Jump to content
Baseops Forums

Recommended Posts

I am trying to get in on the unsponsored reserve board in Nov. I have not yet gone to Wright Patt for a physical and now my recruiter is telling me that the only way to get an appointment is if you are sponsored. "We were notified yesterday that no one is going to WP unless they are sponsored by a unit. Recruiting Service was paying the bill for the unsponsored to go to WP, and Reciting Service is now out of money for travel." Can anyone confirm this? If it is true, anyone have a good way to get sponsored in a month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding was that unsponsored candidates don't go to WP until after they are picked up by the unsponsored board. So you can probably apply to the unsponsored board without an FC1. Regarding unit sponsorship, usually it takes a unit about 2 weeks after the interview to offer a job to their preferred candidates, meaning unless you are interviewing in less than 2 weeks from today (and you would know by now if that was the case), it is not going to happen. 

My advice - don't freak out. Apply to the unsponsored board this November, otherwise try to get a sponsorship and apply to the June 2017 board. I was in a similar situation 1 year ago and got sponsored in mid-September, but you guessed it - I didn't do my FC1 until March so I applied to the June 2016 board and got selected that way. 

Edited by bb17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bb17 said:

My understanding was that unsponsored candidates don't go to WP until after they are picked up by the unsponsored board. So you can probably apply to the unsponsored board without an FC1. Regarding unit sponsorship, usually it takes a unit about 2 weeks after the interview to offer a job to their preferred candidates, meaning unless you are interviewing in less than 2 weeks from today (and you would know by now if that was the case), it is not going to happen. 

My advice - don't freak out. Apply to the unsponsored board this November, otherwise try to get a sponsorship and apply to the June 2017 board. I was in a similar situation 1 year ago and got sponsored in mid-September, but you guessed it - I didn't do my FC1 until March so I applied to the June 2016 board and got selected that way. 

Negative. You can be sent to Wright-Patt without being unsponsored, but they very well could be out of money. 

bb17 has been through the rest of the process (I haven't), so I'd take the rest of his statement as solid advice.

Edited by Kiloalpha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Just terrible timing for them to run out of money. I turn 28 this year. Dont really have much time left to rush a unit and earn a sponsorship. Was hoping that someone would tell me that my recruiter is a liar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FlatSpin said:

Thanks. Just terrible timing for them to run out of money. I turn 28 this year. Dont really have much time left to rush a unit and earn a sponsorship. Was hoping that someone would tell me that my recruiter is a liar.

Again, don't panic. I am 32 and still got selected! However, if you can get hired before turning 28.5 it will make life a bit easier for you since age waivers can be a little iffy. Verify with your recruiter but I'm still pretty sure you can apply to the unsponsored board (if they keep having them) without an FC1. Everyone I personally know who got picked up by the unsponsored board last year did the FC1 after being selected. Try to get hired that way so at least you get into the pipeline before 30 and you will have all throughout UPT to try to find a until to pick you up. Of course, if you do get a sponsor, then you are in even better shape. You have a very workable situation, just try to have the right attitude.  

Also regarding your recruiter - they (usually) don't seem to lie intentionally, but since things are always in flux it seems they very often have outdated or incorrect info. Also, keep in mind that Officer Accessions recruiters are working on application packages for doctors, layers, and other general officer applicants, so be mindful that their job is not really pilot-centric. It is really up to you to do your due diligence on everything. In my case I only dealt with a recruiter because they are required at certain parts of the process to push paperwork through. In a number of cases I just went around the recruiter and did things myself. She was not happy about that but I got it done. 

Edited by bb17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Thread bump-

     I'm attempting to go the unsponsored route and was wondering if anyone has been successful in going the unsponsored route and getting a fighter?

Seems highly unlikely, considering how few Reserve fighter units there are and how many well-qualified people apply for their boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Magic24 said:

Reserve applicants hired with a Fighter unit will definitely be sponsored. 

I should reword my question. Can being approved by the unsponsored board help one's chances of being picked up by a fighter unit in either the reserves or guard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guard is completely different. To my knowledge with getting accepted unsponsored by USAFR is they will send you to OTS and UPT in which you will ultimately need to find a unit. Reserve Fighter units will already have the guys they want, sponsor them, send them to all the training knowing they are coming back. Granted they have to make it through UPT, IFF, RTU.  Anyone who has additional uncle feel free to chime in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was unsponsored, and I got an ENJJPT slot. That's a guaranteed fighter/bomber track, but no guaranteed fighter. I continued to interview with units to procure my own sponsorship, and got picked up by a HH-60G (helicopter) unit while I was at OTS. Reserve Command gave me a choice: politely refuse the helo squadron, or leave ENJJPT and go to Vance/Rucker. 

Helicopters were my dream, so it wasn't a very hard decision for me- I took the helos. But a big contributing factor was the uncertainty of whether I would actually get a fighter, as opposed to a bomber. I could just see it: a BUFF to Barksdale! I was also concerned about being in a fighter unit and getting BRACked and/or switched to RPAs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this thread with some stupid questions.

