z7g9991111660001.jpeg

I found this link and am a bit worried. I can see everything easiery with my eyes opened, sitting 36 inches from the screen in a dark room like they do with the actual test. When I close one eye it takes a second for my eyes to adjust then I can read the 80/90 lines fairly easily. The red ones are a little more difficult for me. Can anyone say whether this is easier/harder than the actual test? I got hired for a UPT slot with a guard unit and am taking my FC1 in a couple weeks and am worried about this portion of it. Thanks to everyone!

The real test is easier I would say. The letters are much larger than your picture. I wouldn't worry about it. You can't change it either way.

9 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

FWIW, I think that picture is harder. The regular test is in a dark room with a screen and only one set of letters. That picture is far too cluttered and confusing. If you're seriously down to the 80/90 lines, you'll be fine. 

Kilo is correct.  This picture is harder than the actual test since nearly all color normal individuals can score 90/95+ on the CCT.  However, you can't compare this picture to the CCT as the true test has highly calibrated color co-ordinates (which are specifically chosen to isolate each retinal cone pigment type) and contrasts.  It's impossible to say whether this picture is an accurate representation.  That said, if you can see down to 80/90, that's a positive sign.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2016 at 11:29 PM, Duck said:

The real test is easier I would say. The letters are much larger than your picture. I wouldn't worry about it. You can't change it either way.

Thanks. Also, do you know if the depth perception test is that same circle one at MEPS? I did fine on that... but someone mentioned them potentially changing soon.

I failed my first depth perception test on the machine. The follow up test was much easier. I remember the guy remarking that it was not uncommon to fail that portion of the test. That was over 12 years ago so maybe they changed it?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I don't know how accurate this video is, but I found it online and wanted to share it on the forum for anyone who may be worried about passing the color portion of the flight physical (CCT) test. (I haven't taken the CCT, therefore, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this video, I stumbled on it via the "Konan Medical" website which seems to be the company that developed the CCT along with the Air Force: 

https://konanmedical.com/colordx-features-benefits/

I might be completely wrong about this, so if I am, I'll delete this post. I just figured it could help someone like myself, who struggles with color vision tests, get a sense of what the test looks like as I'm sure none of us have the correct monitors to accurately access our likelihood of passing. 

Also, there's a "C", which changes directions in this video, which differs from the letters as in the image above. I don't know what's up with that. You basically click on the region where the opening of the C points to, on a little 4 directional pad, and wallah it lets them know you can see that shade. Probably different from what the Air Force does, but it gives another perspective to the image above. 

Anyways, hope this helps someone. 

10 hours ago, gatsby said:

I don't know how accurate this video is, but I found it online and wanted to share it on the forum for anyone who may be worried about passing the color portion of the flight physical (CCT) test. (I haven't taken the CCT, therefore, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this video, I stumbled on it via the "Konan Medical" website which seems to be the company that developed the CCT along with the Air Force: 

https://konanmedical.com/colordx-features-benefits/

I might be completely wrong about this, so if I am, I'll delete this post. I just figured it could help someone like myself, who struggles with color vision tests, get a sense of what the test looks like as I'm sure none of us have the correct monitors to accurately access our likelihood of passing. 

Also, there's a "C", which changes directions in this video, which differs from the letters as in the image above. I don't know what's up with that. You basically click on the region where the opening of the C points to, on a little 4 directional pad, and wallah it lets them know you can see that shade. Probably different from what the Air Force does, but it gives another perspective to the image above. 

Anyways, hope this helps someone. 

This video is accurate.  The AF is not using the Konan device, however, the device being used is similar.  It uses a rotating Landolt C like you see in the video rather than letters as it makes the test more efficient.  You have ample opportunity to practice to ensure you understand the test before actually starting.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, stuckindayton said:

This video is accurate.  The AF is not using the Konan device, however, the device being used is similar.  It uses a rotating Landolt C like you see in the video rather than letters as it makes the test more efficient.  You have ample opportunity to practice to ensure you understand the test before actually starting.

Stuckindayton, you know a lot about this stuff! Do you see the AF adopting the OBVA CCT like the one in the video sometime soon? I have read some buried AFRL reports stating that they think the Rabin CCT is flawed because clinics use regular, non standardized PC monitors.

"Because the current Rabin CCT uses inexpensive displays, the colors will be less stable over time and across different devices than a high-quality monitor. The OBVA CCT mitigates these problems by using a high-quality inplane-switching monitor, which has stable colors over wide angles and over time."

source: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a635957.pdf

I hope not.  The Konan CCT takes longer to run and it occasionally fails people who have normal color vision because it penalizes a person so severely when they miss a stimulus they should have seen (i.e. finger error, brain fart- you press left when you meant to press right).

The Rabin CCT is calibrated every week to ensure the monitors are producing the correct colors.  So, if the monitor drifts slightly over time, the software adjusts the color to get the desired output.

Edited by stuckindayton

• 6 months later...

Good evening @stuckindayton - I have seen you on the forums and have been very helpful to others!  

I am able to pass the PIP test like others - and got 100s on the blue / red - but today left eye was ~45 and right eye was ~50 for green.  I saw your post about 55 being the waiver - do you know if I'll be able to re-test tomorrow or have any other options when I see the flight doc?  Everything else came back perfect for me.

I am on RPA track for a guard unit - is there a different standard "FCI" that is less strict for this track? Any advice would be appreciated - 6 year prior service staff sergeant, private pilot.  Thank you!