Working for Wing IG

Bode

So I was just asked if I want to go work for the wing IG as either chief of exercises or inspections (they are both opening up). Can anyone provide insight into which one would be more interesting? It would be my first job outside of the flying sq and OSS. What are the positives and negatives of this? My other option is to work as an ADO.

Edited-changed plans to exercises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspections isn't a bad way to go. Take the opportunity to help your wing get rid of queep and the BS that doesn't matter. Make sure the guys at your wing waive the stuff that doesn't help your base or your mission.  It's all about "smart compliance" now (meaning you're supposed to actually say "no" to things; that's why it's now called an Effectiveness Inspection vice Compliance). Shoot me a PM with any questions. 

• Upvote 1

Stay in the squadron and fly as your primary job. Never volunteer to be attached and if you get wind that you are being considered for an attached or non-flying gig, resist it kicking and screaming!

Why? I'm currently attached and fly almost daily. Non-flying gigs I understand but this is still a flying gig. Just looking for justification.

Depends on what your personal goals are--if you're just trying to get more hours to get out to go to the airlines/reserves then definitely don't go outside outside the squadron.  If your goal is to stay in and try to become a future commander/get promoted then definitely take the wing job.  Pretty simple--neither is right or wrong, just depends on what you're trying to do.  

I think that's part of the problem, I don't care one way or another. I have enough time in I'm not worried about promotions and I don't care about building hours for the airlines. I have zero desire to fly for an airline when I'm done.

If dudes haven't been in AETC and are thinking CAF attached, two different ball games. In AETC an attached guy could fly 2x sometimes 3x per day if they want. And if they don't, they finally have a reason not to get abused by the scheduler. Plus, having a wg level job in AETC gets you the same surf duty title with 69% less work than CAF when it comes promotion time.

• Upvote 1

Then choose to be an ADO--it will be a lot easier than working at the Wing.

And as for promotions, the O-5 board could care less if you've been ADO, however, they do care if you've worked at higher posistions/bigger programs, preferably at higher staff levels above the Wing.  I'm not saying this to suggest one career path over another, just telling you guys what gives you the best chance for getting promoted (kind of hard to be a CC if you don't make O-5) if that's what you want.  Sure you can always stay at the squadron level and get promoted, but your chances are much more slim.  Figure out how the game is played and then decide how you want to play it...this isn't rocket science.