Title 10 backing up retirement pay

I know that in the guard, every 90 days of title 10 order backs up the date you start collecting retirement. so for guard babies, they might have as much as 4-5 years and can start collecting way earlier. how about for a guy that palace chases, has been on active duty for 12 or so years and then goes into the guard. does any of our active duty time (deployments, formal schools) also count towards that and back up the date i can start drawing retirement pay? someone said no but i asked its like getting a signing bonus, usually it depends on the person you talk to and the way the regs are interpreted. is this an in depth researched fact? its just weird a guard guy would get title 10 time going to IP school and the 7 formal school i went to dont count for shit. i guess i am lucky to have all the points from active duty time but would love to start collecting even earlier if it is an option

Nope, prior active duty time does not count. I don't have the reference handy, but it basically says "active duty time served as a reservist or guardsman". Trust me, I'm a guy on the Internet. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chizz, unfortunately I believe you are SOL on backing up the retirement pay. But your efforts aren't a total loss, just remember that point a day you are receiving for those days. I've been retired for, shit, five years....how time flies, so there are a few cob webs but seems like I remember some clause that the time to back up retirement pay had to actually be in direct support of the war. In other words, actually in the sandbox. Seems like this was all started as an effort to encourage volunteerism to deploy to the shitholes for extended periods. I've killed many brain cells so I may be wrong on that part. Well, let me get back to my drink now. 

This link has pretty much all the relevant info about how AD time in the Guard/Reserves impacts when you can start drawing pay.  It's pretty extensive, otherwise I'd just copy-paste.

BL: If you serve on AD for at least 1x 90-day chunk during an FY while in the ARC, you can backup you're retired pay date by 90-days x number of chunks.  No longer needs to be 90 consecutive days.  Training counts.  See link above for full details.

Edited by nsplayr

The upside is your retirement points will dwarf other guardsmen's retirement points. You'll be drawing a much larger retirement check than those that were a traditional for their entire career.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been retired for, shit, five years....how time flies, so there are a few cob webs but seems like I remember some clause that the time to back up retirement pay had to actually be in direct support of the war. In other words, actually in the sandbox. Seems like this was all started as an effort to encourage volunteerism to deploy to the shitholes for extended periods.

They changed that a couple of years ago and it's any active duty orders (excluding annual tour), and they don't even have to be TDY. So for example last year I did over 100 MPA days, which made me eligible for a 90 day early retirement. Unfortunately it's only 90 day increments though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Thread revival, has anyone from the guard had any luck converting their UPT orders from title 32 to title 10?  I went to UPT from Feb 08 to Mar 09 which is right after the reduced retirement rules went into effect.  However, I'm not sure when they started sending people from the Guard to UPT in title 10 status.  I've heard of some success but based on past experience with people on my base, I'm sure it's going to be a battle. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, Hank Burley said:

Thread revival, has anyone from the guard had any luck converting their UPT orders from title 32 to title 10?  I went to UPT from Feb 08 to Mar 09 which is right after the reduced retirement rules went into effect.  However, I'm not sure when they started sending people from the Guard to UPT in title 10 status.  I've heard of some success but based on past experience with people on my base, I'm sure it's going to be a battle. 

The ANG workday AFI states that UPT WILL be completed on title 10 orders.  So maybe you can use the reg to get them changed?

5.3.5. All ANG members attending Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT) programs and Professional Military Education (PME) will attend in a Title 10 status

The ANG workday AFI states that UPT WILL be completed on title 10 orders.  So maybe you can use the reg to get them changed?  

5.3.5. All ANG members attending Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT) programs and Professional Military Education (PME) will attend in a Title 10 status

Good luck with that. They change the ANG workday guidance annually to fit their needs. I doubt they will backdate orders if the workday guidance or policies at that time dictated that upt was done in title 32.

On two separate occasions during a recent deployment, finance interpreted the reg in a way that was advantageous to the government and disadvantageous to the individual.  On their own it might have made sense...but looked at together, you see that they completely contradicted themselves on the two decisions.  It was then that it became crystal clear that they will "interpret" the reg however it suits them.   All this to say, good fucking luck!  My 20 can't get here fast enough, I'm so ready to leave this dumpster fire behind!  

Edited by SocialD

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 11:15 PM, Intogamer said:

Like most (if not all) military guidance and programs, right time right place  or you get screwed completely. :bash:

That's why I try to always dig in the regs to see if can benefit myself and others in my section as I am still learning the guard way.  Turns out I have uncovered multiple issues that have been done wrong for a long time.