Thunderbird AND Blue Angel Crash?

7 hours ago, Azimuth said:

One way to meet the POTUS...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"hey, sir....I know we're in a budget crunch, so I just really wanted to apologize for the $20 million aircraft in the field over there."

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Ram said:

Rumor mill says that Nellis has been told not to expect the T-Birds at this year's November show. Has the T-Birds season been canxed?

Most likely, that rumor would only be true if #1 was released from the team. The other positions can be replaced in short order. When Smack Mack was fired, they brought Lefty Arlinghaus back.  Movers were at his house, and everything came to a stop. He got back up to speed pretty quick, even though he went from 2 years as a Solo, and into the Diamond. That happened late April, and I seem to recall they were back on schedule in mid June. 

Edited by HuggyU2

42 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Damn - had not heard of that crash, very rough week.

Canadian Snowbirds did a great line abreast missing man formation for Blue Angels #6

http://www.avgeekery.com/no-greater-friend-canadian-snowbirds-fly-missing-man-formation-honor-fallen-blue-angels-6/

One other addition:

Fat Albert flew him home with a fly over of P-Cola and down the beach with #5 on the wing, Godspeed...

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/military/2016/06/07/blue-angels-fat-albert-fly-pilots-body-home/85550446/

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Most likely, that rumor would only be true if #1 was released from the team. The other positions can be replaced in short order. When Smack Mack was fired, they brought Lefty Arlinghaus back.  Movers were at his house, and everything came to a stop. He got back up to speed pretty quick, even though he went from 2 years as a Solo, and into the Diamond. That happened late April, and I seem to recall they were back on schedule in mid June. 

Smack will still make sure you know he was a Thunderchicken within 5 mins of meeting him, at least as of a few years ago. No shame and no humility whatsoever.  Someone please tell me he's not around anymore. 

Yes, he hit another jet in the Diamond at the Patrick Airshow early in the season. I have no idea if there was a documented problem earlier, or if it was a one mistake policy. 

Edited by HuggyU2

11 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Smack will still make sure you know he was a Thunderchicken within 5 mins of meeting him, at least as of a few years ago.

Can confirm this from his time at Vance. That being said morale seemed to be pretty good (not sarcasm) while he was the wing King. 

He was a great sq/cc at xl when I was there back in 04. Never let me know he was a t-bird until I asked him how it was (ignorant of events)

Me- how was the Thunderbirds?

Smack- good deal I enjoyed the time there.... So you wanna fly vipers?

Me- Fvck yes.

And fvck yes were the last words I spoke to him. Seems like those words carried him through the rough times in to high end leadership jobs. You're welcome.

Why can't I cuss yet. I'm old balls and it's what we do

Some pictures from the memorial for Capt Kuss here in Durango, CO:

http://www.durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DU&Date=20160611&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=610009999&Ref=PH/Marine-Capt-Jeff-Kuss-comes-home#/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DU&Date=20160611&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=610009999&Ref=PH&Item=1&NewTbl=1&MaxH=400

http://www.durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DU&Date=20160611&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=611009999&Ref=PH/Kuss-memorial#/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DU&Date=20160611&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=611009999&Ref=PH&Item=22&NewTbl=1&MaxH=400

I just happen to be here in Durango on a fire assignment and missed the memorial because we were out flying a fire, but word from those were around is how respectful everyone was as the precession made its way through town. It is a big deal to the people here even during the busy tourist season. Fat Albert just left today and I think the Hornets staged out of GJT. 

RIP Capt Kuss

• Upvote 1