Can anyone weigh in on the notion that going the unsponsored route is pretty unlikely to result in getting picked up by a Reserve fighter squadron? I saw a similar claim earlier in this thread but it would be great to hear more opinions/experiences.

I'm assuming it would be 100% impossible to go unsponsored and get hired by a Guard unit before Phase 3 of UPT, correct? Once you've commissioned and AFRC owns you, is there no chance in hell of being able to switch over and be gained by the NGB?

Is it possible to apply to the unsponsored board if you're an AD OTS applicant/select? I know that applying between different services at the same time isn't possible because only one branch can own your MEPS records at a time. Is it the same deal between Active and Reserve components of the same branch?

Edited by mb1685

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ANG and AD can't both have access to your MEPS records. I just fought that battle to get AD to release my MEPS records so I could proceed with my NGB application.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, GDAL said:

ANG and AD can't both have access to your MEPS records. I just fought that battle to get AD to release my MEPS records so I could proceed with my NGB application.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably PM about that if I happen to get selected by a Guard/Reserve unit.

Edited by mb1685

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

Thanks for the info! I'll probably PM about that if you if I happen to get selected by a Guard/Reserve unit.

Very good. Just to give you a rundown, I got accepted for a guard unit after accepting an active duty slot. I then had to submit a declination form to my AD recruiter. She ran that up the chain and it took about 2 weeks before they released my MEPS records. She was incredibly surprised that it was released that quickly. I've heard it can take months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, I am new to the flying squadron community. I am a current army helo pilot, CH-47s with 1000 hrs (two deployments - Afghanistan). I am approaching the end of my contract with the army in 6 months and I've been looking at going Air Force Guard/Reserve. Looking for a heavy unit. Unfortunately for me, I am 29 years old. I've been looking into going unsponsored, but I don't really know much about it. I recently took the AFOQT and TBAS. PCSM of 77 with a 87 Pilot. I have the hours so I am guessing I must of done really bad in the TBAS for score to decrease by 10 points. My college GPA was a 2.6 (Civil Engineering). I would hate to think my GPA is the reason why my PCSM score was low. My main concern now is that I am 29 years old and time is quickly ticking away. Should I retake both the AFOQT and TBAS or go ahead and apply as a unsponsored applicant? Also what are my chances of getting heavy unit? I love the cargo community. Am I gambling with what airframe I would get by going unsponsored? I would love to track C-17s or C130s.

Glad to hear I don't have to go to WP for a physical. The recruiter I've been talking to told me that my army FP wasn't good enough and that I needed to go up to WP for an FC1.

Any other suggestions or advice out there would be greatly appreciated it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Hello all, I am new to the flying squadron community. I am a current army helo pilot, CH-47s with 1000 hrs (two deployments - Afghanistan). I am approaching the end of my contract with the army in 6 months and I've been looking at going Air Force Guard/Reserve. Looking for a heavy unit. Unfortunately for me, I am 29 years old. I've been looking into going unsponsored, but I don't really know much about it. I recently took the AFOQT and TBAS. PCSM of 77 with a 87 Pilot. I have the hours so I am guessing I must of done really bad in the TBAS for score to decrease by 10 points. My college GPA was a 2.6 (Civil Engineering). I would hate to think my GPA is the reason why my PCSM score was low. My main concern now is that I am 29 years old and time is quickly ticking away. Should I retake both the AFOQT and TBAS or go ahead and apply as a unsponsored applicant? Also what are my chances of getting heavy unit? I love the cargo community. Am I gambling with what airframe I would get by going unsponsored? I would love to track C-17s or C130s.

Glad to hear I don't have to go to WP for a physical. The recruiter I've been talking to told me that my army FP wasn't good enough and that I needed to go up to WP for an FC1.

Any other suggestions or advice out there would be greatly appreciated it.

 

 

I got hired by a fighter unit and I’m 5 years older than you, almost an O4, with a break in service. Don’t sweat your AFOQT/PCSM score. Your age isn’t a huge issue, esp if you’re a warrant, depending on the unit. If you’re an RLO the rank can make a lot of units not want you, at least from my experience. Rush heavy units now, find contact info and cast your net wide. Get a resume/cover letter and just blast it to whomever you can. Join the pilot network on Facebook...some openings are mentioned there. Bogidope.com is another useful site for finding boards, along with this site, obviously.   

 

Not sure what gouge you have for not needing an FC1, but I don’t know any Army guys who have gone ANG/Res without going to wright patt. I have to do one soon. My UH-60 bro going HH-60s in the ANG has to do an FC1 (he barely passed the depth perception test at MEPS but has passed his Army flight physicals for 12 years...dice roll whether he will pass FC1). My OH-58D bro who got hired by a C17 unit had to do an FC1, where he failed the color vision test. So he’s back in the army guard flying LUH-72s. Another UH60 bro just did his FC1 (hired by a tanker unit). They were all active duty with no break in service. 

