Kc-10 pilots single ear headsets

mrgrey

Cockpit noise is generally less than 85 dB. Interphone use in the cockpit is optional...so the one ear DCs are used as a replacement for the really nice Telex in-ear headsets.

The DCs are heavy and stupid looking. Bring back the Telex (less than 1 oz)!

David Clark is currently testing a one-ear version of the DC Pro (http://www.go-dcpro.com/passive-headset-features). There are a couple test sets floating around both McGuire and Travis. A lot lighter than the current DCs, so we'll see if they decide to market them. I personally am not a fan of the Telex. Definitely miss the Bose A20 from my previous jet.

The KC-10 comm system uses a non-standard PJ-051 plug, that as far as I know is not used on any other military aircraft. While many commercial aircraft have similar one-ear setups since their cockpits have decent noise insulation, the -10 fleet is limited to either the specific DC or Telex options due to that plug. The jet basically has a bunch of military equipment shoehorned into a FAA-cert'd airframe, so without going into a big history lesson, this is one of the "solutions."

Edited by jango220

I tried the Dave Clark single-ear several times during a week-long trip, when they first became available (the other boom on the crew was one of the first in the SQ to get one... little scammer).  I didn't like the way one ear was dead-quiet except for radio calls, and the other ear dealt with all the cockpit noise (some of the jets have a lot more ventilation system flow noise than others, for some reason) along with the crew communication.  Dealing with that aural difference gave me a nasty headache after about an hour, but it's possible that my pre-existing hearing damage had something to do with it.  I much preferred my in-ear Telex, with the molded plastic earpiece the dental hobby shop cast for me.

I will say the DC made hearing radio calls very easy, even when the radios were... challenging... but for me the headache-induced negative SA outweighed the positive SA of hearing radio calls easier.