TDY Travel Question

I'm an ART going on a centrally funded (RPA from AFRC) TDY (on the other side of the country) for ~160 days. I would like to drive, so I would have my car to use at the TDY location. However, I am being told that I only get one travel day because I have to travel via commerical air. 

I have scoured the JFTR and I can not find a way around this. Per the JFTR, the AO can designate a mode of travel that is most advantageous to the government, in this case commercial air, and the member, again per the JFTR, only gets one travel day. 

Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation? I would really want to have a car at my TDY location for obvious reason (getting from billeting to work, bilelitng to the BX/commisary, R&R on the weekends etc). 

Do I burn my civilan leave to travel?  If so how much? 8 hrs a day? (I plan on driving 10-12 hrs per day) Do I just suck it up and not get any pay for the 4 day trip? What happens if I am in a car accident? 

Thanks in advance for any help

32 minutes ago, guineapigfury said:

Can you burn some military leave en route?  Also, sounds like your headed to Hollomam.  If so, you can walk everywhere on base.

I have been told "No". I some leave left from a previous set of RPA orders but, I have been told that I can not take that leave until day 31 of my new set of RPA orders (Basically, I cant go on RPA just to take leave). 

If you mean GS civilan Mil leave, then no as well since I dont have any mil duty to perform while on mil leave. 

The major problem is, that my RPA orders dont start until Report date minus travel...which is one day. 

If I was on active duty, I could just reach into my leave bank and take as many days as I have leave to travel. But, said leave bank does not exist for me...until day 31 of my orders. 

• 2 weeks later...