Min Runway Length Question

HuggyU2

Weight bearing, including taxiways and parking are thought 1- is the field current in the ASRR/Giant Report?

Second- crash/fire/rescue- waiverable, but mandatory to consider.

Who says it has to have a current giant report?

Serious question-this was a topic of debate recently with a few other dudes.

To point two: if it's one takeoff and landing from each OG then CFR is not required under the exception for X number of TO/ldgs in 30 days or whatever. I'm on leave and not going to look it up.

At least in "my" AMC/AFRC heavies years, the Giant Report and a check of CFR are the items OGV or others would check if an OG or higher waiver were needed before pursuing and inking.

Items like signs too tall or close for some aircraft, existing waivers that may have expired or just acknowledging that the USAF has not eyeballed the field can come into play, better beforehand.

Even Oshkosh can feel like a shoehorn in and out of parking with a C-17 on a towbar.

Making sure there are no fees at a joint use or civilian field also makes the list, but not in this context of an airshow static.

Until it's parked and when restarted, it's just another use of the flying hours program.

Typically the airfield is handled like any off station training field not "approved" in your unit's in-flight/local transition training guide/list.

I get the attitude, but I've seen jets tear up runways just by backing on then-Los Cruces, NM on a hot day.  

Crew brought a new C-17 back to Germany with OEF Grapefruit rock damage and see MX try and say the crew erred- they did not.

I've done demos, slung folks n boats n stuff, played in the dirt, mostly in the rules- it did get silllier every year because as stuff happens the new pages stack up and none are removed.

Chit happens, surprises are rare, hopefully learned from and repeats avoided. Have likely 5 digits of static airshow visits in 20 years, by all means, go- but check the boxes. 

sts.

20 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Exactly.  I'm so glad I left AMC.  Those dudes are a whole new level of risk aversion and rules without reasons.

C-17s are the most risk averse community in AMC.  I'm surprised they even still have an AD qual.

I used to dig the oddball Mackall/Luzon days and nights.

Funniest was fighting a Q3 for slinging civilians into Proplayer Stadium in Miami at halftime of a Dolphins game.  

AMC called asking on a Friday, HALO the SOCOM team.  Met a brunch of nice retirees at Opa Locka.  RA on the Goodyear blimp, see ourselves on the jumbotrons, carrying a CHS local news crew.  Smiles all around.

Find out Monday someone big at AMC said we were Q3 for the civvies/retirees they tasked.  Took a few hours to quash.

VSP '07, with a smile.

Thanks for the replies.  Great information, as I had not considered a few of the aircraft mentioned.  

The airport is KREI and is at 1600' MSL.  I'm guessing the largest aircraft they could handle would be a C-130, just based on the limited parking.  That's probably a stretch too.  The M-28, U-28, T-6, and C-12 would be a hit.  

If any of you are interested in a one-day, cool SoCal show in May 2017, drop me a p.m. and let's see if we can make it happen.  

BTW... flyovers:  stage out of March ARB or KSBD, do flyover, then come to the party.  Two years ago, the Canadian Hornet Demo guy staged out of SBD, and they helicoptered him back and forth, since it is only about 5 nm away.  

23 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

No fighters at 4500' but they can land at March, done it.

Yup.  

But if your experiences are like mine, I'll take a military jet to a civilian field over a military field any day. 

Example: taking a T-38 into Eglin for gas. Then going to Million Air at Houston Hobby. The night and day differences stand out when you visit them just hours apart  

SBD would be my choice over RIV.