Brexit

Clark Griswold

I had dinner with a Brit the other night. Some of the stories he told me of the EU courts overturning local rulings really put into perspective that the EU has morphed into something different than intended.

I think the Brits will be better off in the long run not having to adopt the immigration rulings and economic problems.

I also think this will be good for the UK in the long run.  But it will probably be very difficult for them in the short term.  It'll be even more interesting to see who follows suit (France) now that a precedent has been set.

Wow, the level of ignorance here is staggering.  Okay, many seem to know a little something about this, but some of you claiming to be totally surprised is unexpected (my expectations of officers being higher than is realistic).

This will affect Americans, and will affect (or reflect) our election.

Cheers

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Wow, the level of ignorance here is staggering.  Okay, many seem to know a little something about this, but some of you claiming to be totally surprised is unexpected (my expectations of officers being higher than is realistic).

Cheers

So a little extra money in the short term (estimated to cost the average Brit around 3000 pound sterling) is worth your right to control your borders, laws, economic policies i.e. the most basic elements of your national sovereignty?  Good thing nobody fought like hell and sometimes gave their life for something like that...

MasterBofB1500TitlePage.jpg

The EU like all Globalist dreams is fundamentally flawed as it ignores the damage done to the working & middle classes of the developed world while simultaneously depriving the developing world of its best and brightest that could turn their countries around. 

• Upvote 3

Cheers

So tired of the "you need to educate yourself" argument that seems to be all the rage these days. Run out of logic, just accuse your opponent of being a nitwit. Speaking of, the content between your parenthesis is missing a word or I am the nitwit cuz I have no idea what you are talking about regarding "officers being higher than".

If you would like to bring something to the table, by all means, dispense your knowledge so that we may behold thine wisdom. In the mean-time, I'm going to read the opinions of those who can offer insight to this forum and have bqzip's mom make me another sammich.

• Upvote 8

Very interesting times.   I've heard this being compared to the biggest thing to happen in Europe since the fall of the wall in 89, especially when considering the after effects.   If the UK leaving has resulted in this much turmoil, to me it means a few things.  One, the EU was very dependent on the UK.   Two, the UK is a strong country and economic power.

Trade deals will be renegotiated, measures will be made for those UK citizens working in the EU and vise versa.  There will not be mass deportations of working people across the EU.  The EU has a lot to lose and very little to gain by 'punishing' the UK.  If Scotland decides to leave the UK, they will become another Greece in the EU.  

14 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Cheers

8 hours ago, sqwatch said:

Speaking of, the content between your parenthesis is missing a word or I am the nitwit cuz I have no idea what you are talking about regarding "officers being higher than".

I could be wrong, but I think he's trying to say he has unrealistic expectations of the officer corps' ability to understand current events and consider unexpected outcomes. On the specific point of being surprised that the UK voted to exit the EU, I'm willing to bet that even David Cameron was taken aback. Polling the week prior indicated that ~75% of the public supported remaining in the EU.

On the second point, I have no idea what he's trying to say. As written, he states that BREXIT will "[reflect] our election". So an event that just happened reflects one in the future? Maybe he meant our current election cycle and associated political noise influenced the voting public in the UK? If that's the case, I'd say that is indeed possible.

Bottom line, if you're going to pass yourself off as enlightened, at least use proper grammar. Everybody knows that effective written communication is essential to being a credible pompous ass. 

BTW, that was a nice use of "Cheers!" at the end, it really cemented the overall douchiness of the post.

• Upvote 4

I'm surprised at the lack of hand wringing on the EU side.  The 5th wealthiest country in the world is leaving your club because you are impinging on their sovereignty and their counter argument is the unknown is scary?  Brussels will need to makes some concessions soon, or their will be more than rumblings of other countries leaving.

1 hour ago, NKAWTG said:

I'm surprised at the lack of hand wringing on the EU side.  The 5th wealthiest country in the world is leaving your club because you are impinging on their sovereignty and their counter argument is the unknown is scary?  Brussels will need to makes some concessions soon, or their will be more than rumblings of other countries leaving.

