Guard members flying / working for foreign companies

Question came up in recent discussion with an old friend and I really didn't have an answer.

He's flown charter, skydive aircraft, did the whole CFI thing for a little while, and is now flying CRJs with one of the regionals. On the quest to step up to the majors, he's also been scoping out some of the common foreign employers: Emirates, Korean Air, etc. He's had in mind to apply to a few Guard units as well and was wondering if the idea of working for a foreign company is even allowed while serving. Of course there are many considerations with such an idea: age limit, traveling back and forth overseas, employer's willingness to accommodate Guard commitment, deployments, etc ... but the question is just hypothetical for now.

Anyone here dealt with this before? Or at least know someone that's flown, or even just worked for a foreign company while in the Guard? I fly on the helo side of the house so other than general knowledge on the standard airline employment process, I honestly don't know if this is a common question with the fixed-wing Guard bros.

Whatever insight you guys have on the topic will be appreciated.

---

PK...

My gut feeling is that would be a huge problem.  I have friends who sat outside the vault for 6+ months because their brother owned property in South America or  they had lived in China at one point as a kid (as in YEARS before even entering the military).  When they ask the question, "do you have any interests in a foreign country?" he has to answer yes, big red flag for the investigators, even though it's something as innocent as flying for Korean Air.  It may not be insurmountable, but it almost certainly will be a massive headache and at best case.  I think if he wants both airlines and guard, he needs to stick with an American company.

Edited by brabus