 

The accessions process takes a while, no matter how quickly you try to attack it. Start now, read these forums, and do what you can. If you can get a recruiter and go unsponsored you can start getting stuff in, but then you pretty much have to fly heavies (guess as a shythook guy you’re good with that). FWIW guard seems better than reserves, and from all the guys I’ve talked to that seems to be the consensus. But those are all sponsored/unit hire positions...no unsponsored guard board like the reserves. AFRC has the unsponsored route which may be the quickest/easiest path for you. My understanding is all unsponsored AFRC board selectees track T1s, so if you want heavies, you got them. 

 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info above. Glad to hear there's hope out there for Army guys looking to make the jump. I am currently an O-2 and could probably pin 0-3 sometime in 2019 if I was to stay in the Army as an RLO. I started my army aviation career as a warrant officer (which is why I am a 1000 LT). I regret saying this but every now and then I wish I would have kept my Warrant Dots. So if I was to go unsponsored, would I have to have to pass a FC1 prior to presenting myself to the board? Good luck with your FC1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Thanks for the info above. Glad to hear there's hope out there for Army guys looking to make the jump. I am currently an O-2 and could probably pin 0-3 sometime in 2019 if I was to stay in the Army as an RLO. I started my army aviation career as a warrant officer (which is why I am a 1000 LT). I regret saying this but every now and then I wish I would have kept my Warrant Dots. So if I was to go unsponsored, would I have to have to pass a FC1 prior to presenting myself to the board? Good luck with your FC1.

 

PM inbound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2017 at 11:40 AM, GDAL said:

ANG and AD can't both have access to your MEPS records. I just fought that battle to get AD to release my MEPS records so I could proceed with my NGB application.

Sorry, bumping - I have a MEPS appointment scheduled for next week with the ANG but I'm still trying to send apps to everyone. Should I cancel to prevent an issue if I get picked up by someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 11:39 PM, admdelta said:

Sorry, bumping - I have a MEPS appointment scheduled for next week with the ANG but I'm still trying to send apps to everyone. Should I cancel to prevent an issue if I get picked up by someone else?

Keep your MEPS appointment. It is "transferable." Just don't keep stringing your guys along for too long if you're planning on jumping ship anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the AFRES offer RPA slots on their unsponsored board?  That’s all I’m medically qualified for.  I’m on a remote tour now so rushing units for sponsorship isn’t really feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 7:48 PM, shadow_pilot said:

I was unsponsored, and I got an ENJJPT slot. That's a guaranteed fighter/bomber track, but no guaranteed fighter. I continued to interview with units to procure my own sponsorship, and got picked up by a HH-60G (helicopter) unit while I was at OTS. Reserve Command gave me a choice: politely refuse the helo squadron, or leave ENJJPT and go to Vance/Rucker. 

Helicopters were my dream, so it wasn't a very hard decision for me- I took the helos. But a big contributing factor was the uncertainty of whether I would actually get a fighter, as opposed to a bomber. I could just see it: a BUFF to Barksdale! I was also concerned about being in a fighter unit and getting BRACked and/or switched to RPAs. 

I'm not extremely familiar with how going through the unsponsored board, but how did you get a guaranteed fighter/bomber track with going this route? Can you compete for those slots going unsponsored and then just wait for a reserve unit to pick you up? I'm at a PCSM of 59 (Pilot 97 - No flight hours, but @ 201 I'd have PCSM of 95 which is what I tend to see hah..) and so currently I'd say just the score appears like I'd be at a disadvantage for fighter/bomber unit, but if given a chance then I would definitely prove myself worthy to be a fighter/bomber (A-10 would be the dream). So I'd be interested in your thoughts on if that's a valid idea to run with?

Also, another question - how much training do you go through when you go unsponsored? To my knowledge there is OTS, IFR, UPT, and then your specific airframe. I thought you could only go through OTS but obviously I could be mistaken here. I'll again mention I'm trying to go for a reserve slot if that makes any difference in your response. I appreciate your input in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kleveling, I was picked up by the unsponsored board in early 2015. We were the first people that AFRC put through as unsponsored, although this program may have existed some years before. I was notified by my recruiter that I would be going to pilot training at Sheppard AFB, TX. I asked if that meant I was going to ENJJPT, and he responded, “what’s ENJJPT?” I didn’t know there was a slot available, and I certainly didn’t apply for it. My pilot score was 98, PCSM was 95 with over 200 flight hours.

Fighters were not my dream, and I really didn’t want to take that opportunity from someone that really wanted it. I went the helicopter route, and they sent me to Vance for my T-6s. I spoke with another unsponsored guy at Vance, and he said a notification went out that an ENJJPT slot had opened up, and they were all allowed to apply for it.

It might have been a one-time thing, or they might still have spots at ENJJPT open to unsponsored candidates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...