Too late.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/the-brexit-contagion-how-france-italy-and-the-netherlands-now-wa/

They may have gotten out (or at least had the vote to get the people's opinion on the record) before thing really get all New World Order...

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/24/european-ministers-lay-out-explicit-plan-to-create-united-states-of-europe/

Could be a tin-foil hat generated rumor but I don't think the machine that is/was the EU would just be satisfied with putting the tip in... sts...

Methinks that European Regional Blocks of sovereign nations (political, economic, defense, etc...) coordinating and supporting each other at that level and then the Regional Blocks coordinating and working with each other on the few really big transnational issues that affect them all (defense, terrorism, intelligence sharing, etc...) is more feasible... a North Sea Block of British Isles and Scandinavian countries working with a Polish and Baltic Block on fishing rights; a Central European Block working with a Caucasus Block on refugees and illegal migration, etc...  just a two cent opinion from an American looking in.. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2016 at 10:27 AM, Spoo said:

I could be wrong, but I think he's trying to say he has unrealistic expectations of the officer corps' ability to understand current events and consider unexpected outcomes. On the specific point of being surprised that the UK voted to exit the EU, I'm willing to bet that even David Cameron was taken aback. Polling the week prior indicated that ~75% of the public supported remaining in the EU.

On the second point, I have no idea what he's trying to say. As written, he states that BREXIT will "[reflect] our election". So an event that just happened reflects one in the future? Maybe he meant our current election cycle and associated political noise influenced the voting public in the UK? If that's the case, I'd say that is indeed possible.

Bottom line, if you're going to pass yourself off as enlightened, at least use proper grammar. Everybody knows that effective written communication is essential to being a credible pompous ass. 

BTW, that was a nice use of "Cheers!" at the end, it really cemented the overall douchiness of the post.

Thank you, at least one person understood (and cared enough to repair) my retarded level of behavior.  Also, to be called out (sts) by someone from Beale - is an honor, thank you (seriously).

Interesting that, I was able to write in such an overarching and confusing manner as to make some think I was against the Brits "exiting."  Not my intention.  To most of you, I apologize.

Let me leave you with the latest headline: European SUPERSTATE to be unveiled: EU nations 'to be morphed into one' post-Brexit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

Cheers  Best wishes...

Guest LumberjackAxe

Sort of off topic, but how exactly would a Texit turn out? They have a huge economy all on their own, but if the federal government left (NASA, military, etc...), then wouldn't it just be tied to oil? Everyone knows that having your economy dependent on oil isn't the best thing.

It kind of reminds me of that brief push for separating California into six different states, which sounds better on paper I think, especially when you consider the nightmare that mundane details like water rights would become.

6 hours ago, gearpig said:

I've see they've dialed up the insults and nastiness to 11. Reminds me of watching a narcissist desperately trying to save face after being publicly rejected.

I haven't seen an Ann Coulter or Trump response.  But I'm sure they'd be reasoned, articulated responses with no sarcasm or humor intended.

3 hours ago, gearpig said:

In the video, he says "Nigel Farange spends hours trying to insert his penis into his own asshole" and "David Cameron tried to fuck a dead pig's mouth."

I'm not sure if you'd say those statements were unreasonable, inarticulate, sarcastic, or humorous... but I think it's unreasonable to say we could expect anything of the sort from Trump, Coulter, or anyone else, for that matter.

Unreasonable: no

Inarticulate: no

sarcastic: yes, no.. maybe

humorous: yes

Well, the last conservative Vice President did tell someone to go fuck themselves in the Senate Chamber.  The pig fornication thing does have some legs.

Trump's said enough unreasonable, inarticulate, non-sarcastic and funny/not-funny stuff he's in his own little world.

The parrot-faced former-Brit a political satirist, so is Ann.  She's also used that dirty f-word from time to time, but she puts in the "--" so I guess that shouldn't really count?  She's also funny.  

But, I grew up watching this, perhaps my sense of humor's a little skewed -