unsponsored training pipeline and is rushing squadrons, does he/she apply to squadrons who are seeking a rated candidate? For example, may I potentially apply to a reserve F-22 squadron rated board? Or must I compete to apply for UPT boards to get picked up and sponsored?

46 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Once a candidate has been accepted into the unsponsored training pipeline and is rushing squadrons, does he/she apply to squadrons who are seeking a rated candidate? For example, may I potentially apply to a reserve F-22 squadron rated board? Or must I compete to apply for UPT boards to get picked up and sponsored?

I’m 99% sure rated boards are only for those who are already winged and qual’d AF pilots. I’ve met some unsponsored candidates while rushing squadrons for their UPT boards.

Edited by mb1685

Rated board = already have wings. 

If you are picked up by AFRC unsponsored, you will need to rush reserve units. Fighter, heavy, whatever. You need to find a home. You'll likely be tracked heavies if you don’t find a fighter home (and there aren’t many in the reserves). Once you get to UPT if you still don’t have a home, the reserve LNO at the base will try to help you find one. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Does anyone know when the next un-sponsored AFRC board is?

Reserve boards are held every two months (next board is in July with a suspense of 30 June). I don't know if they only accept unsponsored applicants at certain boards or if they take them at every board alongside sponsored applicants, so this may not be helpful information. 

Does anyone know when the next un-sponsored AFRC board is?

According to the board manager, the AFRC is having an unsponsored board along with sponsored board until further notice. I personally asked the same question to my recruiter back in May and was told that the next unsponsored board was going to be in Sep which was false. So to answer your question, Sep is the next unsponsored board if you didn’t make the July board. Let me know if you need help with anything. Good luck.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, ViperChief720 said:

For those guys that have gone through the Unsponsored route have you seen any guys end up not getting sponsored right before track night? I'm worried that I would get stuck flying drones if I didn't get picked up.

It’s written out in the AFRC pilot board process that unsponsored pilots will be placed with a unit within 45 days of assignment night which could be a drone unit, so you do everything in your power to find a sponsoring unit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Asking for a friend who talked to a recruiter recently. It the past, if you went unsponsored and required no waivers, you could attend UPT w no unit sponsorship. You would have to find a unit by track nights or get sent to a unit. Recruiter said chief pilots at critically manned units complaint about the quality of pilots.... whatever that means and AFRC board has decided not to send anymore unsponsored applicants to UPT. You can still submit to the board and get a pre approval type.

can anyone confirm? 

• 6 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:56 PM, Siegzy said:

If you want fighters, i'd discourage you from going this route. There aren't too many fighter units in AFRC, and once you have the AFRC slot, they wont let you switch over to guard.

Sorry to bump a really old comment, but I came upon this while reading through various posts. Does this mean that for some reason it's easier to go fighters if you go ANG vs AFR? I thought Guard still fell under AFRC but wasn't sure after reading your comment. Thanks for the clarification. 

29 minutes ago, xwingexplorer said:

Sorry to bump a really old comment, but I came upon this while reading through various posts. Does this mean that for some reason it's easier to go fighters if you go ANG vs AFR? I thought Guard still fell under AFRC but wasn't sure after reading your comment. Thanks for the clarification. 

The guard is similar to the reserve in the sense that they are both 'part time' for most members. Where the guard differs is they also have an attachment to their respective state.

To answer your question, yes it is easier to go fighters for the guard when looking at it numbers wise. There are more ANG Fighter units than there are AFRC fighter units. In addition, if you go the unsponsored route, you track T-1s which automatically excludes you from going fighters.

https://www.goang.com/discover-ang/our-difference.html

13 minutes ago, flammable said:

The guard is similar to the reserve in the sense that they are both 'part time' for most members. Where the guard differs is they also have an attachment to their respective state.

To answer your question, yes it is easier to go fighters for the guard when looking at it numbers wise. There are more ANG Fighter units than there are AFRC fighter units. In addition, if you go the unsponsored route, you track T-1s which automatically excludes you from going fighters.

https://www.goang.com/discover-ang/our-difference.html

Thanks. Unsponsored leading to tracking T1s - is that a set / required thing? As in, that IS for a fact what you'll be tracking and then going on to heavies? In a couple other posts I was reading, people mentioned the possibility of going unsponsored and then trying to get picked up by a fighter unit. Admittedly it seemed unlikely since there arent many fighter reserve units, but it seemed possible unless there's more to it I'm not aware of ? Thanks. 

Thanks. Unsponsored leading to tracking T1s - is that a set / required thing? As in, that IS for a fact what you'll be tracking and then going on to heavies? In a couple other posts I was reading, people mentioned the possibility of going unsponsored and then trying to get picked up by a fighter unit. Admittedly it seemed unlikely since there arent many fighter reserve units, but it seemed possible unless there's more to it I'm not aware of ? Thanks. 
You can go unsponsored and get picked up by a fighter unit, and it that case you'll go through T-38s.

But if you don't find a sponsoring unit before a certain point in training (I can't speak to when, but it's before or at track select), you'll be sent to T-1s.

So it's not that going unsponsored locks you into T-1s, it's that T-1s are the default track unless you find a fighter unit sponsor early.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app