Thunderbird crash, pilot reported ok

Day Man

On 6/6/2016 at 7:25 AM, pawnman said:

Time for that entire state to fall into the ocean, and I'm from there.  This gem from the article....

"It's about the terror that they cause in people when they strafe neighborhoods. That's something I hear about all the time when Blue Angels fly overhead," Supervisor John Avalos told the SF Gate.

I think somebody needs to buy that dickbag a dictionary.

So demonstration teams should be cancelled because there is a rare chance that they might crash and cause injury or loss of life?  I guess we need to shut down SFO.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214.  Asshole.

On June 5, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Ram said:

Do the math, di1630:

Take the number of throttles in your cockpit,

Multiply that by the number of ejection seats.

Then take THAT number and multiply it by the number of vertical stabs.

If your final product is anything greater than one, you play the skin flute.

If your final product is less than one, you're a God damn sexual Tyrannosaurus, swinging dick Air Commando, U-28 driver.

Edited by Danger41
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, F16Deuce said:

http://afthunderbirds.com/site/2016/06/13/thunderbirds-return-to-2016-demonstration-schedule/

All is well, return all "jump to conclusions" mats to the closet.  Hate to say I told you so.....

I think it's good to avoid jumping to ANY conclusions.

Since neither the SIB or AIB reports are anywhere near complete, aren't you sort of doing just that?  Isn't it possible that the unique mission of the T-clones doesn't really allow the option for a knee-jerk grounding for 30 days while the investigations proceed.  Maybe the powers that be are assuming innocence until guilt is proven (as it should be) and allowing the squadron to get their season back on track.  While I truly hope you're correct, assuming all is now well simply because they're flying again seems a bit premature, IMO.

• 7 months later...

http://www.acc.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/5725/Article/1029543/f-16cm-thunderbird-accident-investigation-released.aspx

A throttle trigger malfunction and inadvertent throttle rotation resulted in an F-16CM being destroyed upon impacting the ground south of Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado, June 2, 2016, according to an Accident Investigation Board report released today.  The Thunderbird pilot ejected and sustained a minor injury.

The mishap occurred after a flyby of the United States Air Force Academy graduation in Colorado Springs. The F-16CM was part of a six-ship formation from the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the Thunderbirds.

After beginning landing procedures, the pilot inadvertently rotated the throttle, placing it into an engine cut-off position.  Normally, this full rotation cannot occur unless a throttle trigger is affirmatively actuated or pressed.  However, the throttle trigger was “stuck” in the “pressed” position.  The accident investigation board observed debris accumulation in the throttle trigger, combined with wear on the trigger assembly. 

Once the engine cut-off occurred, the aircraft immediately lost thrust.  The pilot attempted engine restart procedures, but restart was impossible at the low altitude of the aircraft.  The pilot safely delayed his ejection until he navigated the aircraft to a grass field.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Breckey said:

The aircraft wasn't that badly damaged considering it was an actual lawn dart.

badly damaged enough that I've heard they're writing it off...

• Upvote 1