Motion to remove JQPublic Forum

nunya

I'd like to present a motion to remove the JQPublic Forum from BODN.  I think JQP started out with an excellent mission - an insider exposing the many faults of our great service.  However, I think it's very quickly morphed into a for-profit enterprise, with a diluted mission, and a very low signal to noise ratio.  And now a pop up to ask for money.  :flipoff:

Exhibit A: Nothing more than a PA press release

Exhibit B: Shameless paid advertising

Exhibit C: More shit not worth reading

Can I get a second?

• Upvote 7

In the meantime, if you're like me and have a bookmark to BODN, you can do this:

Click the arrow by My Activity Streams, Create New Stream

Under Content Types, Topics, and click the settings. 

Narrow by Forums, choose the forums you want to see in your New Content window.  Maybe you choose to not click Military Spouses.  Or JQP. 

Choose the other settings to display your forum feed how you like.  Oldest First, Newest First, First Unread, etc.

You can bookmark that stream so it's your new BODN homepage.

• Upvote 1

So it's not just me then...

The passion, style, and service-related humor of JQP when it started was phenomenal.  Enjoyed it as an experience and the work done on some issues like the Molly IP frame-ups was outstanding.

Now, it's clickbait.

No problems with a brother making a buck, but let me decide I want to spend the money not demand it as this auto-pop-up does now.

• Upvote 2

I guess I'll be the contrarian and say leave it. This is really the only place for people to engage in discourse "anonymously", vs commenting on FB posts, and I think there is a lot of value in that. If you don't like it, don't go to that sub-forum. :beer:

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Day Man said:

I guess I'll be the contrarian and say leave it. This is really the only place for people to engage in discourse "anonymously", vs commenting on FB posts, and I think there is a lot of value in that. If you don't like it, don't go to that sub-forum. :beer:

And I agree 100% with the need for anonymous discussion, debate, and argument.  That was the greatness of JQP at first.  Unfortunately, recently, there is very little there worth discussing.  Just look at the subsequent posts in most of his threads.  He's gone the quantity over quality route, with a marked change after the buyout was made public.  I wish him luck in his website, but I don't think it deserves its own home on our BODN. 

HOWEVER...   If (1) JQP is paying BODN rent for the traffic count pushed his way, or (2) if the same Ballistol posts that currently live in the JQP subforum will then migrate to other parts of the forum, then please do leave them in his subforum.  I can ignore his subforum.  It'll be harder if the same posts just move to the General forum.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Toro said:

I sent a PM to get him to respond, but I am inclined to remove it based on your posts.  I'll give it a day.

Concur.  It's not doing much on here other than promoting what is now a paid website.  While a few posts in that section generate discussion such as Top brass plan incentives to fix fighter pilot shortage and Internal Email Shows Air Force Pilot Shortage at “CRISIS” Level, the vast majority have zero responses.  I believe the intent was to discuss issues on BaseOps, as such it's not achieving that objective, so I would be agreement with removing it.  Most folks on here are aware of the blog, and if they're so inclined, they can follow it directly.  I don't see the purpose of repeating its topics on here, especially given how much it's changed...

• Upvote 7

I'm do believe JQP is in the middle of a move after finishing Law School, at least from info from people who know him personally. So that mig explain the drop off in quality content over the last 2 months. However, I agree the content is pretty useless especially compared to his previous articles.

On 8/5/2016 at 7:56 PM, nunya said:

HOWEVER...   If (1) JQP is paying BODN rent for the traffic count pushed his way, or (2) if the same Ballistol posts that currently live in the JQP subforum will then migrate to other parts of the forum, then please do leave them in his subforum.  I can ignore his subforum.  It'll be harder if the same posts just move to the General forum.

He's not paying anything.

12 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

Unless he's a forum sponsor, it shouldn't be here.

He's not. 

Originally, based off of content, I assessed it was a good idea to include a feed of JQP articles into a sub-forum so folks could continue in a semi-anonymous manner to provide feedback using BODN.

Now, based off of a lack of valuable content, I am removing said sub-forum. If you like his articles, favorite his page.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...