Chance at UPT for Female Civilian?

jgo91

First off, I know there are quite a few threads like this one, so thank you for reading mine and helping me out!

Here are a few things about me:

-25 year old female
-5'6" - fairly athletic
-3.89 GPA
-Taught health and PE for a couple years, then moved into the training field in the aviation industry
-No flight time, but have been studying pilot books, videos and could start PPL training if needed
-Highly motivated and dedicated personality - worked full time during college to pay my way through
-Haven't taken the AFOQT yet, but have been studying!

I have my sights set on being a fighter pilot for a few different reasons, but would just love to fly in the military period. I've also read that flight hours are not required, and sometimes not even preferred. However, I've read in multiple forums that this is greatly beneficial. Also, have any of you called/emailed/visited a unit before applying?

So, with all of this said, what would your suggestions be for next steps, and making myself as marketable as possible?

Thanks again!

You bet you can get picked up!  I recently met a great young lady that was selected to fly Eagles for a guard unit.  She was a civilian with some GA hours, and after talking to her for a bit, she was definitely an excellent candidate and deserved a spot!  Your GPA is awesome.  Knock out the AFOQT and start putting packets together for units.

You'll be fine. A few flight hours definitely won't hurt, but not always required. Are you trying to Guard/Reserve?

Totally reach out to units and find out if visiting if permitted and the procedure for doing so.

Pro-tip for life "Be a good dude/dudette."

Being a female is somewhere between being totally a non-issue or even a slight benefit if anything. Some of the coolest pilots I've met while rushing various units were female and the squadron I got hired by has a pretty high number of female pilots (I'd estimate about 20% based on the people I met).

Go ahead and do well on your AFOQT/TBAS and start applying right away, but consider trying to get your PPL in the meantime. It will show them that you have a basic commitment to aviation, and it will also help you confirm that you actually do like flying. I personally don't know anybody who got hired without having at least a PPL and many units do list it as a requirement to apply, but I have met people who have interviewed without having it. 

Having the right attitude, which it seems you have, is probably 90% of what it takes to get there. 

Good luck! 

Edited by bb17

Thank you for the advice! I don't know too much about the reserves, as I have just been looking into the ANG. But for the ANG, it sounds like the best plan is to continue studying for the AFOQT, try to get some flight time, take the AFOQT, then apply to a few different units. Are any of you currently ANG pilots? If so, any recommendations on great units? I'm currently in the Denver area, but would be willing to relocate.

17 hours ago, jgo91 said:

Thank you for the advice! I don't know too much about the reserves, as I have just been looking into the ANG. But for the ANG, it sounds like the best plan is to continue studying for the AFOQT, try to get some flight time, take the AFOQT, then apply to a few different units. Are any of you currently ANG pilots? If so, any recommendations on great units? I'm currently in the Denver area, but would be willing to relocate.

I spoke to Buckley earlier this year, and their UPT boards were cancelled for this year.  Hopefully you can get things lined up to at least give them a shot next year!

Not sure how most units are but I would strongly suggest getting at least some logged flight time. Like 10 hours or so. At the Guard unit I was stationed they wouldn't consider anyone who hasn't at least done some flying just to see that it was for them.