DD 214 Timeline

ClearedHot

Are you within a month from your retirement date?  I did my application a couple of months early and did not see a draft until the final month of my terminal leave, and the final DD-214 was provided to me the first business day after my effective retirement date.  I had to have AFPC correct a couple of omissions and errors, which took a couple of updates to the draft, so I would recommend reviewing the draft once it is available.

I screenshot everything when dealing with AFPC and here is the exact verbiage from the instructions they sent me:

" When you are within 15-30 days from your Retirement Effective Date, you’ll receive an email requesting that you review the updated draft
DD-214 worksheet. At this time, please review the DD-214 worksheet and select either the “Changes are Required” or “Document is
Approved”. For changes, ensure that you update the comments box (i.e., item 13. awarded retirement MSM, 4 OLC)."

Also, regardless of which base you are actually retiring, the DD-214 will say JBSA Randolph AFB TX.  Here was their response when I thought the retirement base was incorrect:

"Block 8b will be the full name of the base/facility where your separation documents are prepared. All DD Form 214's are now made official
here at AFPC and are updated to say JBSA Randolph AFB TX for all individuals retiring."

Hope this helps.

I filled out a request when I got my retirement orders. About a month prior to my retirement date they started asking if I had any corrections. 2 weeks prior I had the draft one and within 24 hours after the retirement date I had the final approved one.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Any thoughts on Block 18, "Remarks"... I've been contemplating putting in some of the areas that I was TDY to, just in case this "burn pit" thing affects me later in life.  Is there anything else I should, or even can, put in there? Working it on vMPF right now, I don't have a draft or anything else.  Any other "Gotchas" to pay attention to?

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Any thoughts on Block 18, "Remarks"... I've been contemplating putting in some of the areas that I was TDY to, just in case this "burn pit" thing affects me later in life.  Is there anything else I should, or even can, put in there? Working it on vMPF right now, I don't have a draft or anything else.  Any other "Gotchas" to pay attention to?

Absolutely put your TDY / deployments in there. I listed ‘deployed to Hostile fire Area (Iraq) from ###-###, deployed to Imminent Danger Area (Indian Ocean) from ###-###’, etc

Its important for things like you said (burn pits), but listing any hostile fire area, etc, can also affect various things once your out. 

*Edit: you probably don’t need to put every single TDY, but if you deployed to a combat zone, definitely. Or, if you spent 6 weeks at Nellis and went to Palominos every night, that might also have lasting impacts 🙂

Edited by Bigred

6 hours ago, Bigred said:

Absolutely put your TDY / deployments in there. I listed ‘deployed to Hostile fire Area (Iraq) from ###-###, deployed to Imminent Danger Area (Indian Ocean) from ###-###’, etc

Its important for things like you said (burn pits), but listing any hostile fire area, etc, can also affect various things once your out. 

*Edit: you probably don’t need to put every single TDY, but if you deployed to a combat zone, definitely. Or, if you spent 6 weeks at Nellis and went to Palominos every night, that might also have lasting impacts 🙂

Any push back on/requirement for providing "proof" to get it listed on the form?  Vouchers good enough, or mission histories required?

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Any push back on/requirement for providing "proof" to get it listed on the form?  Vouchers good enough, or mission histories required?

The only deployment I didn’t have DTS records for was my one boat deployment. The rest I pulled from DTS. I had them ready when I submitted my info but the clerk working my record never asked to see it for verification. 

If you have a paid travel voucher, LOE, Air Medal, etc from a base with a burn pit, that’s a viable source document. Plus when you get your medical records, make sure the post-deployment assessments PHA are in there showing where you went.

The VA also has a burn pit registry, make sure you register.