Flying Videos Thread Part 2?

Slick

Great restraint by this Eagle driver. It must have been tempting to have pulled up and rolled back inside the turn.

Russian propaganda version

https://youtu.be/i7iyDCchsg8

British tabloid version

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1853224/Russian-fighter-jet-banking-USAFs-plane-Baltic-sea.html

Edited by Steve Davies

6 hours ago, fou said:

I don't know anything about HALO, but what altitude is considered high?  When do you need O2?

High-Altitude Low-Opening (HALO) operations are jumps made with an exit altitude of up to 35,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) and a parachute deployment altitude at or below 6,000 feet above ground level (AGL).  HALO infiltrations are the preferred MFF method of infiltration when the enemy air defense posture is not a viable threat to the infiltration platform. HALO infiltrations require the infiltration platform to fly within several kilometers of the drop zone (DZ).

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Cool mini doc featuring an American photo recce Spitfire pilot. 

Protip: view in YouTube app/website so you can use the subtitle function. That dude’s Bay Area standard-issue voice is hard to listen to. The subtitles are spot on though, so it’s easy to see where YouTube’s algorithm learns its words.

• 3 weeks later...

10 hours ago, matmacwc said:

C-17 bird strike in Australia on 2 March, mute the rediculous is music, 1st strike at 25 seconds.  I’m sure it was toxic leadership or something.

“It’s truly a magnificent fart once it’s in the air”

Edited by b52gator

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 10:27 AM, matmacwc said:

Was he the one with reversed controls?

No, that was on 30 May 1995 when Major Donald Lowry of the 53FS/52FW, was killed when his F-15C (79‑0068) crashed immediately after taking off from Spangdahlem AB in Germany. Investigation showed that during routine maintenance, mechanics had crossed and mis-connected the control rods. Two mechanics were charged with negligent homicide. One took his own life during his military trial. After the amazing revelation that over-zealous prosecution had cost another life, the charges against the other mechanic were dropped (Source)

Jackson's story goes like this...

On March 9, 1987, Gene "Tornado" Jackson was taking off in F-15A, sn 77-075, when a rudder malfunction caused an uncommanded roll. It is believed one of the Aileron-Rudder Interconnect hydro-mechanical units failed. Reportedly he was told to eject on several occasions, but refused, stating the aircraft was too unstable and every time he released the controls, the aircraft started rolling towards base housing. He fought the aircraft until it was no longer a threat to anyone, but was unable to eject in time to save his own life.

Twenty three years later the following was published in the Lufkin Daily News, on November 11, 2010;

An unexpected letter reminded a former Lufkin man of the impact his brother's military death made more than 20 years ago. Refusing to eject out of a doomed fighter jet, Air Force Lt. Col. Gene Jackson protected the lives of others on the ground at the price of his own.

When Jackie Jackson came home to see a letter addressed to his mother who died 12 years ago, he thought there must be some sort of mistake. It sat untouched for more than a month before Jackson and his father, Joe, of Lufkin, opened it.

The letter sent by a man named James Maddox from Palmyra, N.Y., read:

Dear Louise Jackson,

I was stationed at Holloman Air Force Base on March 9, 1987, when your son, Gene Jackson, died heroically. He was told to eject from his F-15, but he refused, stating the aircraft was too unstable and every time he released the controls, the aircraft started rolling towards base housing. He fought the aircraft until it was no longer a threat to anyone, but was unable to eject in time to save his own life. I consider him a hero.

Ms. Jackson, I was there in front of my base housing that day. I saw it happen. His F-15 touched the roof of my house when he was holding on. One of the lives he saved was my own life.

I think about it every day. I do not consider myself worthy enough for him to have given his own life. I have ‘survivor's guilt' so badly. I am so sorry about the loss of your son.

I have guilt that he died so heroically. I am grateful to still have my life, but I feel guilty every day that he died instead of me. Even though your son was a Lt. Col, he was the only officer I ever met that respected the Air Force enlisted people.

He would talk to me without talking down to me like other pilots. He treated me with respect and care. I have the highest respect for Lt. Col. Gene Jackson.

Thanks for raising a true American hero,

James Maddox

Jackie Jackson said he and his father were truly touched by the letter. While they have long since came to terms with Gene's death, they were touched someone would be thoughtful enough to thank the family of someone who gave everything. Gene left behind a wife and three small children...  (Source)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...